Seriously, some landlords deserve misery.

CalvinHobbes

• 3 weeks later...

Hahaha this is 100% got to be trolling. 

But the sentiment remains...I've had a couple of landlords in my time that deserved a slap. 

On the flip side, I've had a couple of landlords who have genuinely cared about the property and me as the tenant. 

What about tenants that do drugs , get pissed , alleged rape , smear excrement over the walls , fill up a 120 bottles of piss , never pay any rent , move their partner in , bring a pet in ( like a large dog ) , threaten with a knife , extreme ( can’t emphasise that enough ) mental health issues ,have police attend every weekend , verbal abuse at anyone , wreck the place , put 10 cars in the rear garden , smoke illegal stinking shit , never attend court .

That’s just my starters list …

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

What about tenants that do drugs , get pissed , alleged rape , smear excrement over the walls , fill up a 120 bottles of piss , never pay any rent , move their partner in , bring a pet in ( like a large dog ) , threaten with a knife , extreme ( can’t emphasise that enough ) mental health issues ,have police attend every weekend , verbal abuse at anyone , wreck the place , put 10 cars in the rear garden , smoke illegal stinking shit , never attend court .

Could be worse, they could play Radio 1 loudly.

Or worse, local radio.

It's like Russian Roulette. We had a tenant just like @pocster describes 🙄 Current tenant is fine but I'd really like to sell up and get out of the game - just incase they go and we get a repeat of the previous lot. CG tax means this would be too big a shot in the foot though.

15 minutes ago, Radian said:

It's like Russian Roulette. We had a tenant just like @pocster describes 🙄 Current tenant is fine but I'd really like to sell up and get out of the game - just incase they go and we get a repeat of the previous lot. CG tax means this would be too big a shot in the foot though.

LL’s leaving in droves - have been for years ; accelerating now . Not just bad tenants but legislation , Tory ( or Labour ! ) anti LL rules and of course the current boe rate .

Where everyone lives that has to / wants to rent isn’t clear 🫤

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Radian said:

CG tax means this would be too big a shot in the foot though.

That’s the sting isn’t it . CGT . Hold and you risk / suffer . Sell and mr. Taxman smiles . No easy way out 😞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Oi, that's my late mother you're talking about.

She could never afford ten cars.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pocster said:

That’s the sting isn’t it . CGT . Hold and you risk / suffer . Sell and mr. Taxman smiles . No easy way out 😞

No easy way out for sure. Just today our tenant was told we're not going to fix the shower attachment on the bath tap which has stopped working. To fix it would require removing the bath to change the tap. I know because in 2014 I installed the bath with the tap pre-installed at the back. Always knew it'd come back and bite me on the bum some day. 😬

8 hours ago, Crofter said:

Surely a glut of properties on the market will have an impact on prices?

For certain . But that won’t help those that have to rent . 1st time buyers will be in luck assuming they can afford a mortgage at the current rates …

9 hours ago, Crofter said:

Surely a glut of properties on the market will have an impact on prices?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/jun/28/high-mortgage-rates-forcing-sellers-to-accept-lower-offers-on-homes-zoopla

Does seem to be happening a bit. The big question is whether the landlords swithering about cashing out decide to do it before the trickle becomes a torrent or not.

The CGT moaning isn't actually a barrier to getting out - it's a reduction in windfall cash, rather than a cost, so only really affects those who are, uh, allergic to contributing.

The number of houses in existence stays about the same either way, of course, so any artifical shortages induced by market failures can always be resolved through the judicious application of planning.

We sold a leasehold flat which completed in March this year for two reasons:

1) The EPC was a D and the proposed requirement to get to a C or less would be too costly and a PITA because it was leasehold.

2) The CGT allowance was about to half in the next (now current) tax year and will do so again next year.

We still own 2 others with great long term tenants and no EPC issues so will sit the current downturn out and review again in 5 to 8 years time.

The govt better start building some property for the rented sector and quickly. As Pocster states private landlords are being driven out of the market and there'll be more people on the streets/living in tents/mobile homes/canal boats etc.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have a few flats and they are all EPC E.  Victorian buildings in Conservation Areas.  They are electric heating and DHW.  It may be that installing gas boilers will get them to a C most economically!!

Personally I’d look into that now ! . I wouldn’t be certain a boiler ups it that much . Unsure how a conservation area affects what you can and can’t do ! 

53 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have a few flats and they are all EPC E.  Victorian buildings in Conservation Areas.  They are electric heating and DHW.  It may be that installing gas boilers will get them to a C most economically!!

You'd also need to get the consent of the Freeholder. Most flats don't have gas for safety reasons.