Cavity trays and weep holes omitted

GreenGables

Hello. I'd appreciate any advice please.

Due to another issue we've just noticed that our builder has not included cavity trays throughout our build as per the plans. The trays should have been placed where external walls become internal (join to flat roofs), over door and window openings and steel, but they have not been done and there are no weep holes either. How much of a problem is this? I understand from reading online that the cavity trays can be retrofitted but is this necessary? This has somehow not been spotted by either the architect or building control. 

Probably not the answer you are hoping for 

Yes they are necessary and will have to be retro fitted Certainly over all external opening 

If your builder isn’t prepared to do this  You will have to bring a contractor in and take your builder to court 

Trays normally take 10 minutes per opening 

Retro May take most of a day per opening 

Is your architect supervising the job or just stage inspections etc? Either way, need them or an independent engineer/surveyor to do an inspection. If this was missed, what else was? I hope it was a one off and you get it sorted.

9 minutes ago, GreenGables said:

The architect is administering the contract and doing regular inspections for valuation. I’m shocked this was missed. It’s so clear in the plans. Wouldn’t building control have checked? 

I presumed from your original post this was a small self managed job 

Yes BC should have picked this up 

It’s now up to your Architect to sort this out

Poor management on his or her part 

16 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Look at the spec for the lintel that was installed. Catnic do lintels that have a DPC ‘built in’ which look much like the one in your picture. 

https://catnic.com/products/lintels/overview/steel-lintels-for-cavity-walls

Thanks Kelvin, I’ll check with the architect. Hopefully that’s what was used. 

44 minutes ago, HughF said:

If you were going render onto block then it’s questionable whether they’re required.

Yes a bit depends on the exposure.. normally they would always be included but if your back is against the wall then sometimes a case can be made for not having them if the outside leaf is rendered.

On 27/11/2022 at 09:01, GreenGables said:

The architect is administering the contract

There is a big difference between contract administration and site supervision / clerk of works function. Best to check what agreement you have with your Architect.

Stepped DPC and weep vents should really be installed. Some steel lintel manufacturer’s will have the requirement for a stepped DPC in their small print and on any relevant (installation) BBA Certificate.

Building Control should have picked this up. Have you asked them if they did pick it up and have they informed the builder?

Normal practice to inform the builder of issues at the end of an inspection. BC may also have issued a letter to you (the applicant?) in relation to the missing DPC.

I had the same issue on site a couple of months ago. Builder had to retro fit them.

Thanks ETC,

We are now working to establish where cavity trays are missing. It looks like there are some thankfully, but large areas have been missed especially over lintels and around parapet roofs. We will then speak to Building Control to find out if they noticed and make a plan for retrofit as necessary.

On parapet roofs for example are they essential, or could we seal the tops over the cavities (under copings) and then waterproof the facing brickwork with permagard cream or similar? We are checking with the lintel manufacturer if the lintels need protection.

Thanks for all the advice.

If you completely seal the inside skin and the top of the parapet wall a cavity tray may not be required. I’d always  specify one anyway if the height of the parapet is high. Belt and braces. Look at the Sarnafil/Trocal details for inspiration.

35 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

if they missing elecmentary items like trays check they have put in any DPC at all.

Thankfully I’ve got photos which show the dpc is in place. What else is worth checking at this stage?. I am shocked building control didn’t pick this up. 

23 hours ago, ETC said:

If you completely seal the inside skin and the top of the parapet wall a cavity tray may not be required. I’d always  specify one anyway if the height of the parapet is high. Belt and braces. Look at the Sarnafil/Trocal details for inspiration.

The parapet isn’t high inside so we may be able to do without. Everything is being checked.