Hello

Hi everyone, newbie here. We are embarking on a self build project - never done anything like this before and pretty much trying to get a handle on the various processes while dealing with info overwhelm. Would appreciate any help with looking at our building plans. We plan to build with ICF and possibly go for passive house certification. Our architect has no experience of either (wondering if this is a mistake), we all appear to be working it out as we go along. Any thoughts, guidance, etc would be very much appreciated

• Like 1

Whilst you can learn as you go along 

It’s not ideal for your Architect to do the same As you will be paying him 

The design will need to take your specific build into account 

Might be worth shopping around 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SelfbuildNovice said:

@nodThank you very much. I think you are right. 

@pocsterthanks for the encouragement but it just doesn’t feel like I’ve “got this” right now 😀. Plans coming up

Mate !

I know (expletive deleted) all

Yet I am ( still ) building a mostly underground house with all the issues that entails .

Ignorance is bliss . Many have said “ you don’t know what you don’t know “

If I had understood everything from the start then 

a) I’m a seasoned pro and it’s easy 

b) (expletive deleted) that !

😁😎 . What’s life without adventure and risk ? ( ignoring all the shit bits of course ) .

• Like 2

On 22/05/2023 at 18:07, SelfbuildNovice said:

We plan to build with ICF and possibly go for passive house certification. Our architect has no experience of either (wondering if this is a mistake)

I’d say so. Do that shopping around and find someone who at least knows something about one of the disciplines, preferably both. 

• Like 4

I would say its more important you have a strucural engineer who understands ICF than the architect. After all an architect should be familiar with co-ordinating dimensions of any material e.g. bricks/blocks, etc etc. ICF shouldn't be that hard for them to get their head around. An SE on the other hand can waste you a vaste amount of money by over specifying rebar.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2023 at 17:18, Tosh said:

An SE on the other hand can waste you a vaste amount of money by over specifying rebar.

True .

My SE confirmed in general he over spec’d by 350% .. wtf !

For my foundation insulation ( concrete raft ) I had a spec . I called around and just couldn’t get any product at that level . Finally a guy said to me “ are you building a 10 storey ncp car park ? “ . I said no . He then told me to tell my SE to (expletive deleted) off and half the requirement . This I did . SE lowered the spec ‘ over the phone ‘ to half what was required ; which I could find at a sensible price .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

That is very sizable.  It is a fairly simple cube shape so should have a favourable surface area to volume ratio.  I couldn't work out the orientation.

I have seen Nudura around a fair bit recently and several people on here have used it.  Not so much Thermohouse but it looks a fairly similar product.

• Like 1

Not my thing from the outside but would make a really nice house. Looks a good, efficient use of space inside but I wouldn't want to build that size of house then find it's a real squeeze to get more than 10 in the dining room at Christmas. And it's be a right pain to be sat down then realise you fancy a condiment all the way across in the pantry. Don't know the orientation but I'd maybe consider swapping the snug and pantry about and playing with the layout. 

• Like 1

Sorry don't like at all. Exterior marmite.

There is so much wasted space - let's make it huge. But lounge is just long and no depth, kitchen is way out of proportion is just too big. Top floor, just strange.

Hope you don't need something out of the pantry when at a meal, everyone will be finished by the time you have got back.

• Like 1

@SelfbuildNovice As a new build I would have expected it to look a bit more contemporary but each to their own. In all honesty it looks like an extension/renovation project of an 80's "Executive House" where a checklist of desired rooms have been thrown in anywhere they can be made to fit but in this case it looks like most of those rooms don't actually fit or work very well.

As a starter, on the ground floor; is that a garage door to access the pantry from outside? What's all that about? If that really is meant to be a garage door then that will make your passive target more difficult.

Why is the pantry/utility so huge (what do people keep in pantries?)

The Snug won't be that snug as it's in the kitchen and you have to go through the Snug to access the dining room.

The living room looks very narrow but can be kind of expanded by opening it up to the hallway/stairs. Is that really something you're likely to do??

If you're going for passive you won't need that fireplace.

Which way is south? The shadows on the elevations are contradictory.

• Like 2

Some great constructive comments on the layout. Maybe the plant room could be in the rear of the garage ? Personally I like the external elevations. I guess they are made to fit in with the street scene ? I prefer it to mine which I am not brace enough to post  😜

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for the comments so far. Sooooo the pantry utility is really the garage with a utility & pantry created at the top end of the room. We have found a garage company that has passive house standard garage doors - think it’s called hausmann 

the poor lighting in the basement room is noted. Will draw to the architect’s attention for adjustment. Thanks for pointing it out

the front elevation design is to be in keeping with the street view 

Didn’t think about the distance & access from the dining to the kitchen until you pointed it out. Will need to remedy that somehow. 

The reasoning behind the closed off living room and dining is to keep it as formal entertainment space separate from our general living & cooking space. The sliding doors in the living room are actually to help open up the space fully because I don’t like that the space is so narrow, but retain the option of closing it off completely too when we want to. Will remove the fire place to create a free flow between both spaces. That said, I am pretty flexible re where every other space is. Would really appreciate suggested layout sketches.

The room on the topmost floor is the master bedroom. Designed to keep the sleeping area very quiet, away from the noise of tinkering in the dressing room & bathroom. Bothers me that it’s a trek to the bathroom. Don’t know how to work around that.

The roof space for PV- was told we can get a good number of panels on the south facing part of the roof as designed and that they should be sufficient for our needs but hey………

any sketches suggesting layouts will be appreciated 🙏 only just found the emojis #hopelesstechnophobe