AnonymousBosch

Steel Fabrication and CE marking

Our Winter Garden - outside the heated envelope of the house - is a steel-framed construction. It will be open to the elements, and intended as a filter for the light from the south: all the rooms open into it or have a window onto it (except two). Debbie's keen on gardening. Me? Hmmm.

WinterGardenIllustrationAsJPG.jpg.910707143eb2582f68a836c33387e9b5.jpg

Lots of people have been round to poke and stare at the build, among them a couple of local builders.....

Talking about the Winter Garden, I mention we have been told that the steel frame for the garden needs to be built by a CE marked and Certified company. Cue snorts of derision, sucking of teeth and pithy Lancastrian.

Who's correct? The builders or the ones with PII (Professional Indemnity) cover?

WinterGardenIllustration.pdf

AFAIK, it just needs to comply with Part A, in terms of the structure, same as the house.  CE marking applies to materials and products, not companies, so as long as the steel is supplied to the spec the SE has provided any competent steel erector can put it up.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

AFAIK, it just needs to comply with Part A, in terms of the structure, same as the house.  CE marking applies to materials and products, not companies, so as long as the steel is supplied to the spec the SE has provided any competent steel erector can put it up.

Yep, +1 to that. You will be able to get the CE paperwork for all the bits, steel, bolts, welding rods etc but you won't need one for a one off winter garden, or at least I can see no reasonable path through the CE process that would be usable unless the whole winter garden was a product in its own right. If you think about it the CE process was designed to ensure that products arriving and circulating around the EU met the various standards. Your product is being built to a local standard (building standards) and is not destined for resale as a retail product so I cannot see how it might apply although the last time I had to take a product through CE marking was 2003 I think.

I put the steels in for my wrap around window. Only had to show the spec sheet for the L shape steel catnic to BC. He just looked at the support post and seen it was heavy wall box section and went on his way.

I got this from my fabricator if it helps:

"...Proudly announces its compliance with the new BS EN 1090 standard for structural steelwork to Execution Class level 2.
Communaute Europeenne ('CE' or 'European Community') was introduced in 1995 and CE Marking was created to stimulate the free circulation of goods within the European Community by removing barriers created by differing standards in member states.
When applied to any product or equipment indicates that the manufacturer or its authorised EU representative has declared that the product of equipment compiles with all applicable European Directives.
Certification will become mandatory in the UK in July 2014 from which time it will become illegal to sell structural steelwork in the UK or the Republic of Ireland that does not carry the CE Mark.
CE Marking is not allowed unless the Factory Production Control (FPC) system under which they are produced has been assessed by a suitable certification body that has been approved to the European Commission.
Steelwork has been divided into four categories for certification and a steelwork contractor may not produce steel in a higher category than it is certified. The categories are:
•    Execution Class 1 
•    Execution Class 2 
•    Execution Class 3 
•    Execution Class 4
Proudly announces its compliance with the new BS EN 1090 standard for structural steelwork to Execution Class level 2.
Communaute Europeenne ('CE' or 'European Community') was introduced in 1995 and CE Marking was created to stimulate the free circulation of goods within the European Community by removing barriers created by differing standards in member states.
When applied to any product or equipment indicates that the manufacturer or its authorised EU representative has declared that the product of equipment compiles with all applicable European Directives.
Certification will become mandatory in the UK in July 2014 from which time it will become illegal to sell structural steelwork in the UK or the Republic of Ireland that does not carry the CE Mark.
CE Marking is not allowed unless the Factory Production Control (FPC) system under which they are produced has been assessed by a suitable certification body that has been approved to the European Commission.
Steelwork has been divided into four categories for certification and a steelwork contractor may not produce steel in a higher category than it is certified. The categories are:
•    Execution Class 1 
•    Execution Class 2 
•    Execution Class 3 
•    Execution Class 4
"

Edited by Onoff

and FPC includes traceable calibration of welding equipment and suchlike things.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

In which case just about any fabricator of structural steel will be able to do it - or they won't be in business.

15 minutes ago, Temp said:

In which case just about any fabricator of structural steel will be able to do it - or they won't be in business.

Say a company's business is not, on the face it structural steel fabrication. Maybe they repair HGV trailers, agricultural equipment of even make long range fuel tanks to take advantage of Continental prices. Just examples of companies I've dealt with.

Nothing to stop them buying in I beams for you and "fabricating" whatever. They probably won't be compliant I'm guessing. Their core business is simply NOT structural steel.

Edited by Onoff

without belittling the project i am struggling to see the complication, you have 2 steels sitting on top of a column with another column sitting on top of that???

I can't see where any structural welds would be. only to hold the plates in the right place.

how well do you get on with your LBCO? 

I asked similar questions  (about certified welds, not so much being CE marked) when i was looking into my steelwork, turns out not many people cared, as long as the steels being used had been specced by a SE, the actual fabrication and purchasing of the steel never got questioned, 

as I'm sure you know in the end i welded and cut all my steel myself and i have still not been asked where i purchased it from, 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

without belittling the project i am struggling to see the complication, you have 2 steels sitting on top of a column with another column sitting on top of that???

I can't see where any structural welds would be. only to hold the plates in the right place.

how well do you get on with your LBCO? 

I asked similar questions  (about certified welds, not so much being CE marked) when i was looking into my steelwork, turns out not many people cared, as long as the steels being used had been specced by a SE, the actual fabrication and purchasing of the steel never got questioned, 

as I'm sure you know in the end i welded and cut all my steel myself and i have still not been asked where i purchased it from, 

Wot he says- don't create a rod for your own back! Unless you think Jean Claude Juncker is going to visit... 

yup. Get it fab'd on site by yourself or others and you're good.

8 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

Without belittling the project i am struggling to see the complication, you have 2 steels sitting on top of a column with another column sitting on top of that???

[...]

I was also struggling to see what was complicated about it. But then, I'm only a Domestic Client ....

I think a big part is to ensure that anything deemed structural is welded by a coded welder to try and ensure a quality and ultimately safe weld. The Excecution Class is I think related to risk. There's a very long thread on it on the mig welding forum