Reducing heat loss through the keyhole of an exterior door

november romeo

Apologies if this is a really basic question, but I'd really appreciate any advice.  We have a door with an old-fashioned keyhole, which is not covered, and so when it's windy outside we can feel a cold draft coming in through the keyhole.

Here is a photo of the door handle so you can see the keyhole:

IMG_3040.jpg.dc790dd49a9fed1219214bd808c1c257.jpg

I'd like to try and eliminate the draft to reduce heat loss from the room.  I've tried googling for solutions and found this keyhole escutcheon cover:

https://loopsdirect.com/collections/keyhole-covers/products/40mm-traditional-round-covered-escutcheon-lock-profile-black-antique

..but I don't think I can use that because it requires holes either side of the keyhole, which as you can see, I do not have. 

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Failing which... velcro

I'm going to pinch that idea!

For doors that aren't used much in the winter, an easy to remove cover sounds ideal. Cut an nice shape out of some black double-sided velcro with some black fabric on top. That's my plan now anyway.

But there is a 21st century solution - replace with a digital door lock. Holes through our houses to the outside world are so primitive. We've had central locking routinely fitted on cars for over 30 years now yet houses, worth an order of magnitude more, still have locks with keys.

Filled our key hole with wool and stuck thick tape across the hole on the outside. Presumably there is thermal bridging via the spindle, so you could take that out for the winter. And/or put a blank handle plate on the outside, so there is no hole at all. 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

The only traditional "keyhole" lock we have is in the fire door between the house and the garage.  We rarely lock it.  Duct tape covers the keyhole on the garage side to stop the draught.

Seems a bit contradictory having a keyhole in a fire door.

Just now, ETC said:

contradictory having a keyhole in a fire door.

A fire resisting door does not necessarily have to be part of a  fire escspe route. This will be to keep the burning car from spreading to the house.

Or do you mean that the fire will pass through the keyhole? Not much chance of that going far....in fact it would be a good warning to ...RUNNN.

Just now, saveasteading said:

A fire resisting door does not necessarily have to be part of a  fire escspe route. This will be to keep the burning car from spreading to the house.

Or do you mean that the fire will pass through the keyhole? Not much chance of that going far....in fact it would be a good warning to ...RUNNN.

Lol……

On 31/10/2022 at 17:14, Radian said:

I'm going to pinch that idea!

For doors that aren't used much in the winter, an easy to remove cover sounds ideal. Cut an nice shape out of some black double-sided velcro with some black fabric on top. That's my plan now anyway.

But there is a 21st century solution - replace with a digital door lock. Holes through our houses to the outside world are so primitive. We've had central locking routinely fitted on cars for over 30 years now yet houses, worth an order of magnitude more, still have locks with keys.

Making it ever easier to steal cars. 

10 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Whilst shouting 'Fire in the hole!!!', presumably? :D