Worktop overhanging on flush handless kitchen

Hi there

We have an issue with the kitchen island worktop.  Our units on the island are 1160mm wide, and we thought the edge of the worktop would finish flush with the front of the kitchen units. However, it is overhanging 20mm on each side (the worktop is 1200mm wide).

We spoke to the kitchen company they have said they design all their handless kitchens in this way with an overhang (they said they do this so if any water spills it goes on the floor, rather than ends up on the door if it is flush)  

However, there is no drip on the underside it is laminated exactly the same bottom and top.

Could anyone advise if there is any truth to what the kitchen company is saying?  

Aesthetically I think the worktop looks better flush. 

IMG_1490.thumb.JPG.f84f07eb5db5dee9024efb352116408a.JPGIMG_1487.thumb.JPG.85d6c4d4ad26876a91680a256fb5b23d.JPG

What make is it? Does it have a profile to form the ‘handle’? If so, I think they are correct as any spills would tend to flood the inside of the cabinets (drips will still track under the worktop though). However 20mm seems excessive, I think 10mm would be enough.

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Leave as is. In 3 months nobody will notice, and you'll have forgotten. 

Exactly. It’s only obvious when you look at from the angle of the second picture. In normal day use you won’t see it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Leave as is. In 3 months nobody will notice, and you'll have forgotten. 

Definitely - a case in point of sweating the small stuff - well done if you've got to this stage and this is what's worrying you. 

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Agreed technically, but i think there will be multiple bruises on thighs from these corners.

Would that not only an issue if you were inviting the local professional basketball team around?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bonner said:

What make is it? Does it have a profile to form the ‘handle’? If so, I think they are correct as any spills would tend to flood the inside of the cabinets (drips will still track under the worktop though). However 20mm seems excessive, I think 10mm would be enough.

It is a German brand called Stormer, it has a profiled channel that sits in a rebate to allow the door to be opened.  To prevent anything from tracking back where the worktop meets the top of the handless profile rail I could run a bead of silicon.  

9 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I think you will be really pleased with this when it is finished.  I hope the lift up units have servo drive or you won't have spent enough!

We stayed away from Servo drive, one reason was the cost the other was that we had been advised that they are prone to messing up.  So the lift ups are tip/push Blum ones. 

13 hours ago, cwr said:

I went flush on one I did a couple of months ago after setting the worktop in various positions. It was a comprise between aesthetics, finger access and drips.

Do you think aesthetically and finger access wise, flush was the way to go?

3 hours ago, revelation said:

It is a German brand called Stormer, it has a profiled channel that sits in a rebate to allow the door to be opened.  To prevent anything from tracking back where the worktop meets the top of the handless profile rail I could run a bead of silicon.  

I have something very similar from Nolte. Pretty sure they told me the worktop should overhang but I am sourcing my own so I can do what I want! I don’t think drips will be an issue, they are more concerned about a whole carton of milk running straight into the cabinet (for example). 

While aesthetics are important, so is function. If the worktop is flush, there is a risk that a glass of something knocked over on the worktop will end up in the cupboard. The work top only needs to be 10mm over-flush to tip the majority of a spill down the front of the door, rather than inside the cupboard. I know this as it's happened in our kitchen.

If it needs to stay as over-flush as shown in your image, could you add edge handles, if you can find a short enough handle that will remain under-flush to the work top. ? They might also reduce the fingerprints on the doors.

image.thumb.png.eaaff5f9ed9ad6589d61a4e3d3f38951.png

I sort of agree with don't sweat the small stuff and be happy with what you have. But I template kitchen tops every day and if the doors are fitted straight i would have done 2-3mm overhang. Max 10mm if doors are a bit out but never 20mm on handle less. However that profile gives a lot of room to get your fingers in so I'm sure you will get used to it and not notice

16 hours ago, IanR said:

While aesthetics are important, so is function. If the worktop is flush, there is a risk that a glass of something knocked over on the worktop will end up in the cupboard. The work top only needs to be 10mm over-flush to tip the majority of a spill down the front of the door, rather than inside the cupboard. I know this as it's happened in our kitchen.

If it needs to stay as over-flush as shown in your image, could you add edge handles, if you can find a short enough handle that will remain under-flush to the worktop. ? They might also reduce the fingerprints on the doors.

As we went for a handless kitchen putting handles on is something we don't really want to do.  I am inclined to bite the bullet and get a new worktop that is the exact right dimension.  

Due to the colour and the finish of the units I am not concerned about fingerprints.