Looking at getting a van, what do you think?

Budget is tight so it's between this https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/vauxhall-vivaro-panel-van-2012-manual-1995-cc-/1448828593 and https://jftrucksandvans.com/stock/mar-2013-3488-no-vatnissan-nv200-1-5-dci-89-se-van/

I drove one years ago when my dad had a shop. Getting it to help get stuff from gumtree, builders merchants etc.

Really just need it to last a year...but stay legal

They both look a reasonable choice.  I bought a Transit Connect for £2K for the duration of the build.  Turned out to be more like 3 years than the one year I envisaged, but ideal (if you're hands-on) for stuff you can't or don't want to put in a car. If I was buying again, roof bars and a tow bar would be on the wish list.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LnP said:

You might be better off with a trailer. It would be cheaper and there's less risk of problems. I've been thinking about getting an 8ft twin axle one with a load capacity of about 2 t.

Thought about that, need a car with a tow hitch though. I drive an electric which is totally unsuitable.

I had a vivaro van for years but it is now being used as a shed, thanks to the head corrosion issue.

Also unless you get the long wheel base varient of the vivaro/traffic you cannot fit a whole 8x4 sheet in the back it is something annoying like 50mm too short.

I bought a trailer instead of a van. If I need a van I’ll hire one. Your budget plus tax, insurance, MOT etc will hire a lot of vans and that’s assuming it doesn’t need fixing while you have it. 

Edited by Kelvin

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

PSV is Irish equivalent of MOT

we're not in Ireland tho, and the Irish vehicle test is the NCT.

PSV /public service and (more likely) LGV/ light goods  are the applicable tests for that class of vehicle but the term is used a bit interchangeably, never mind that some vans can be taxed as cars too and then would be MoT'd...