Worktop overhanging on flush handless kitchen

5 hours ago, Elton said:

I sort of agree with don't sweat the small stuff and be happy with what you have. But I template kitchen tops every day and if the doors are fitted straight i would have done 2-3mm overhang. Max 10mm if doors are a bit out but never 20mm on handle less. However that profile gives a lot of room to get your fingers in so I'm sure you will get used to it and not notice

If it has been up to 5mm I don't think I would be so bothered, but 20mm is a lot.

I just checked ours, it overhangs by 2-3mm. If a large amount of liquid is spilled 90% of it goes down the front/onto the floor.

20mm is surely going to result in scraped knuckles.

Putting handles on a handleless kitchen is a non starter.

I would be asking for a new worktop. I guess the argument comes in to whether you were told/asked about the overhang, was it shown on drawings you signed off etc? I think that is a laminate worktop, so presumably they cannot cut it down.

On 23/03/2023 at 02:01, revelation said:

Aesthetically I think the worktop looks better flush. 

I agree.

7 hours ago, revelation said:

I am inclined to bite the bullet and get a new worktop that is the exact right dimension.

If it really bugs you, then change it, is my view on things. I was told everything had to be flush.

Worktop.thumb.JPG.55c1151b55e34f022c4afabaee08513d.JPG

16 hours ago, AliG said:

I just checked ours, it overhangs by 2-3mm. If a large amount of liquid is spilled 90% of it goes down the front/onto the floor.

20mm is surely going to result in scraped knuckles.

Putting handles on a handleless kitchen is a non starter.

I would be asking for a new worktop. I guess the argument comes in to whether you were told/asked about the overhang, was it shown on drawings you signed off etc? I think that is a laminate worktop, so presumably they cannot cut it down.

Ours is also only a couple of mm at most, very similar to @Russdl.  Any more than this with a handleless kitchen and finger access becomes a problem IMO.  So, unless 20mm was explicitly discussed and/or drawn and signed off I'd be going back to them.

Aesthetically I agree with others it's only a minor detail in the grand scheme of things, but if using the kitchen is going to be a pain for years to come, or if you are going to need to add handles to a handleless kitchen to make it usable.. that is a significant issue. 

• Like 1

Beautiful kitchen, why don't the units closest to the garden go right to the wall?

My worktop has a smaller overhang, it seems quite large. Who templated it? kitchen company?

I doubt you need a whole new worktop, they can probably remove it, cut and refit.

On 25/03/2023 at 08:40, Gone West said:

I agree.

If it really bugs you, then change it, is my view on things. I was told everything had to be flush.

Worktop.thumb.JPG.55c1151b55e34f022c4afabaee08513d.JPG

Your kitchen is not a true handleless one, but a j-pull one. So it's a bit different and you can have the worktop flush like that

47 minutes ago, JoeyF said:

Your kitchen is not a true handleless one, but a j-pull one. So it's a bit different and you can have the worktop flush like that

No/minimal overhang (for fingers to get in and able to pull doors) is more important with handleless than with j-pull

Edited by Dan F

On 29/03/2023 at 19:15, JoeyF said:

Beautiful kitchen, why don't the units closest to the garden go right to the wall?

My worktop has a smaller overhang, it seems quite large. Who templated it? kitchen company?

I doubt you need a whole new worktop, they can probably remove it, cut and refit.

Well noticed, We have some curtains which will hang from a ceiling track, during the day we wanted the curtains tucked back out of the way of the doors.  The kitchen company designed and supplied the worktop, it is a compressed laminate top so has been factory cut and edged, so could probably be done but would have to go back to the factory and then be done there.