New build designs........ Comments please

Hi

I am new to all this and been reading the forum for a while. Finally gathered the courage to post the designs and ready to receive comments. Its a slightly unusual design and probably not to everyone's taste. But all comments welcome. Thanks

274a716a-9590-4a76-9444-1e67b7b163ee.jpg

5649ea84-05ca-45fb-8123-1b6bad132e95.jpg

a802160a-8747-4439-a1c5-dcf5452b2a3f.jpg

Edited by GK22
Wrong attachment

I do like a double pitch roof, but for some reason on this it feels a little "unresolved".

Huff Haus have made it their USP in the kit house world and I've tended to like their form, but they keep things a little simpler, with more balance and symmetry.

It feels as if on yours everything is different, but without a good visual reason. I appreciate you've squeezed in access to a roof terrace under the central roof, but you can't read that from the primary elevation.

For me, I'd slope the garage roof the other way, so that it is parallel with the central roof. If the two house roofs can't be at the same height then I'd look for the same height difference between each height change. 

Hi. First impression is "nice!"

The 2 roofs need to be at the same height, as when stood on the terrace you'll be nose height with the lower 'blade'. I think that would be a regret.

Juliet balcony ( even if it is faux ) opposite end to the main balcony, as they appear to be openable double doors(?), and see if @nod likes it then :D.

On that rear, bare, wall section, consider a living trellis where the stainless wires are held off the wall by 200mm, and trim & maintain it / choose the plants to be minimal.

Garage roof is a bone of contention, as it's a second home to more PV. I'd prefer PV vs looks there tbh. 

Glazed facade is to the East, so solar gain should be less of an issue vs that lot facing South, but I would have a room-by-room PHPP analysis done to be 100% sure that the upper sections wouldn't benefit from some solar reflective coatings, but I think the 2x corner windows would defo benefit from it. I'd rather be looking to put a tiny bit of heat in vs having to get rid of it peak summertime.

Other than that I quite like it, and will be very jealous of you.

"Continue!".

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

The 2 roofs need to be at the same height, as when stood on the terrace you'll be nose height with the lower 'blade'. I think that would be a regret.

Juliet balcony ( even if it is faux ) opposite end to the main balcony, as they appear to be openable double doors(?), and see if @nod likes it then :D.

On that rear, bare, wall section, consider a living trellis where the stainless wires are held off the wall by 200mm, and trim & maintain it / choose the plants to be minimal.

Garage roof is a bone of contention, as it's a second home to more PV. I'd prefer PV vs looks there tbh. 

Glazed facade is to the East, so solar gain should be less of an issue vs that lot facing South, but I would have a room-by-room PHPP analysis done to be 100% sure that the upper sections wouldn't benefit from some solar reflective coatings, but I think the 2x corner windows would defo benefit from it. I'd rather be looking to put a tiny bit of heat in vs having to get rid of it peak summertime.

"Continue!".

I think I was being kind with office 

My took one look and said car showroom 

Seriously it like one of those where the Architect has be given free license and told don’t worry about the budget 

There isn’t one 

BUT If funds arnt an issue and you like it Build it 

• Like 1

Check the orientation. Architects use the view from the road (kerb appeal) to orientate their designs. They don't have to live in them. Solar gain is very important and the lift that South and West facing windows give you when you have lived with them cannot be bought. We had to completely rotate our bungalow because all the main rooms faced North and East.

IMHO overall it's a nice design. I like the entry view. The SE view has too much glazing and the NW view has too much render. Breaking up the render with timber cladding as in the entry view would help.

10 hours ago, nod said:

It looks like offices

It does, but very nice offices. I have designed and built several quite like this, so cleagly like the look.

People say ours, for offices and schools, are almost domestic, so not so officey , clearly.

These overhangs, which are such a big feature....they aren't enough to shade windows, so are entirely for show. They keep rain and wind off the high section of wall, so you will get a stripe of dirt or algae there. Allow for annual cleaning.

Ideal to build in steel. The overhangs would then be costing £250 / m run. So I hope you like them a lot.

Oh, and there are no gutters or rain water pipes. Oops.

Oh I posted my comment on the wrong thread! 😂 

I like the Huf Haus look. My wife’s uncle is an accomplished architect (retired) and built a Huf  10 years ago when he could have designed his own house. It looks as clean and fresh today as it did when built. 

1 minute ago, saveasteading said:

It does, but very nice offices. I have designed and built several quite like this, so cleagly like the look.

People say ours, for offices and schools, are almost domestic, so not so officey , clearly.

These overhangs, which are such a big feature....they aren't enough to shade windows, so are entirely for show. They keep rain and wind off the high section of wall, so you will get a stripe of dirt or algae there. Allow for annual cleaning.

Ideal to build in steel. The overhangs would then be costing £250 / m run. So I hope you like them a lot.

Oh, and there are no gutters or rain water pipes. Oops.

Architects don’t usually bother about practicalities like gutters 😂

The split roof and roof terrace seems to add a lot of complication, a lot of cost, and a lot to detail to get the air tightness and insulation right, for little benefit.  Fine if you have a big budget and you really do want that.

A conventional roof that meets at the ridge would be way easier to detail and get right, and if you already have  a balcony at first floor level for the view.

I would want some more windows in that blank wall, or some form of contrasting cladding panels to break it up.

The big overhangs will look nice if detailed properly, but have the potential to look poor if the detailing is wrong.  It's all about detail.

11 hours ago, IanR said:

I do like a double pitch roof, but for some reason on this it feels a little "unresolved".

Huff Haus have made it their USP in the kit house world and I've tended to like their form, but they keep things a little simpler, with more balance and symmetry.

It feels as if on yours everything is different, but without a good visual reason. I appreciate you've squeezed in access to a roof terrace under the central roof, but you can't read that from the primary elevation.

For me, I'd slope the garage roof the other way, so that it is parallel with the central roof. If the two house roofs can't be at the same height then I'd look for the same height difference between each height change. 

We have taken the inspiration from hut - haus but didn't want an exact replica and a bit of asymmetry.

I kept the roof terrace access for occasional use and for roof maintenance access etc., With the british weather its unlikely we could spend a lot of time there anyway.

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

"Continue!".

Thank you. Agree with the points on north elevation with a lot of render. Will break it with some cladding ideas and/or trellis.

room-by-room PHPP analysis - So far have got quotes for overheating calculations using Dynamic Thermal remodelling and SAP 10 Calculations & Predicated PEA's/EPC's  (Approved Document Part L) -

A bit out of depth here and need to do some research. Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

•  

3 hours ago, nod said:

I think I was being kind with office 

My took one look and said car showroom 

Seriously it like one of those where the Architect has be given free license and told don’t worry about the budget 

There isn’t one 

BUT If funds arnt an issue and you like it Build it 

Thanks. Glad this will at least be a nice car show room 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

render .......

Hi Dave

Still haven't finalised the final external finish. I am thinking of k rend/stone and timber cladding. But not sure which bits go where. Still debating

2 hours ago, patp said:

Check the orientation. Architects use the view from the road (kerb appeal) to orientate their designs. They don't have to live in them. Solar gain is very important and the lift that South and West facing windows give you when you have lived with them cannot be bought. We had to completely rotate our bungalow because all the main rooms faced North and East.

Thanks pats. have look at the attached too.. Let me know if you can't access it