My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

14 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

It does make a difference, even for a short run. Up to you what you want to do, but I say things for good reasons ;)  

ok. will just do it. 🙂 

is that other lot of waste pipe good to weld in place? I'm happy with it but as it's my first I thought it'd be prudent to ask people who actually know what they're doing!

3 hours ago, Thorfun said:

is that other lot of waste pipe good to weld in place? I'm happy with it but as it's my first I thought it'd be prudent to ask people who actually know what they're doing!

Your plumbing has come along nicely, our young apprentice ;) 

Looks good to me, just hard to see the actual fall of the long run? Have you put a laser / level on it end-to-end?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Your plumbing has come along nicely, our young apprentice ;) 

Looks good to me, just hard to see the actual fall of the long run? Have you put a laser / level on it end-to-end?

Fall is approximately 20mm/m. Is that about right? Is there a perfect fall? And while I’m asking, what’s the maximum and minimum?

3 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Fall is approximately 20mm/m. Is that about right? Is there a perfect fall? And while I’m asking, what’s the maximum and minimum?

That's plenty. 1:40 - 1:60 is max / min, but as long as it's downhill the BCO won't care....plus the fact that a 50mm pipe creates its own air-break means the water can discharge down the pipe at its own pace without affecting the rate that soap suds etc disappear down the shower drain.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

If you need any additional noggins in place for the brackets get it in before the pipework is glued.

Sounds like great advice! I presume you speak from experience. 

12 minutes ago, pocster said:

When I’ve fecked this up and missed a noggin I just metal strap across it for support .

Yep, that works, my fingers though are testament to the metal strapping I've got's previous life as prison razor wire!

first bathroom shower and basin waste in and tested with no leaks. fall of 22mm/m in the end which is within the max/min @Nickfromwales mentioned above. very happy with it all. 

got some drop ceilings and plaster boarding to do this week then I'm back on the plumbing at the weekend.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

as I get ready for the plastering I have a question about how I leave the pipes in the bathrooms/toilets/utility room/kitchen etc. do I just stick a 90° bend on the end of the hep2o and stick some 15mm copper in to it and leave that sticking out of the wall? or is there some special way to leave the water pipes?

if the pipework is hidden within a cupboard/unit I wonder if it's worth just sticking with the simplicity of hep2o to the taps rather than covering to copper and having to faff about with solder/compression? 🤔

3 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I’m thinking the same, line the pipe work up where you need it, clip it neatly etc then isolators if needed and tap connectors.

I’ve got a manifold system so isolators not required. 

4 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Same but my thinking - is depending on if the pipe is coming downwards then an isolator means less water to drain if you ever need to break the pipe later on

interesting but, nah! seems a waste of time and money to me. 🤣

• Haha 1

afternoon. I'm after some assistance in problem solving a waste run and I'm hoping that @Nickfromwales is in a more helpful mood than he was last night on my plastering question! 😉 

we have a soil pipe coming out of our slab in the utility room but it's too far from the wall to be able to run the pipes in the service cavity and not far enough away to allow a 45° bend from a boss. as the below photo shows:

IMG_5207.jpeg.35829222e36a83fd73c6fc2ed81d6964.jpeg

I need 2 pipes to attach to this soil pipe. one going left to the dog shower and one going right to the sink/washing machine.

IMG_5208.jpeg.95c21269059f44fcd28f5b3924178b64.jpeg

I can't find anything less than a 45° bend in this Osma Wavin waste pipe! why is that? 

how can I make what I need happen?

30 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

afternoon. I'm after some assistance in problem solving a waste run and I'm hoping that @Nickfromwales is in a more helpful mood than he was last night on my plastering question! 😉 

we have a soil pipe coming out of our slab in the utility room but it's too far from the wall to be able to run the pipes in the service cavity and not far enough away to allow a 45° bend from a boss. as the below photo shows:

IMG_5207.jpeg.35829222e36a83fd73c6fc2ed81d6964.jpeg

I need 2 pipes to attach to this soil pipe. one going left to the dog shower and one going right to the sink/washing machine.

IMG_5208.jpeg.95c21269059f44fcd28f5b3924178b64.jpeg

I can't find anything less than a 45° bend in this Osma Wavin waste pipe! why is that? 

how can I make what I need happen?

Often frowned upon by the old school boys, but mightily handy when you're in a tight spot is the good old friend, Macalpine and his flexible waste connectors. Maybe can help in this instance:

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/plastic-chrome-fittings/flexible-fittings-non-return-valves/flexcon5c-flexible-fitting-universal-x-plain-spigot

Edited by SimonD

23 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I could be way off kilter here, but would something like below be of any use

image.png.2a0205f6a5ca53586a070304f99ca8be.png

hmmm...maybe the middle one might work. depends on the distance behind the main 110mm hole i guess. do you have a link to that?

2 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Often frowned upon by the old school boys, but mightily handy when you're in a tight spot is the good old friend, Macalpine and his flexible waste connectors. Maybe can help in this instance:

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/plastic-chrome-fittings/flexible-fittings-non-return-valves/flexcon5c-flexible-fitting-universal-x-plain-spigot

that's an interesting potential solution but i recall @Nickfromwales saying once that flexible waste is bad idea! and he used it once when the customer insisted on it (or something along those lines, although it could've been a 110mm soil pipe from the toilet he was talking about. my mind is a bit fuzzy on those details!)