Pre hung doors

Pocster

Yes provided you don't bash them about. A friend of mine has a business making them for the big contractors and his order book is full to the end of the year for housing estates, new hospitals and, as you mentioned them, new hotels. Unless you are a carpenter of experience you won't do a diy job anything like as good but it will be cheaper and perhaps more satisfying for you.

Edited by MikeSharp01

I recognise Deuren is Flemish for doors. That got me interested as the best quality doors I've ever seen were at a self build show in Brussels. They say.. 

In addition to our UK manufactured internal doors, we are committed to supplying and adapting luxury internal, external doors and garage doors from renowned designers and manufacturers across Europe.

Something like 80% of new houses in Belgium are self builds and the Europeans do seem much more quality conscious than your average UK house builder/buyer so I wouldn't be surprised if their European doors are very good. Perhaps go visit them?

I looked at these and found their cost comparison was "generous" when it came to the likes of hinges etc. 

Positives are that the doors are incredible quality - negative is the price ..! They are also prone to damage as you have to either  fit them prior to plastering and cover them up, or add cost for lining the frames and then going back with the sets at second fix. 

9 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Or if you are a mere mortal you go get a Jeldwen pre-hung door set at a fraction of the cost?

I think @Tennentslager fitted such a thing recently.

That was one of the B&Q replacement doors rather than a proper pre-hung door system. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I looked at these and found their cost comparison was "generous" when it came to the likes of hinges etc. 

Positives are that the doors are incredible quality - negative is the price ..! They are also prone to damage as you have to either  fit them prior to plastering and cover them up, or add cost for lining the frames and then going back with the sets at second fix. 

I will visit them and the quality does seem fantastic. But yes I assume you install them pretty much when all the decoration is done.

10 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Those prices are scary. 

Our last house had 16 doors including matching wardrobe doors. 

I cant comprehend what sort of budgets some people have. 

I remember watching the documentary film about AP McCoy trying to ride a record number of winners in a season. I know there are nice houses and then there are nice houses but his dressing room blew me away. I couldn't even begin to estimate what it cost.

I love Dueren but they are hugely expensive.

We are having doorsets, quite pricey but not Dueren prices. I think they are German - nice quality with good hinges and magnetic catches, we have chosen Italian handles. I didnt like any if the Jeldwen type ones.

9 hours ago, lizzie said:

I love Dueren but they are hugely expensive.

We are having doorsets, quite pricey but not Dueren prices. I think they are German - nice quality with good hinges and magnetic catches, we have chosen Italian handles. I didnt like any if the Jeldwen type ones.

Can I ask where from? 

10 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Can I ask where from? 

doorsonline in Norfolk. Their prestige range. Sizes to suit  and they can finish doors in their own workshop too so the ones I want RAL sprayed can be done by them. The rest are Oak plus I have a couple of pocket doors and they were able to accomodate a recess in one so I can fix a mirror to it (dressing room). 

doorsonline.co.uk Ryan is the best man to speak to.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lizzie said:

doorsonline in Norfolk. Their prestige range. Sizes to suit  and they can finish doors in their own workshop too so the ones I want RAL sprayed can be done by them. The rest are Oak plus I have a couple of pocket doors and they were able to accomodate a recess in one so I can fix a mirror to it (dressing room). 

doorsonline.co.uk Ryan is the best man to speak to.

Looks like their website has been hacked. It re-directs to random URL's. If you've got an email you might want to let them know.

Ah, EDIT: Unless its actually these guys: http://www.doorsuppliesonline.co.uk/

1 hour ago, dimpsy said:

Not sure how they compare on price with Dueren but worth a look.

http://www.mooremooredoors.co.uk

This is who we used - can't remember the exact bill - think is was about £6k for 14 doors. Really please with the finish - we were looking for a grey wood finish and it was spot on for the house.  They do/did have a display at the self build place in Swindon.

Another benefit is the standard doors are higher than Standard uk doors so you actually pay less for a bigger door (which I think look better). They don't install but have someone they recommend who knows how to do the doors and is nt expensive at all.

yes sorry I got the web address wrong..... in a hurry when I did it. door supplies on line are the people.

We decided againt the italian doors from Jenny Moore because they did not give us the flexibility we wanted with the different finishes and different doors within the house. My German doors are quite tall can't remember offhand but taller than the average UK spec. Our hardware is pretty similar.

The Italian doors are very nice but not Dueren quality I would say they are comparable to door supplies online premier range.

Edited by lizzie
pressed send to early

Just had a conversation with Door Supplies Online and must say I was impressed.  no hard sell but plenty of (hopefully) good advice and suggestions.  we have two doors to get for the bedrooms which appear to be rather unusual sizes.  If I get a normal sized door, it will mean taking 100mm off the height which may look rather strange and will invalidate any guarantee.  But they do made to measure so waiting to hear back with a quote.  And when we do the bathroom walls, we will make sure we have the doorset and make the doorway to fit!

1 hour ago, TheMitchells said:

Just had a conversation with Door Supplies Online and must say I was impressed.  no hard sell but plenty of (hopefully) good advice and suggestions.  we have two doors to get for the bedrooms which appear to be rather unusual sizes.  If I get a normal sized door, it will mean taking 100mm off the height which may look rather strange and will invalidate any guarantee.  But they do made to measure so waiting to hear back with a quote.  And when we do the bathroom walls, we will make sure we have the doorset and make the doorway to fit!

I have been very impressed with them, nothing too much trouble.