Kick-starting the week

I like bananas but they dont like me! Same with mature cheese.

Both have tyramine in that's a headache trigger if you're sensitive! :( Alcohol too which might explain why nowadays, the morning after even having one I might get a headache.

Bananas and ice cream! 5 minutes of pleasure to get brain freeze AND a headache!

EDIT: Walnuts from Lidls.

Edited by Onoff

Anybody got a nutra bullet? I work with a young lad all bloody muscle, when we sit down and have a big chunk of cake he's slurping on his smoothie. 

I seem to run run out of steam at three in the afternoon and reach for a bar of chocolate, I keep thinking if I had a cool box with a couple of shakes in it I could slurp on that instead. 

My my wife thinks I should just give £90 straight to the charity shop as that's where she thinks it will end up ??

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Anybody got a nutra bullet? I work with a young lad all bloody muscle, when we sit down and have a big chunk of cake he's slurping on his smoothie. 

My wife bought one of these about 18 months ago and I was convinced it would sit unused. To my surprise, she uses it every day for breakfast, and usually has a higher protein version when she comes back from the gym (she's a pretty serious gym-goer).

The trick is to buy frozen fruit somewhere like Costco.  They sell big bags that last a long time.  She also buys bananas in bulk, waits for them to get very ripe, then cuts them up and throws them in the freezer (it's my job to break them apart once they've frozen into a solid ball O.o).

I don't know how good they'd be after a few hours sitting around though.

Give a kid pure fruit juice and you might as well give them sweets for the sugar rush they'll get and damage to their teeth it'll do.

Smoothies are better for you but still not as good as eating the fruit. Your body's the machine that's supposed to break it down...slowly.

A lot of tiredness is down to dehydration. Drink more water. If nothing else it'll keep you moving as you'll need to keep going to the loo.

OD on the dairy? No thanks. Think what "milk" is for. It's to make baby animals grow. There's a school of thought that the "growth" compounds might lead to those runaway growth diseases like the big C. 

A young lad at work in his early 20's, skinny little streak of nothing started body building taking creatine. You get in meat. You eat meat to build muscle etc. There's suggestions it can increase the risk of testicular cancer. To my knowledge he didn't get that. He did however develop a Stage 3 solid mass cancer in his arm!

Makes you wonder.

Edited by Onoff

Constant struggle to get our kids to drink enough. One played a 7's rugby tournament in 28C heat last Thursday, next day he did a 21km sponsored walk. Saturday he wakes up complaining of a headache. No surprise.

I'm falling apart. Another root filling begun today!

I've discovered though that 2x200 Ibuprofen taken with a Co-codamol 500 makes the pain go away! 

Can't keep up with the dental bills tbh.

Considering the sugar content in beer & red wine and that I'm keen to preserve some teeth I'm seriously considering whether I'm at an age (50) that I should be considering spirits as a tipple of choice?

Any suggestions for a beginner? Nowt fancy or sweet mind!

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm falling apart. Another root filling begun today!

I've discovered though that 2x200 Ibuprofen taken with a Co-codamol 500 makes the pain go away! 

Can't keep up with the dental bills tbh.

Considering the sugar content in beer & red wine and that I'm keen to preserve some teeth I'm seriously considering whether I'm at an age (50) that I should be considering spirits as a tipple of choice?

Any suggestions for a beginner? Nowt fancy or sweet mind!

Hendricks Gin

Feavertree Mediterranean Tonic

Cucumber (Peelings/slithers only, no sllices or wedges!)

Ice

Utter heaven!

4 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Hendricks Gin

Feavertree Mediterranean Tonic

Cucumber (Peelings/slithers only, no sllices or wedges!)

Ice

Utter heaven!

You're going all @Ferdinand on me with the complication! :)

I've honestly never, ever drunk gin in my life though oddly enough have worked in a couple of factories, Beefeater and Gordons.

EDIT: 

• Do not drink alcohol while taking co-codamol, as this will make you more likely to experience side effects like drowsiness, dizziness, confusion and blurred vision, especially if you are taking a higher prescription-only strength of the medicine.

FFS! :(

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

Jack Daniels honey. Lots of crushed ice. 

Trying to avoid "sweet". Maybe JD on it's own?

Must be 30 years since I've drunk spirits. Vodka and grapefruit juice was my thing. I went off spirits after the Isle of Sheppey incident of 87 involving Vodka, Bacardi and lager in the same glass. I remember Star Trekkin' was playing on the telly!

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:
  • Do not drink alcohol while taking co-codamol, as this will make you more likely to experience side effects like drowsiness, dizziness, confusion and blurred vision, especially if you are taking a higher prescription-only strength of the medicine.

FFS! :(

I can vouch for this.  When I did my back in again a couple of months ago, the doc prescribed the stronger version of Co-Codamol.  One glass of wine plus two of those and I was unconscious on the sofa in front of the TV.  It got SWMBO a bit worried, as she had apparently been trying to wake me up for about five minutes before I came to enough to crawl into bed.  Another side effect was some really weird dreams, like nothing I've experienced since being a student and partaking of some rather well-known hallucinogens.............

Just now, JSHarris said:

I can vouch for this.  When I did my back in again a couple of months ago, the doc prescribed the stronger version of Co-Codamol.  One glass of wine plus two of those and I was unconscious on the sofa in front of the TV.  It got SWMBO a bit worried, as she had apparently been trying to wake me up for about five minutes before I came to enough to crawl into bed.  Another side effect was some really weird dreams, like nothing I've experienced since being a student and partaking of some rather well-known hallucinogens.............

Gin it is then! :)

I had a check up and was prescribed pain relief last night then started treatment today. I'd planned last night to space them out 20.00 / 00.00 / 04.00hrs to keep the maths simple but was crawling up the walls. At 19.30hrs I had a cream cracker then x2 200 liquid Ibuprofen and one Co-codamol 500. I''m a big lad but within 10 minutes the pain had gone and I was talking to the wife laughing at Two And A Half Men!

Seemingly the Co-codamol / Ibuprofen combo is well known for dental pain. 

It goes:

- 2x200 Ibuprofen + 1 or 2 co-codamol

- then 4 hours later 1 or 2 co-codamol

- then 4 hours later 2x200 Ibuprofen + 1 or 2 co-codamol

- then 4 hours later 1 or 2 co-codamol

- then 4 hours later 2x200 Ibuprofen + 1 or 2 co-codamol

and so on

No more than 8 co-codamol in 24 hrs and don't take any other meds containing paracetamol

I did feel funny all over. In bed I asked the wife if she'd put fresh sheets on as everything felt soft and silky. She hadn't! Very odd!

Taking paracetamol and ibuprofen together is both safe and effective, and as the main constituent of Co-Codamol is paracetamol then there's no reason not to take ibuprofen as well.  The only caution my GP gave me a while ago was that he would rather that I take Co-Codamol than ibuprofen, as there is some evidence that ibuprofen poses a greater risk to those over 60.

Edited by JSHarris

13 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Taking paracetamol and ibuprofen together is both safe and effective, and as the main constituent of Co-Codamol is paracetamol then there's no reason not to take ibuprofen as well.  The only caution my GP gave me a while ago was that he would rather that I take Co-Codamol than ibuprofen, as there is some evidence that ibuprofen poses a greater risk to those over 60.

I was yesterday, taking 2 x 200 (white tablet form) ibuprofen then 4 hours later 2 x paracetamol. Didn't touch the pain. Maybe I should have tried them together. The only ibuprofen that work quickly for me are the little red see thu gel ones.

4 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Take the above as advised with a cup of coffee. It accelerates the analgesic effect. 

I take them with tea. I don't drink coffee, the wife says it makes me aggressive! 

Politely declined my brother's offer of Tramadol! Been there with the slipped disc.

Edited by Onoff

For dental pain, I have a supply of a NSAID called mesulid which I don't think is available in the UK but (was) widely available over the counter in Greece.

I think we might have a stash of Tramadol too from when the missus had carpal tunnel. Although she said it didn't work.

5 minutes ago, daiking said:

For dental pain, I have a supply of a NSAID called mesulid which I don't think is available in the UK but (was) widely available over the counter in Greece.

I think we might have a stash of Tramadol too from when the missus had carpal tunnel. Although she said it didn't work.

I wouldn't if you want to see that garden finished! :(

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/newly-banned-drug-has-now-killed-seven-inquest-hears-26513562.html

Buying Gin is like buying kitchen sinks or power tools. (imnsho)

Cheap ones give a quick thrill but annoy rather than satisfy over the medium term.

Look for Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire (or something posher if you feel flush) reduced to the price of a "recognised" brand. And watch out for gimmicks (eg "with macadamia nuts rolled on the thighs of a threatened subspecies of koala bear") - the hipsters have been getting into gin making. I think I tried Hendricks off the gin menu of my current favourite restaurant - working through it one variety per visit - requires regular :P lunches out. 

Then enjoy.

Gin and tonic is fantastic with a few blackberries or blackcurrants or blueberries dropped in.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

3 minutes ago, daiking said:

I can see the acidity of the lemon juice coupled with the sweetness of the ginger honey syrup doing my tooth enamel the world of good. But what a way to go, sounds scrummy!

1 minute ago, daiking said:

I already know is why it's not available in the UK :D

With dental pain, I'll take my chances

Yep. If they hadn't seen me yesterday I'd have ripped it out with the Leatherman and thrown it at them! :)

Edited by Onoff