Rong again .... inlet valve needs moving .... or is there another way?

Proper little head-slapper this one - have a look at this......

MVHRoutlet.thumb.jpg.090eca4d9e9fd5845e71ac08a10def5b.jpg

The valve assembly has been removed. It sticks out about 20mm below the ceiling. In the photo, there's about 10mm between the top of the fridge door and the ceiling.

A mate popped round and when he stopped laughing, he suggested that it would be 'better' to sink the inlet into the ceiling by 12mm than Re-positioning the entire valve assembly about 500mm away from edge of the open door. (Like this)

corrected_MVHRoutlet.thumb.jpg.f117d602ae2d63dceaedac291f8d7f9b.jpg

What he meant was 'You'll make a cock up  of moving the whole thing easier than' ...

doing this

solution_MVHRoutlet1.thumb.jpg.cedbd0103767defe91c0e43cf325bf0b.jpg

• Cut the grey inlet pipe back by 12mm or so (Dremel with a cutting wheel)
  • Cut the PB hole bigger (168mm o/a) so the 'flange' recesses into the ceiling

If I do follow his idea, I'm wondering how on earth to make the cut edge of the PB look really neat - and perfectly circular.

Worse, I'm wondering what I haven't thought of as a potential problem.

Of course I could arrange to do the job when he comes round and make him own the follow-on problems......

Ideas? Warnings?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

3D print a custom plastic piece to recess it and look neat. You sketch it, I'll print it.

I've not managed to sit down and learn 3D modelling just yet! I get all my stuff to print from Thingiverse. I've been lucky so far in that I've found models for what I've needed but no doubt the time will come when I can't find what I want and I'll have to model my own. without wanting to de-rail this thread.....any tips on learning 3D modelling?

@ToughButterCup we’ve got valves that are relatively flush, not sure if they’re less than 10mm though.

When I get home on Tuesday I’ll measure it and see, if you haven’t come up with a solution by then. 

@ToughButterCup nope,

sorry. Well over 10mm depth to our ceiling valves. 

Edited by Russdl
Update
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

I've not managed to sit down and learn 3D modelling just yet! I get all my stuff to print from Thingiverse. I've been lucky so far in that I've found models for what I've needed but no doubt the time will come when I can't find what I want and I'll have to model my own. without wanting to de-rail this thread.....any tips on learning 3D modelling?

Fusion 360 seems to be the place to start if new to it all. My lad uses it and is a dab hand. I believe it is getting more restrictive as time goes on, with features being removed. No doubt heading to a fully paid for platform!

I still use AutoCAD as I'm old! 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thorfun said:

Can you write code, as in program in C or similar? For some applications OpenSCAD can be more intuitive for coders.

8 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

A mate popped round and when he stopped laughing, he suggested that it would be 'better' to sink the inlet into the ceiling by 12mm than Re-positioning the entire valve assembly about 500mm away from edge of the open door.

I always like to see a spot of Frenching

f7b967f672d1acdeafb1ae77210cb124--pinstripe-tail-light.jpg.cdf8102033562fe06ccd839a9e76a2d1.jpg

1 hour ago, Radian said:

Can you write code, as in program in C or similar? For some applications OpenSCAD can be more intuitive for coders.

never learnt C. did a bit of Objective-C before Apple moved to Swift. and have done some Python and Perl.

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

Fusion 360 seems to be the place to start if new to it all. My lad uses it and is a dab hand. I believe it is getting more restrictive as time goes on, with features being removed. No doubt heading to a fully paid for platform!

I quite like OnShape this is very like solidworks in interface terms but is browser based and more than fast enough, it also has full collaboration features so several designers can work on the same drawing / part / assembly at the same time. The free version, marketed for the maker community, has only one limitation in that every part you draw is open for others to work with (not shared). It creates all the standard file types.

9 hours ago, Thorfun said:

never learnt C. did a bit of Objective-C before Apple moved to Swift. and have done some Python and Perl.

Parametric CAD might suit you then. Often I start with a bunch of dimensions and think of the part I want in a simple modular fashion. This is when I reach for OpenSCAD.

• Like 1

FreeCAD can be handy. I use occasionally to simply open a drawing and save in another format. 

Fusion 360 is now charging to save as .DWG or . DXF. You end up using a program and thinking b'stards! 😠

A lot of people became reliant on Draftsight then they went to a paid for only platform. 

Expect anything popular & free to eventually go the same way.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

FreeCAD can be handy. I use occasionally to simply open a drawing and save in another format. 

Fusion 360 is now charging to save as .DWG or . DXF. You end up using a program and thinking b'stards! 😠

A lot of people became reliant on Draftsight then they went to a paid for only platform. 

Expect anything popular & free to eventually go the same way.

Ha, yes I was a Draftsight convert and believed all the hype about it being your product and free - then they went to paid platform only 🥵

Now moved to NanoCAD 5, it quite old but stable and free, can't tell much difference between this and my old Draftsight or 2D Autocad.