Expected architects fees?

flanagaj

@ETC

Do you, or any other architect, report back to your governing body about the perception that the ordinary public have of your profession?

When I have a complaint, i.e. the recent price rise in my coffee (third this year), I say something to the manager of the place.  I also ask if they report back on customer comments.  If they say 'no' or 'yes, but nothing happens', I write to the complaints department and let them know that I am not a happy customer.

It is not really up to an individual to take the wrath of potential customers/lost customers, without the organisation that charges you for professional membership, offering support.

Edited by SteamyTea

57 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Architects overcharge and are impractical. Need to afford that Jag and black linen suit somehow!

Engineers overdesign by at least a factor of 10.

Builders are all cowboys. And they never read drawings, have the latest on site or take any notice of them when they are on site.

Surveyors get in the way. B-list architects.

Planners are unreasonable. Really!!!??. C-list architects.

Building Inspectors are too fussy. Retired B-list architects.

Clients? it's a shame we need them. Architects never take any notice of them anyway. Just an inconvenience to the latest office grand design.

Don't worry BH is here to help with fair and polite enquiries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

@ETC

Do you, or any other architect, report back to your governing body about the perception that the ordinary public have of your profession?

When I have a complaint, i.e. the recent price rise in my coffee (third this year), I say something to the manager of the place.  I also ask if they report back on customer comments.  If they say 'no' or 'yes, but nothing happens', I write to the complaints department and let them know that I am not a happy customer.

It is not really up to an individual to take the wrath of potential customers/lost customers, without the organisation that charges you for professional membership, offering support.

I'm not practicing at the moment - so no.

On a flip side - how may members on here actually know who the governing body is for architects, (big hint - it is not the RIBA) what the difference is between an architect and an architectural designer is? or if members know that they can complain to our governing body about the service they get.

36 minutes ago, ETC said:

I'm not practicing at the moment - so no.

On a flip side - how may members on here actually know who the governing body is for architects, (big hint - it is not the RIBA) what the difference is between an architect and an architectural designer is? or if members know that they can complain to our governing body about the service they get.

The ARB. Very helpful when I spoke with them.  You can only complain about individual architects rather than a practice. The guy I spoke suggested there is the possibility of this changing in the future. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Thanks 1

Hah! It's amazing to see the forum is still in full flow with the architect bashing.

It's amazing the misunderstanding of what we actually do, fees are not just based on the time taken to do a task, I can do a house layout very quickly, but only because I've accumulated years of knowledge, worked with various planning departments, worked with different build methods on different types of sites, have appropriate insurance, have a network of consultants to deal with any scenario etc etc

The fact is that buildhub continually perpetuates the myths that architects only draw pretty pictures and don't have construction knowledge - and that percentage fees mean that architects don't have incentive to keep budget in mind etc.

It's just a nonsense and the old heads who dominate the forum giving out poor advice to people at the start of the process which can never be rowed back from.

Really the main reason that I stopped frequenting the forum, I'm amazed that there are still some who bother wasting time helping people and trying to defend a profession against ignorant misinformation.

The number of times I've heard on here that construction drawings are just a copy and paste exercise is crazy - especially post grenfell and in the throws of brexit.

In the case of the op - there are a number of options, whoever you decide to use - make sure that it's someone you can get on with, you're likely to deal with them for a reasonable amount of time. You get good and bad in all walks of life, look at previous work, maybe speak to previous clients. Go and visit the neighbours one which you want to mirror and make sure it's what you actually want too - building is expensive so make the most of it!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

still in full flow with the architect bashing.

There are only a few doing that, and they criticise everybody other than themselves.

As I mentioned before, I wonder what they do as jobs, if everything they do is perfect, and how much they expect to earn.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

Hah! It's amazing to see the forum is still in full flow with the architect bashing. Nothing changes. I think posters bash the architect when they should in reality bash those incompetents that give architects a bad name. Those (and I include qualified ARB Registered) that either ignore their client's wishes or are that incompetent that they haven't a clue what they are doing.

It's amazing the misunderstanding of what we actually do, fees are not just based on the time taken to do a task, I can do a house layout very quickly, (ssshhhh - don't say that - house design is a dark mysterious art that takes many years of hard work long, hours and hair pulling!!!) but only because I've accumulated years of knowledge, worked with various planning departments, worked with different build methods on different types of sites, have appropriate insurance, have a network of consultants to deal with any scenario etc etc

The fact is that buildhub continually perpetuates the myths that architects only draw pretty pictures and don't have construction knowledge - I learnt the hard way - a former boss swanned about in his BMW and I was left to do the construction and tender drawings - "must do" was a quick learning curve - and that percentage fees mean that architects don't have incentive to keep budget in mind etc. You have to admit though that percentage fees are similar to putting your finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing.

It's just a nonsense and the old heads who dominate the forum giving out poor advice to people at the start of the process which can never be rowed back from. I agree. Many members join to get advice on the design their "architect" has given them - turns out the "architect" isn't one and couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler.

Really the main reason that I stopped frequenting the forum, I'm amazed that there are still some who bother wasting time helping people and trying to defend a profession against ignorant misinformation. Again I agree. 

The number of times I've heard on here that construction drawings are just a copy and paste exercise is crazy - especially post grenfell and in the throws of brexit. But it's true!!!! - don't you have one of those big red buttons on your PC that just spits out full working and tender drawings while you have a few rounds of golf!:) I have one of those buttons and it amazes me how often people (even in my own office - not a practice by the way) say to me "sure that (a full set of tender drawings) would only take you a few minutes to do - here take a few quid for your trouble!!!!

In the case of the op - there are a number of options, whoever you decide to use - make sure that it's someone you can get on with, you're likely to deal with them for a reasonable amount of time. You get good and bad in all walks of life, look at previous work, maybe speak to previous clients. Go and visit the neighbours one which you want to mirror and make sure it's what you actually want too - building is expensive so make the most of it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

Hah! It's amazing to see the forum is still in full flow with the architect bashing.

No, 'we' don't. Not all of us.

Those who of us who do not comment may  just be sucking our teeth and thinking.... there they go again, bashing architects ... but we aren't in a therapeutic relationship with the architect-bashers, so we say nowt.

I would never consider a building project without employing an architect. And I would (did) spend ages choosing one. 

3 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

No, 'we' don't. Not all of us.

I second that, my only comment was an architect is not always required, I designed my build because I knew exactly what I wanted, been in the building game years and when finished it did exactly what I wanted BUT I am in the minority, most people need guidance on what is achievable and that is where an architect is valuable (as long as you get a good one 🤷‍♂️).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

sure, diving right into your situation, it sounds like you’ve got a solid plan shaping up! 🛠️ so, for the room layouts and drawings, you’re looking at getting an architect or a designer on board. they can whip up some options that’ll not just look good but also be super practical. these pros don’t come super cheap, though. you might be spending a few grand depending on how fancy you wanna get with it. getting the planning application sorted is like the next big step. usually, the same person doing your drawings can handle that. it’s a bit of a wait-and-see game with local councils, so fingers crossed there! 🤞 for the structural drawings, your architect can coordinate with a structural engineer. that’s another chunk of change, but it’s crucial for making sure your extension won’t go wobbly on you.

the build management part can get a bit tricky. if you’ve got the budget, a project manager can take a load off your mind by keeping everything ticking along. but yeah, if the price tag makes your wallet cry, getting a single contractor could cut costs. you just gotta stay on top of things to make sure they don’t cut corners. 🧐

with a two-storey and a single-storey extension totaling around 120m2, you’re not playing in the kiddie pool. construction costs can vary wildly, but you might be looking at something like £1,500 to £3,000 per m2. though, it’s always smart to get a few quotes to compare.and hey, have you thought about sustainable materials or tech? sometimes going green can save you some green in the long run with energy bills and such. plus, it’s good for the planet, right? 🌍always keep a buffer in your budget for those just-in-case moments. building’s full of surprises, and they ain’t always the fun kind. good luck with your project!