WiFi repeater over ethernet

I am looking to put Wifi in the garage, I have ethernet out there, I just want to extend the house Wifi for seamless connection - I have looked at a couple of Wifi Repeaters with ethernet but when you read the reviews you get mixed signals.

Has anyone bought a little, inexpensive, easy to configure repeater, which is working via ethernet that they are happy with, robust, easy to configure etc.?

Thanks.

I did similar and used two BT home hubs, Home Hub 3s I think they were. One as the main router then the other as an extender. Works for other makes.

This gives the gist:

https://owenkelly.uk/bt-hub-extender.html

The latest BT router we have gives better coverage so the 3's are consigned to the "might come in useful one day" box.

I use an Asus router and a BT infiniband modem (bought 2nd on eBay).  We used to get crap WiFi on the upper floors because our ecoJoists seem to degrade the signal through floors, ditto outside.  I have since bought 3 more Asus routers cheap on eBay to cover these areas: Asus routers will mesh (that is the main router acts as a master and the others slave off it, and all use the same SSID, etc.) so our mobile devices automatically pick the strongest signal.  BT and other providers now offer similar.

• Like 2

We have the two of these. Very happy with them. I'm not that interested in such things, just wanted it to work so I blindly followed the advice of a mate. 

Easy to set up as far as I can remember. Haven't touched it in two years. 

image.thumb.png.562889efe136a9e820c982e997465a85.png

image.thumb.png.ce25c9d23cf52e1840cd8115076903f7.png

If you are looking for seamless, you need to be buying a mesh network product. I've had Tenda, connected to router, and then ensure you turn off the routers wifi, but I've now got a TP-Link Archer setup, the router itself has OneMesh built in, so just had to buy a compatible Mesh adapter to join into it, works a treat.

Got the VR600 from Ebay (Be careful you get one which does support OneMesh, as they don't all support it), and adapter off amazon, both bits cost me the grand sum of £60, Tenda setup was similar price.

The 'mixed signals' you speak of is because the BSSID of the Wireless network will differ on the extender to the router, meaning you'll get a disconnect and reconnect. A mesh network allows you to keep the same BSSID on all devices, and 802.11r allows fast roaming, no loss of connection.

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

I’ve got to link ax3000 and deco m5 in a stone barn I just had to check which models and noticed that the cheap outside Wi-Fi camera on the cow shed has decided the best signal is 30 meters away in the lounge of the stone barn.   Sometimes it gets the signal from a deco that’s in another barn but we have equipment that can block it so it just finds the next signal. 
it’s definitely not cheap but is simple to set up and works well inside and outside. 

repurposed routers here. Huawei 4g modem/router covers one end of the house , then an old Talktalk hub does the other, and a Draytek out in the garage. They're all joined together (along with all the house cat5 points) by a dumb switch in the plant room.

I've got a pair of Draytek APs that have been working well. Got them second hand from ebay. Easy for me to set up but I've done a few before. 

Most Routers give out IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx . That difference (the 0.xxx or 1.xxx) can make life a bit harder if the factory default IP address for your new AP is the other one. If its the same then its usually fairly straightforward to set up most APs. 

The things you normally want to change are:

The SSID (the network name) to make it easier to recognise.

Ths password

The channel number (use a mobile phone app to identify empty channels for best performance.  Too many devices default to channels 1 to 4). 

2 hours ago, Temp said:

Most Routers give out IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx

BTW, it is well worth avoiding these 0 and 1 subnets if you ever want to implement VPN back into your LAN as most coffee shops, etc. use them, and the routing algos can get confused when the guest LAN that you've connected to and the home LAN have the same subnet.  Just pick any other yyy in the  192.168.yyy.0/24 subnet such as xxx=44 or 111 or whatever.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2023 at 17:27, Temp said:

I've got a pair of Draytek APs that have been working well. Got them second hand from ebay. Easy for me to set up but I've done a few before. 

Most Routers give out IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx . That difference (the 0.xxx or 1.xxx) can make life a bit harder if the factory default IP address for your new AP is the other one. If its the same then its usually fairly straightforward to set up most APs. 

The things you normally want to change are:

The SSID (the network name) to make it easier to recognise.

Ths password

The channel number (use a mobile phone app to identify empty channels for best performance.  Too many devices default to channels 1 to 4). 

I use Draytek's as well, the one I got with the BB, recommended by the ISP and a similar one I had lying around, who knows where from.

I do have 'business' BB as when it was installed it meant I had a static IP and I could connect here from anywhere.  I've not looked lately if any of the bigger / cheaper boys will give you a static IP.

I have a long thin old house with thick walls so from one end to the other it had to go through 4 walls and rarely did.

Now I have the extender at one end it even stretches to the annex where my daughter lives.

No fancy set up just log on as admin, being Draytek the default IP was 192.168.1.1 in both cases, so easy to change one to something else and change the name.

Now I have upstairs as well through the floors.

We still have holes in the ceilings waiting to be filled from when we had ethernet to the kids bedrooms many moons ago.

Our wifi is reliable, but slow as still on copper.

A number of neighbours have managed to get FTTP, but have drop out for some reason.

As I WFH I can't risk that so waiting to see what BT are doing as they are both with BT.

We are a long way from the green cabinet, further than either of these neighbours so it's a wait and see scenario.