Feng shui this ensuite

Currently going through the process of figuring out our a suitable ensuite/wardrobe layout. Black cavas, stud walls are not yet in place and the ensuite window is yet to be fitted, so we can pretty much do whatever we like. We don't have a massive amount of space, approx 4.5m x 4.5m to fit both the wardrobe and ensuite in. My preference would be to have a larger en-suite but SWIMBO wants more storage, a dressing table etc etc. We're thinking of something along the lines of this;

Screenshot2023-06-18at11_00_03.thumb.png.ee450d8cc39ac5eab0b7e9fcfdedd17a.png

Full length infinity shower on the right, velux window over head, free standing bath directly opposite beneath the window. Window has already been ordered and is not toughened glass so would need to sit approx 800mm up, which I think is OK?

Windows are all south facing.

Are we on the right tracks? Anything you'd change/recommend we consider before making a final decision?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnMo said:

Sitting on the toilet has your back to the entrance. Also from a practical view it becomes a pinch point the room,  I would have sink and toilet on the same wall.

The room is pretty long, 4.5m so we could have both opposite the door, I was a bit concerned that 1) having everything on the same wall might be a little snug and 2) if the W/C was opposite the door, opposed to the basin, is that a good idea? We're planning a pocket door there, so noise will likely travel more than typical. 

The cupboards in the wardrobe are too narrow to have rails for shirts and coats running parallel to the wall, would have to be perpendicular to the walls or use something like waterfall rails.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Sitting on the toilet has your back to the entrance. Also from a practical view it becomes a pinch point the room,  I would have sink and toilet on the same wall.

Or at least staggered.

My big issue is having to make the dogleg through the walk in wardrobe to even get to the en-suite.  I would have the door to the en-suite straight ahead as you enter the wardrobe from the bedroom, and then start planning the en-suite layout from there.

It would probably be better moving the door from the bedroom to wardrobe to the right to align with the existing door into the en-suite.

• Like 1

Couple of different options. Leaving the opening between the bedroom and the wardrobe would be easiest, not least because it's a 350mm thick solid brick wall. However I think the other option makes better use of the space we have and flows better...

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.27.51.png

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.21.00.png

26 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.27.51.png

For me, this one, BUT with WC and basin on the same wall (top in picture) Basin to right, wc to left (so WC is not in line with the door so less important to shut it)

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

For me, this one, BUT with WC and basin on the same wall (top in picture) Basin to right, wc to left (so WC is not in line with the door so less important to shut it)

A pocket door into the ensuite feels a little overkill for that design, I think I could probably get away with a standard one;

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 19.05.52.png

18 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

A pocket door into the ensuite feels a little overkill for that design, I think I could probably get away with a standard one;

That would work.

Did you consider partitioning the space top to bottom on the plan rather than left to right? In our house it's done that way and so you can get into either straight from the bedroom.

6 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

That would work.

Did you consider partitioning the space top to bottom on the plan rather than left to right? In our house it's done that way and so you can get into either straight from the bedroom.

It does currently look something like this;

Screenshot2023-06-18at19_32_39.thumb.png.d7992f0de6c018d9bf17f444e1dd7f1f.png

The wardrobe is currently a bit of a wasted space because there are openings on 3 of the walls.

1 hour ago, jayc89 said:

Yes that is the layout that floats my boat.

21 minutes ago, ETC said:

Where does the bed go?

In the latest design, presumably the bottom wall, as soon as you walk into the bedroom, which isn't great. Juggling the best for all three rooms is a bit of a faff. 

9 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

In the latest design, presumably the bottom wall, as soon as you walk into the bedroom, which isn't great. Juggling the best for all three rooms is a bit of a faff. 

One could argue you have the narrowest part of the space for the bedroom and the wider space for the wardrobe and en-suite.

For something completely different, bedroom door (from landing) into a corridor using the narrow part of the space for en-suite and wardrone and it then opens out into the wider space at the top in the plan as the bedroom.

That probably depends on window positions etc?

33 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Looks a bit small for a double bed and two bedside tables/lockers.

15 hours ago, jayc89 said:

This one is closest.

However you need more in the bathroom - it's going to look too empty. A 4.5m wall in a en-suite is long and I'd be wanting to put in a double basin to use up some more of it.

You may also have a problem with it being too echoey. Think about how you're going to finish the walls (tiles everywhere would be a bad idea) and whether you can get in any tall storage units or soft furnishings to break up and absorb the sound. It would have helped to have curtains at the window, but obviously not with the bath there.

Personally I'd seriously consider putting double basins (or a basin & WC)  by the window - so you can add a curtain - and put the bath (and WC) on the long wall.

Edited by Mike

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

This one is closest.

However you need more in the bathroom - it's going to look too empty. A 4.5m wall in a en-suite is long and I'd be wanting to put in a double basin to use up some more of it.

You may also have a problem with it being too echoey. Think about how you're going to finish the walls (tiles everywhere would be a bad idea) and whether you can get in any tall storage units or soft furnishings to break up and absorb the sound. It would have helped to have curtains at the window, but obviously not with the bath there.

Personally I'd seriously consider putting double basins (or a basin & WC)  by the window - so you can add a curtain - and put the bath (and WC) on the long wall.

We did consider a Jack/Jill basin unit but was worried it would look too cramped, similar the concern with putting the bath on the longer wall was with the room being quite narrow it might be a squeeze to walk past, you certainly couldn't get anything else on the opposite wall, and we still have laundry baskets etc to fit somewhere. 

Love a free standing bath but unless you widen the ensuite it will look squeezed in, not luxurious. A bit bigger bedroom will give more freedom for furniture layout too. See rough layout below. Here's an example (not mine sadly!) of the sort of ensuite I think you could achieve with a bit more space.image.thumb.png.8461313048a25631e5a1ccfe909f8794.png

9 hours ago, torre said:

Love a free standing bath but unless you widen the ensuite it will look squeezed in, not luxurious. A bit bigger bedroom will give more freedom for furniture layout too. See rough layout below. Here's an example (not mine sadly!) of the sort of ensuite I think you could achieve with a bit more space.image.thumb.png.8461313048a25631e5a1ccfe909f8794.png

Where does the toilet roll go? Do you have to lean to the back wall to get a few sheets?

On 18/06/2023 at 17:09, ProDave said:

big issue is having to make the dogleg through the walk in wardrobe to even get to the en-suite.  I would have the door to the en-suite straight ahead as you enter the wardrobe from the bedroom, and then start planning the en-suite layout from there.

Plus 1.

I would keep the en-suite door where it is, and create two walk-in wardrobes, one either side of the passsge to the en-suite door.his and Hera (other genders are available.)

The en-suite door should be ac regular door, not sliders, since they don’t provide very good soundproofing for toilet sounds.