Kick-starting the week

8 hours ago, CC45 said:

[...]

I hate going back to a job I hate.  [...]

Its a lonely job self building on your own.

This phenomenon is exactly why I started this thread.

How do we all motivate ourselves to '...just do it...' despite how you feel?

I find losing weight, eating healthily and laying off the drink gives me more energy and impetus for "everything". :) Sleeping really badly at the mo and generally just can't be ar$ed. Fits and starts on multiple projects as some may be aware! It's like I need a regular, new fix.

Trouble on the health thing is I'm always going to start "tomorrow". Some calamity happens and it's retox not detox!

16st 11lbs on Sunday. The quacks wanted me down to 15st when I had my blood pressure issues a while back but I was knocking on 20st at the time! (Weird reasons for that to do with my Mum's dementia).

How about a Fat Fighters thread for the mutual support and general derision of the unhealthy here? :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

[...]

Fits and starts on multiple projects as some may be aware! It's like I need a regular, new fix.

[...]

Nail on the head. You are not alone thats for sure.

Novelty attracts. But sticking-to-the-knitting is what self-building needs. I think that your  thread on the bathroom is a good way of drawing everyone's attention to progress, and an excellent (if virtual) way of not doing it on your own.

You see your project anew in the light of all the comments.

I used to worry about site visitors. But I have had a lot. Every other day two or three. Even if it just a quick reach through the gaps in the HERAS to poke an ICF block.

And I realise (in hindsight) that even negative comment about the build or a detail or an error is in fact a useful motivator.

Networking does it best for me.

How about you?

I need to get a roof on....

...and it's all the crap jobs getting in the way - taken the guys nearly a day to get the old one off as it's got to come down in bits. 

I stand and look at the jobs that need doing and contemplate what to do first - usually it's read the forum ..!!

• Like 1

Rain always puts me off work, I hate being wet all day. Time to find some indoor jobs, I've just got my first foundations quote, maybe I'll analyse that and try and see why it's a lot more than expected!

Started the task of treating the cedar cladding today, found the fact that the scaffolding is being taken off hire on Thursday a good motivator! 

Having spent end most of the day doing the top half of one gable and the facias and soffits on the sides, I'm not looking forward to doing the second coat on a ladder!

IMG_0598.PNG

I'm sitting in the carvery...stuffed! Amstel was flat so Heineken instead.

Maybe I'll kick start the morning with a sliced apple, some walnuts and hot water with lemon juice for breakfast! :)

AND 25 years wedded bliss today! 

• Like 1

Come on you pair of old farts; @Ferdinand, @Onoff, just do it! Extended pub lunches indeed.

@Onoff, your comment about diet is too close for comfort. Meat flavoured meals, rather than a main portion of meat, very small amounts of alcohol, half-size portions (think Kids meals) and the odd day of 600 calories only  clear my @MikeSharp01-esq spark plugs

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

@Onoff, your comment about diet is too close for comfort. Meat flavoured meals, rather than a main portion of meat, very small amounts of alcohol, half-size portions (think Kids meals) and the odd day of 600 calories only  clear my @MikeSharp01-esq spark plugs

My missus (a veggie) will often say after I've eaten a home cooked chilli con carne for instance, "That recipe was supposed to feed four!:ph34r:

I really don't have an on/off switch.

Good this morning though, cored and sliced Braeburn & a handful of walnuts at about 5am - they have a proven appetite suppresant in them and it works for me. As long as I drink (water) I won't feel hungry until about 3. 

And so it begins!

Might ditch the nightly ale for a small glass of red.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Onoff said:

My missus (a veggie) will often say after I've eaten a home cooked chilli con carne for instance, "That recipe was supposed to feed four!:ph34r:

Good this morning though, cored and sliced Braeburn & a handful of walnuts at about 5am - they have a proven appetite suppresant in them and it works for me. As long as I drink (water) I won't feel hungry until about 3. 

And so it begins!

I will not be backpedalling, Mr @recoveringacademic.

Me and my cocktails and my weekend BBQ will not, will not be moved.

And I just ordered one of these from the excellent Lancaster Smokehouse up your way as my meat treats for most of the rest of the year, together with a large box of kippers. While it looks expensive, for a dozen gourmet items I think that is OK. Fairly good value imo. I was invited to fill the hole in the freezer, and I have done so. 9_9

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I am also not afraid of failure, and starting again.

Classical thinking, yet to be overturned, is that we only progress through failure, be it of ideas - tossed aside along the path to the finished idea, or artifacts that are not as fit for purpose as they could be and sometimes not at all. Without failure we would be nowhere.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2017 at 22:51, CC45 said:

I set small targets then double the time allowance if I dont think I will meet them.  Sick of putting battens on uneven walls at the minute but won't take a break, I hate going back to a job I hate.  The next job involves machinery and mates so it will go a lot quicker and with a lot more fun and banter.  Its a lonely job self building on your own.

Are there any lessons to be learned here from the mutual support that seems to happen best via our 'Norn Iron' region?

(Depends on density of people, and also depends on translating anonymous internet identities to real life trusted relationships).

F

The weather continues to be carp here as it was most of June.  Wednesday the sun came out, so I sparked up the barbeque. Thursday was dry so I finally got back out on the boat, first time in over a month. Normal service resumed and it's drizzle today.

At the moment it's lack of funds once more slowing me down. I had hoped to be plasterboarding now but I blew that budget with my (hopefully) bargain ASHP so that will have to wait until next month, so now I'm grubbing around trying to find worthwhile things that need doing either with very cheap materials, or using up materials I already have.

Wish I was boarding. Planning to do some boundary fencing while the weather is good.  Contemplating getting some extra help in to speed things up a bit - time is more limiting than cash really.

Following what others are doing does cheer me up a lot. Miss @JSHarris blogs since he's now finished.

7 hours ago, CC45 said:

[...]

Following what others are doing does cheer me up a lot. Miss @JSHarris blogs since he's now finished.

Write one yourself ?

What have you learned? Mistakes. Successes. What worried you most? How did you work out your compromises? Was it worth it?

@JSHarris's effort and generosity cheers loads of folk up. Whenever I'm a bit down I remember his fight with the bore hole. And then I feel better.

Give it a go. Cheer us up.

On 5 July 2017 at 09:10, Onoff said:

And so it begins!

After realising I was heading for 14.5 stone, and not slowing down, I put my 35" snickers combats on and realised I had to struggle to get the button done up. Gadzooks!

Ive ditched gregs for breakfast and substituted the morning "got to eat something, I'm staving" crave with a single fresh banana and a large yogurt. That gets me through to lunch, roll, crisps, another yogurt, and I've cut my portion size down. Portion size is the one that was killing me slowly, as I would happily eat enough for two, ( roast dinner hanging off the sides of the plate swimming in gravy and reminiscent of that scene out of Close Encounters where the mash is 2' high......,...), but now I eat what I NEED to eat, and don't put any more on the plate. Looking at food means you'll eat it, it's a proven physiological issue. 

Stick to the squirrel breakfast and keep a banana close by for when the munchies set in. 

"May the force be with you". :)

Pretty sure this lack of "gumption" with me at the mo is weight / diet related.

First house, about 4 stone ago, I never stopped!

For the last 3 days just had a handful of walnuts and an apple for breakfast just before 5am then nothing until 3pm except copious quantities of water and a couple of teas.  Did x4 2L bottles of water up and down on the roof. The best bit of that in this heat because your so hydrated you can just enjoy the heat.

No word of a lie it's been fine though too busy to think about grub. Get home around half three 'ish and had a beetroot and more nuts. Normal dinner and half a glass of red, no ale.

I'd urge anyone to try the walnuts & apple thing.

16st 11lbs last Sunday 16st 7lbs yesterday. 15st is the goal!

Last night got an Indian takeaway but only had half of it and stuck the rest in the fridge. Half a Kingfisher in lieu of the red.

Managed one evening to make a tentative re-start on sorting the side of the house where I laid the new water main and soil pipes.

Feel pretty good this morning. Often used to get a g'teed Sat morning headache from junk food overload during the week.

Might go and figure some levels!

• Like 2

I'll try the walnuts. ;). Apples sound good, I'm right pissed off with bananas now. 

I just thought about how I used to run rings around people, now I'm worried about the coroner cutting my leg off to count the rings to work out how young I died :D

No more buying drinks, now its squash only. I'm saving a fortune too. 

With regards to this thread, being motivated is physical as well as mental do look after your body and your mind will free up too. :)