Bollards: DIY them - how hard can it be?

ToughButterCup

Have a look at the plan of our car park (the shaded area below). The road past our house is between the two red lines. STN 'A' is on our curtilage line.

parking.thumb.png.37741eebeb159adae7f3bb1adae0233f.png

Between spot heights 27.82 above and 28.29 and the edge of the road The red line) , we will be placing some slightly raised setts or cobbles, or cubes - set in concrete about  a meter back from the red line. (A rumble strip). But that alone won't discourage folk from using our car parking. It's there to remind people that they are off the road, and on our land.

Therefore we need bollards. We need bollards. I've never researched bollards until to day. Who knew they could be so complex? ( OK @Pocster did) 

Thinking about it a bit, they  need to be  removable. If my research is accurate, removable bollards can also remove a fair wad of cash.

Which leads me to ask - why not make some - how hard could  it be? ( Come back @Construction Channel )

Four posts, simply lengths of 4 by 4, (but make 6  - 2  for replacements)  painted black with reflectors built in. If I set them back one van  width from the curtilage line ( the red one above - i.e. well inside our curtilage) then the spirit of what we want; safety - openness  is  achieved. 

Or how about a length of foul drainage pipe, suitably painted - hmmmm, it'd look sh!te wouldn't it? 

Liability for damage to eejits cars who smash their sump off on the bollard - ?

Cyclists who wrap their bike on one  - ?

42 minutes ago, FuerteStu said:

Have you thought about getting 6 toddler outfits with welly boots, and putting a plastic bottle of red paint inside each one.. 

Hidden camera, easy £250

Make them like the kids from that film, Village of the damned. Nobody will stop anywhere near your house then.

• Like 1

https://www.barriersdirect.co.uk/bollards-c1022/plastic-bollards-traffic-cones-c1113/verge-marker-flexible-posts-recyclable-effective-at-highlighting-road-edges-bends-will-withstand-vehicular-impact

so expensive fir a bit of plastic, I second the 110mm drainpipe painted and a bit of reflective stuff or a few big boulders from the local quarry 🤷‍♂️

Edited by joe90

H Ian

Something you may want to consider.  Though they may not suit your situation on a country road.....

Outside our community in Spain we have a very busy main road and our main entrance is on a the brow of the curve. We introduced "traffic calming" by installing  bollards in the midle of the road, in an attempt to stop  drivers overtaking on the blind bend it's a 40kMph speed limt raod, but not unusual for cars to ovrtakinga 80/90 and , occasionally they still go on the other side of road(and the bollards) to overtake!

Anyway, we originally installed  expensive bollards and they kept being wiped out and cost us a fortune in replacing. In Late 2021, we came across a slimmer and cheap bollard and replaced  the lot.   The replacement are still standing, though when I looked again at the photos attached this morning a few were leaning and will need some attention this year. .

I have no idea if they are available in the UK but I attach a couple of links to Spanish websites (hito is the spanish for bollard)

https://syssa.com/es/senalizacion-vial/hito-vial/hito-h-75-desmontable-con-base-de-cauchohttps://gdstore.eu/145-hitos

https://gdstore.eu/145-hitos

https://www.signet.cl/hitos-viales/3458-hito-vial-amarillo.html

20230906_104649.jpg

20230906_104659.jpg

20230906_104847.jpg

Hi @ToughButterCup

Suggest you use a bollard system that won't need the ground digging up when struck and a CCTV camera for those who don't want to stop and pay for the damage.

Section 1(1) of the Criminal Damage Act 1971 creates an offence of destroying or damaging any property belonging to another person, whether intentionally or recklessly, without lawful excuse. This offence attracts a penalty of a term of imprisonment not exceeding ten years.

Driving Without Due Care and Attention. S3 Road Traffic Act 1988 provides that it is an offence for a person to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place “without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place”. Driving without due care and attention carries a penalty of either a disqualification, or between 3 and 9 points.

However...    Trespass is not of itself a criminal offence.

Good luck!

Marvin 

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

put some large rocks in the way.

Except that you might run over them yourself. or a passing by car blame you.

There are plastic bollards that pop up again, but people know that and drive over.

Plastic pipe would work. if kept to trip height they would look ok i feel. they can be painted. and chevron tape an be applied.

steel tube is very much cheaper than bought bollards,

in either pipe, put flat or concrete at the top, using scrunched paper to hold it there.

I favour timber posts though as they are replaceable, and this kind accepts a rail if you want.Birdsmouth fencing Fence Post

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Surely you want to over engineer this massively

Columnist and Technology

Our priorities are all wrong when it comes to new technologies

We can't get life-saving drugs, but we can get dubious self-driving taxis, says Annalee Newitz

By Annalee Newitz

30 August 2023

Members of SafeStreetRebel, a group of anonymous anti-car activists, place a cone on a self-driving robotaxi to disable it in San Francisco, California on July 11, 2023. Members of SafeStreetRebel, a group of anonymous anti-car activists, have been actively calling for participants to help protest the spread of robotaxis for malfunctioning and blocking traffic. (Photo by Josh Edelson / AFP) (Photo by JOSH EDELSON/AFP via Getty Images)

A member of Safe Street Rebel places a cone on a self-driving robotaxi to disable it in San Francisco, California

Josh Edelson/AFP/Getty Images

AFTER dodging covid-19 for several years, I finally tested positive for one of the leading causes of death where I live in the US. I’m vaccinated, but also in a statistically vulnerable group: I’m over 50, and I used to smoke. For people like me, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends treatments including the new drug Paxlovid. Studies show it reduces the viral load in your cells, preventing hospitalisations, long covid and severe symptoms. So I wanted to get it as soon as possible.

After staring blankly at my positive test, I went online and requested a late-night video chat with my healthcare provider, One Medical, which was recently bought by Amazon. Let that sink in for a minute, my friends. Some of you may be navigating the difficulties of a national healthcare system, but for those of us in the good old USA, we get our healthcare from techno-capitalism. And no, the free market version doesn’t solve the problems of state-funded systems.

My video call was routed to a random nurse somewhere in California, who told me there was no evidence Paxlovid was helpful against covid-19 because “there are so many new strains”. I said I had read articles saying it was, and he replied, “Oh, let me check.” It seemed as if he was doing a Google search. “No,” he said after a moment, “it only helped three strains ago. I can’t prescribe it for you. It would be off-label.”

I felt like I was being gaslighted. Paxlovid was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for use against covid-19 in May. I was in a vulnerable group identified by our federal government. I knew this guy was wrong, but I was too sick to argue. So I made another video appointment online with a different random nurse for the next morning. She took a look at my chart, talked to me about my symptoms and history, and finally prescribed the drug. I was lucky. Friends of mine have had to go to the emergency room to get a prescription, while others have suffered through weeks of debilitating symptoms or months of long covid because nobody would prescribe it.

None of this makes any sense. When the US made it available under an emergency authorisation in late 2021, Paxlovid was touted as the miracle drug we would all be taking for covid-19. But, as a recent survey found, doctors are leery of prescribing it. No one is quite sure why. There is no shortage of it and its main side-effects are pretty mild (a weird taste in your mouth, stomach upset). Yet I was denied a potentially life-saving treatment when I needed it – at least at first – for no good reason. So much for the idea that when an amazing new technology is available, we will all have access to it and our lives will be better.

Instead, we get questionable technologies that nobody asked for. Case in point: As of this August, California has authorised two companies – Alphabet/Google-owned Waymo and General Motors-owned Cruise – to run fare-paying, self-driving taxi services around the clock across all of San Francisco. Before this, they had been allowed to test their cars in a limited way in the city for a few years. The vehicles have caused all kinds of mayhem. They have interfered with emergency vehicles, stopped in the middle of intersections, got stuck in wet cement, created bizarre traffic jams and even killed a dog. One autonomous car drove through caution tape around a major house fire, rolling over fire hoses and menacing people on the scene. To stop it, firefighters had to take an axe to the car windshield.

Waymo and Cruise passengers use an app to call one of the cars, then jump into a vehicle whose steering wheel moves on its own over an empty driver’s seat. Within a week after rolling out autonomous taxis across the city, one was in a collision with a fire truck (the car’s human passenger was taken to hospital but had no major injuries). It seems like every day, we hear about another crash or traffic jam involving robo-taxis.

A local activist group called Safe Street Rebel declared a “week of cone“, where it urged people to put road cones on the hoods of self-driving cars. Apparently this is one of the only foolproof ways to make the cars stop. In a TikTok video that went viral, activists showed people how to position the cones properly and urged cities to stop greenlighting autonomous cars and fund public transit instead.

Meanwhile, Cruise is addressing problems by agreeing to halve the number of taxis it has on the streets. It isn’t clear how this will fix anything, since the issues have plagued autonomous cars for years. And yet the city’s train and bus systems, which once worked brilliantly, are underfunded and failing.

I can’t get a widely-available drug that can mitigate a life-threatening illness without a fight, but I can easily hail a robo-taxi that may cause mayhem on the streets. The future is here, but it’s absurd.

• Haha 1

"we can't have self driving cars, there was one person who got hurt by one month's ago..." 

*(ignore the fact that there are people killed by humans on the road every day)*

Self drive is safer that human drivers, and will only get safer the more miles they do. 

So what's this got to do with this post anyway?