Cheap sturdy vacuum cleaner for DIY cleanup

20 minutes ago, Radian said:

Aldi usually do a 'shop vac' that has optional bags. ~£60 when I got mine a while back.

Cheers. Never though about the middle isle. I'm usually not allowed as I return from Aldi with milk, bread and snow chains. 

our local household auction has Henry's every week that sell for about £20 plus their sizeable commission, we have had our henry for 25+ years and he has been heavily used and abused.
That saying HID bought a bigger one at said auction, exactly like a Henry but twice the size specifically for the new build as I need Henry in the house.
He has outlived probably 8 Dyson's which can't cope with cat hairs, dog hairs, horse hairs (my hair) and lots of dirt from all the above.

So, you could investigate if you have such an auction locally to you.

• Thanks 1

Henry are good, Dyson bad, they don't like building dust and it voids the warranty.  Been there done it, one broken Dyson. 

Henry was used when I ground away a huge high spot in my concrete floor, 7 bags of concrete dust later it was still running fine, 18 months later - still running fine.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. 

Never thought about the auction route. Henry's do seem to have a good rep for handling abuse. Will see if I can find a 2nd hand one and check out the other options too. 

As usual we were unprepared and ploughed on regardless. Might have been an idea to sort the hoover last week before we stared ripping plaster board off walls. 🙄

I  have one of these. Wet and dry, battery powered. Einhell.

Its great for builders stuff straight into the drum, and no cable to trip on or find a plug for.

Being so portable, it is easy to use for a few seconds tidy of dust or small rubble.

Downside is the biggest battery only lasts about 10 minutes, so a spare is required, or recharge. 

Or there are mains equivalents, much cheaper.

Einhell 2347131 18V Power X-Change 20L Cordless Wet & Dry Vacuum Cleaner - Red

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I bought an inexpensive Titan vacuum from Screwfix. Seems to do the job on our site. Think it was about £40

think it was this one 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb774vac-1300w-16ltr-wet-dry-vacuum-220-240v/826kh

£50 now. 

Am I the only one looking with horror at that 1300W? Since the cost of energy racket began, I've been noticing how much power our various vacuum cleaners take. They all seem to be pretty similar in how good they are at sucking up stuff but vary by a factor of two to three in their power consumption. The main difference is in how bloody loud they are. I think this is why the EU legislated for lower wattages as the manufacturers were deliberately making them less efficient on the basis that people were mainly judging products worth by which one had the higher power ratings. Not any more!

I have the bosch gas 35 m class extraction. You can use it with it without the bag depending on how problematic the dust is. The extra long hose is very useful and it has an alarm when it's full or blocked. Overall it's a brilliant machine which is well suit for professional use, but it had a shitty flaw built in to it. After using it for a few weeks its pitch sounded off and it lost suction. Turns out that the internal soft foam sound insulation had come loose and blocked the exhaust. Had to opening it up and fix it once and eventually I removed it all together. It's overly complicated in there too.

4 out of 5 I guess. 

10 hours ago, Radian said:

Am I the only one looking with horror at that 1300W? Since the cost of energy racket began, I've been noticing how much power our various vacuum cleaners take. They all seem to be pretty similar in how good they are at sucking up stuff but vary by a factor of two to three in their power consumption. The main difference is in how bloody loud they are. I think this is why the EU legislated for lower wattages as the manufacturers were deliberately making them less efficient on the basis that people were mainly judging products worth by which one had the higher power ratings. Not any more!

Didn’t even cross my mind. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

Didn’t even cross my mind. 🤷‍♂️

Having worked hard to get our baseline power demand under 500W, I regularly look at our daily power plot and wondered what was pushing us over 2kW for most of one morning - then I twigged it was me in the woodshop with the dust extractor on. Prolonged use can get expensive!

I've come to the conclusion that bagless vacuums are rubbish, especially Dysons. 

The filters get clogged very fast and a 99 year old asthmatic smoker would have more suck.  There's always a terrible mess when you go to remove the dust inside. 

Then we got a Meile C3.

THE THING IS AWESOME. Off brand bags are less than £1. 

1 hour ago, Radian said:

Having worked hard to get our baseline power demand under 500W, I regularly look at our daily power plot and wondered what was pushing us over 2kW for most of one morning - then I twigged it was me in the woodshop with the dust extractor on. Prolonged use can get expensive!

at the moment all I care about is getting the ******* house finished! 😂

I bought a Wickes branded Earlex WD1000 over 30 years ago. Still my goto shop / car vac. It's had one full strip down and clean. The thing just goes on and on. I've two identical combi filters I alternate between. Just hose them off and let dry. Chippy mate has the same one and loves it the same.

Wish I'd bought another when TLC were selling them off.

They sometimes come up on Gumtree etc.

EXWD1000.jpeg.95660b4f4c99ebc1d7dcc829cb74c8de.jpeg

Was supposed to pick up a Henry this morning from a local Facebook group but the seller went silent today so ended up with this karcher for 55 quid. https://www.diy.com/departments/karcher-wd-2-plus-1-628-002-0-corded-wet-dry-vacuum-12-00l/4054278653884_BQ.prd

Has done a solid job cleaning up the mess from the plasterboard getting ripped off the windows. Other half forgot we have dust sheets!

Cord could be longer that's my only minor niggle. Hose extension tubes are decent length so I could get right up to the top of the ceiling (3m). How long it'll last... Who knows. Would have gone this the screwfix one it's not something they hold in stock. At least I have plenty recommends if it packs in on us. 

10 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Then we got a Meile C3.

THE THING IS AWESOME.

Miele cat n dog is good vacuum. That thing is the bees bits. Think it's about 8 years old now and hasn't degraded at all. Cheaper than other popular makes when we bought and solid guatentee.  Couldn't bring myself to use it for DIY clean up although I don't doubt it would cope for a bit. 

• Like 1