Seriously, some landlords deserve misery.

CalvinHobbes

What perhaps you guys don’t realise around 10k rental properties are lost a month .

For a ‘new’ landlord barrier to entry is an issue ; usually 25% deposit and stress test at 145% .

Building more properties is the answer ( to rent or buy ) but we all know no government has ( or will ) build enough quickly .

Just 5 years ago ; renting a flat - maybe 10 people contact me a day .

Now - I can get in excess of 200 .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

What perhaps you guys don’t realise around 10k rental properties are lost a month .

For a ‘new’ landlord barrier to entry is an issue ; usually 25% deposit and stress test at 145% .

Building more properties is the answer ( to rent or buy ) but we all know no government has ( or will ) build enough quickly .

Just 5 years ago ; renting a flat - maybe 10 people contact me a day .

Now - I can get in excess of 200 .

I was told around here there are 300+ applications for rental homes and the owners go through effective c.v's and no dogs no dhss is common. We got this rental through the architect and we have a dog.

Edited by CalvinHobbes

4 minutes ago, CalvinHobbes said:

I was told around here there are 300+ applications for rental homes and the owners go through effective c.v's and no dogs no dhss is common. We got this rental through the architect and we have a dog.

Ummm, new "rules" suggest any pet ( without aa proper valid reason is allowed ) and you can't be prejudice against DSS, family, (expletive deleted)ing anyone.

Whose property is it I wonder? ; as far as I am concerned it's mine and the lenders. There's going to be real issues heer as my mortgages/insurance say employed only for example.

Anyway; we wait for renters reform bill or Labour "lets make it even worse" bill.

Most of you guys have just 1 or 2 BTL as an investment/pension so it is different for you.

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter what the rules say, if a landlord can sift through cv's they will hardly pick anyone who isn't 'two working professionals who don't have a dog, kids or smoke'. I appreciate why but it's still crap for the many decent people who don't fit into that box. The answer I reckon is to turn many offices into residential. People I meet are constantly telling me they don't want to go back to office based working. I appreciate repurposing buildings isn't easy either.

Edited by CalvinHobbes

2 minutes ago, CalvinHobbes said:

The answer I reckon is to turn many offices into residential.

That’s been happening a lot in Bristol over the years, the BT office block I used to work in is all flats and the vehicle depot flattened for a housing estate.

• Like 1

Just now, Crofter said:

And what happens to them?

Do they lie empty?

Sold . So less property to rent was my point . 70% of landlords have just 1 or 2 btl’s . This is the ‘chunk’ of where the selling is occurring .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crofter said:

And what happens to them?

My rental (I was a landlord) became a first time buyer house! So one off the rental market but one off the “waiting to buy” market.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, CalvinHobbes said:

It doesn't matter what the rules say, if a landlord can sift through cv's they will hardly pick anyone who isn't 'two working professionals who don't have a dog, kids or smoke'. I appreciate why but it's still crap for the many decent people who don't fit into that box. The answer I reckon is to turn many offices into residential. People I meet are constantly telling me they don't want to go back to office based working. I appreciate repurposing buildings isn't easy either.

I take your point . Most tenants lie for example if you ask “ do you smoke ? “ . Also depends on the property . I’ve had tenants “ suddenly “ acquire a large dog in a 1 bed flat on the 3rd floor with no balcony . Hardly suitable is it . Yes ; the carpet was wrecked . Re purposing buildings is good - but it seems to be happening rather slowly and is only a fraction of housing that needed. The problem is : get rid of the private rental market then fine. You need to have something in place BEFORE you do that …..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Valley said:

You'd also need to get the consent of the Freeholder. Most flats don't have gas for safety reasons. 

I agree the gas safety is a potential issue.  Our firm own the freehold so no consent needed there.

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Sold . So less property to rent was my point . 70% of landlords have just 1 or 2 btl’s . This is the ‘chunk’ of where the selling is occurring .

I'm struggling to see why it's a bad thing to have more owner occupiers and fewer people renting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I agree the gas safety is a potential issue.  Our firm own the freehold so no consent needed there.

I used to love a gas hob but now, especially in an airtight property I will skip it. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/20/gas-stoves-benzene-levels-study#:~:text=measure benzene indoors.-,Even low doses of airborne benzene raise the risk of,gas stove is turned off.

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Personally I’d look into that now ! . I wouldn’t be certain a boiler ups it that much . Unsure how a conservation area affects what you can and can’t do ! 

I would want the EPC run before doing the boilers.  The other recommendations are not practical.  There are thousands of properties let near me which wont have much chance of making C.  Will the tenants need to be evicted?

• Like 1

Just now, Crofter said:

I'm struggling to see why it's a bad thing to have more owner occupiers and fewer people renting.

It’s not bad . You don’t live in your parents house when they pass away and work in the factory at the end of the street for life . Students don’t want to buy . 95% of my tenants move to my city for work - a new job . Most are around 22 ish years old . Not really looking to buy yet . Also contracts ( nearby I have a hospital , airbus , rolls Royce etc . ) massive employers of contractors . More people would buy a house if they could for sure . But millions don’t want to .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I would want the EPC run before doing the boilers.  The other recommendations are not practical.  There are thousands of properties let near me which wont have much chance of making C.  Will the tenants need to be evicted?

Lol ! That’s the zillion pound question. It was due 2025 ; now pushed to 2028 . As you can see if implemented many thousands of properties would be deemed illegal to rent . So yes eviction ; or you are fined . 
That’s simply another housing / rental issue on the way . I pay the bills in my hmo so why the (expletive deleted) ( as the bill payer ; not the tenant ) they will need to be a C is beyond me .

Edited by pocster

15 hours ago, Crofter said:

It is to do with having a mobile workforce, something that the UK has not been very good at.

Partly why there are a lot of motorhomes in the London suburbs, they would not be your first choice of city driving vehicle.  I suspect that the LEZ is forcing them further from the centre.

16 hours ago, Crofter said:

Because a rental market is required eg for th emillions of people with poor credit who cannot get mortgages, for those (eg single mum divorcees or many pensioners) who are on pension or the 41% of people on Universal Credit in employment often on a bit over minimum wage.

Or for those who are mobile by job requirement or choice.

F

16 hours ago, pocster said:

Lol ! That’s the zillion pound question. It was due 2025 ; now pushed to 2028 . As you can see if implemented many thousands of properties would be deemed illegal to rent . So yes eviction ; or you are fined . 
That’s simply another housing / rental issue on the way . I pay the bills in my hmo so why the (expletive deleted) ( as the bill payer ; not the tenant ) they will need to be a C is beyond me .

That's politics.

AIUI 2025 was D to be required. And there has been a game of hokey-cokey, which leaves me with no idea where it is at present, having been addressing EPCs in my rentals from about 2013 when the EPC-regulation programme was announced by Lib Dems in the coalition.

Also the definition of EPC changes depending on political goals. I would expect Electric Vehicle Charge Points to be a positive factor before long, as reducing C02 emissions from ICE ehicles.

On 10/06/2023 at 17:42, CalvinHobbes said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3086f7732d690df3091fd8e675b5c5f6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7a01839c3361994045f96cf66cea024f.jpeg

Isn't that a story from Yankland, where regulation hardly exists?

Here the Private Rental Sector is regulated to death (compare with other Western European countries), largely by clueless politician-twats who everytime they do anything make it far worse for tenants, because they are gagging to bash landlords rather than address making the system work effectively.

eg See what the last lot of legislation did to means of efficiently managing pet tenancies; everything went including extra pet deposits, professional clean at end as a condition of Fido living in, professional dog-behaviour check up front and so on, so that all that is left is a higher rent throughout.

In Scotland, for example. the PRS hs shrunk by 15% between 2015 and today, according to Scottish Govt figures.

Ferdinand

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

they are gagging to bash landlords rather than address making the system work effectively.

Isn't the landlord bashing an unforeseen consequence, rather than a political will, never look for malice when incompetence will explain it better.

Edited by SteamyTea

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Isn't the landlord bashing an unforeseen consequence, rather than a political will, never look for malice when incompetence will explain it better.

No I don't think so tbh.

I refer you to 20+ years of political rhetoric and media coverage.

A platform of ignorance has been built, that is believed and malice uses as leverage.

F

• Like 1