New build designs........ Comments please

2 hours ago, Gone West said:

IMHO overall it's a nice design. I like the entry view. The SE view has too much glazing and the NW view has too much render. Breaking up the render with timber cladding as in the entry view would help.

Thanks. Agree and I replied to an earlier comment... render is still not finalised 

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

It does, but very nice offices. I have designed and built several quite like this, so cleagly like the look.

People say ours, for offices and schools, are almost domestic, so not so officey , clearly.

These overhangs, which are such a big feature....they aren't enough to shade windows, so are entirely for show. They keep rain and wind off the high section of wall, so you will get a stripe of dirt or algae there. Allow for annual cleaning.

Ideal to build in steel. The overhangs would then be costing £250 / m run. So I hope you like them a lot.

Oh, and there are no gutters or rain water pipes. Oops.

Hi

The 3D modelling was done early on and some of the design details are not incorporated. But the elevations in the pdf doc show the gutters and pipes.

Yes the roof is either Zinc or Greencoat based on the costs

image.thumb.jpeg.c8a7f80261e019455994a55acc39478a.jpegimage.thumb.png.26a272c8bedec70b01ce4a88454683ce.pngimage.thumb.png.26a272c8bedec70b01ce4a88454683ce.png

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Oh I posted my comment on the wrong thread! 😂 

I like the Huf Haus look. My wife’s uncle is an accomplished architect (retired) and built a Huf  10 years ago when he could have designed his own house. It looks as clean and fresh today as it did when built. 

Thanks Kelvin

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

The split roof and roof terrace seems to add a lot of complication, a lot of cost, and a lot to detail to get the air tightness and insulation right, for little benefit.  Fine if you have a big budget and you really do want that.

A conventional roof that meets at the ridge would be way easier to detail and get right, and if you already have  a balcony at first floor level for the view.

I would want some more windows in that blank wall, or some form of contrasting cladding panels to break it up.

The big overhangs will look nice if detailed properly, but have the potential to look poor if the detailing is wrong.  It's all about detail.

Agree with your comments. Did do a version without split roofs. See below... 

Absolutely with you on the detail of the final roof finish/soffits/edges etc. I am spending time on research and fine details. So any experts on metal roof finish please comment

image.thumb.png.f454123dd09ef85999c548a2a853c994.pngimage.thumb.png.598f430f7dda1d824153bf15e36e4ce7.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.a4c8c5b7a9f9459f722dfc6a4cb7aca2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.03497d967b6e74966a5ac5a7b7a970d6.jpeg

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

, and there are no gutters or rain water pipes. Oops.

I suggest that you insist these are worked out now, and shown on the drawings. You may be surprised how much they affect the appearance.

Your architect may duck this , saying it is detail for later. It isn't...get him to do it now.

If he can't, then there will be other issues too.

The oversails seem to be very slender. The roof structure will be much thicker, so this will be an add-on rather than continuation of the roof.

The gutter may even be deeper than that oversail is shown.

Perhaps ask now if this has been considered or is an aspiration.

Also ask if there are to be posts at the internals of the glazed corners.

Sorry to be picky, but making things work from impractical drawings has been a big part of my career.

I'm the one that says you need to deal with the rain.

I like Miami deco.

The rendering is perhaps Miami weather too. The sun is very high.

Not sure of the size. But that is an expensive building. £1M+ ?

It needs some scaling and rebalancing to work aesthetically for me but that's personal. At the moment it reminds me of an apartment building. 

I'm guessing a floor area of 400m². A 7 figure project I would say. 

The east/south east is highly glazed. You'll have high energy bills unless you think about this carefully. 

which one are you referring to ?

This. Though I see it has been cut and pasted from another project, or a book of typical details.: a steel building.....which i think yours should be with all these shapes.

It isn't much like your design at all, so it seems to be a distraction and I will ignore it.

This sort of detail: a lot of effort and putting the building at risk, only for the sake of the crisp eaves detail, is the stuff of the 'wrong sort of architect' as far as ai am concerned.

I am all for spending a bit on style, but the fundamental purpose of a building is to keep the weather out....or is that Philistine?

But the client will be paying the extra, listening to the gurgling and removing leaves from the 'secret' gutter several times a year, not the architect.

Let's be positive..you are being shown lots of ideas.

image.thumb.jpeg.03497d967b6e74966a5ac5a7b7a970d6.jpeg

3 hours ago, Iceverge said:

A 7 figure project I would say.

So we are agreed on that. I said £1M plus too.

@GK22 does that work for you?

The difference between the Alpine idea and the Miami one is probably about £250k for the same floor area.

55 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

The difference between the Alpine idea and the Miami one is probably about £250k for the same floor area.

I knew it'll add extra cost but didn't realise it would be this much. Can you let me know if there is an objective way to calculate the costs.

I am working on 2000-2400/m2 as over all build costs. Thinking of MBC high performance timber frame as the first option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iceverge said:

It needs some scaling and rebalancing to work aesthetically for me but that's personal. At the moment it reminds me of an apartment building. 

I'm guessing a floor area of 400m². A 7 figure project I would say. 

The east/south east is highly glazed. You'll have high energy bills unless you think about this carefully. 

MBC high performance TF with double glazing Reynars windows and doors

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GK22 said:

objective way to calculate the costs.

Of course. Somebody will do this for you at a cost. 

It can be approximate or more exact, but you will not know for sure until you finish designing and get contractors to quote. Even then you may get +/- 20% variation on the same design.

I just used gut feelings from experience in saying what the relative costs were.

If you were a real or potential client at this early stage then I would spend 5 minutes getting a rough feel of the cost, or an hour on getting a budget idea, or a week working out a quotation. The latter would be a waste of effort while you have so many options going on.

Presumably you have given your architect a budget.  Ask them how they are targeting it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I just used gut feelings from experience in saying what the relative costs were.

maybe I wasn't clear earlier. i have used a QS to get an estimate of the build costs already and in the process of getting quotes for the roof once the design detail is finalised.

Specifically i was asking how you arrived at that figure of extra £250 k just for the mono pitch roof design as compared to a standard roof.  So its your gut 😀

Yes. If you asked me the difference, that would be my immediate thought.

OR

Big squares are the cheapest buildings structurally and in details.

Every edge or change of direction will cost say £100/m

Oversails about £300/m

Plus £100k for the difficulties being designed in. 

Make that £350k, although i prefer the miami to the alpine, and the finished value would reflect the extra, if built in the right area.

So what is your QS saying, that you are asking BH?