My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

• 2 weeks later...

afternoon. the wife is shopping for shower heads and found a drenching head that says it offers two flow rates with 17l/m standard and a 9l/m eco mode. what's the thinking behind this? is it to satisfy building regulations?

https://www.ukbathrooms.com/products/hansgrohe-raindance-select-s-240-2jet-overhead-shower-with-ceiling-connector.html

from the looks of it it's also a permanent solution rather than a switch between the 2 modes!

29 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

afternoon. the wife is shopping for shower heads and found a drenching head that says it offers two flow rates with 17l/m standard and a 9l/m eco mode. what's the thinking behind this? is it to satisfy building regulations?

https://www.ukbathrooms.com/products/hansgrohe-raindance-select-s-240-2jet-overhead-shower-with-ceiling-connector.html

from the looks of it it's also a permanent solution rather than a switch between the 2 modes!

Building reg G2 stipulates a reasonable provision to limit wholesome water use to 125l pp/day. But there's also the argument that flow regulation saves water so good for the wallet and good for the environment.

38 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Building reg G2 stipulates a reasonable provision to limit wholesome water use to 125l pp/day. But there's also the argument that flow regulation saves water so good for the wallet and good for the environment.

Ok so with our toilets and washing machine using harvested water I can easily argue that even with the higher flow rate head we’ll be below that threshold. 

So 2 minutes at 17 litres is 34 litres or 1/3  of a day's recommended amount.

A good shower head should use far less water to good effect.

Therefore I would say to try the lower setting first.

Water costs about 3p / litre I think, allowing for supply and disposal. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

Ok so with our toilets and washing machine using harvested water I can easily argue that even with the higher flow rate head we’ll be below that threshold. 

Get kids and misses to piss in bucket and empty once a day - super water efficient. You still trying to save 25 quid ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Therefore I would say to try the lower setting first.

But it doesn’t look like it’s changeable so once bought it is what it is, and at £350 that’s an expensive mistake!

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Water costs about 3p / litre I think, allowing for supply and disposal. 

The cost of water is a good point and I’ll need to calculate our water costs per litre. 

14 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I’ll need to calculate our water costs per litre. 

It isn't generally realised that the sewage charge is usually based on mains water used,  and about doubles the cost.

Harvested water goes free!

If you can send your rainwater to soakaway then you should be able to get a discount .

7 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

It isn't generally realised that the sewage charge is usually based on mains water used,  and about doubles the cost.

Harvested water goes free!

If you can send your rainwater to soakaway then you should be able to get a discount .

Yeah, no sewage here. STP all the way. I’ll just check the water bill for the existing property 

15 hours ago, Thorfun said:

But it doesn’t look like it’s changeable so once bought it is what it is, and at £350 that’s an expensive mistake!

Look elsewhere? Plenty of options on the market. We have one where there is a pack of regulators from 16l/min down to 6l so you can test and select the best option. Mine runs absolutely fine on 6l/min and it's a drench head, but only about 200mm diameter head.

6 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Look elsewhere? Plenty of options on the market. We have one where there is a pack of regulators from 16l/min down to 6l so you can test and select the best option. Mine runs absolutely fine on 6l/min and it's a drench head, but only about 200mm diameter head.

thanks. it's hard to know what a 9l/min shower head is like as i've not had one before! the wife is doing the research on the bathrooms as i've got my hands full researching a load of other subjects.

On 18/05/2023 at 17:58, saveasteading said:

Water costs about 3p / litre I think, allowing for supply and disposal

I think you are out, should be 0.3p 

Mine is the most expensive in the land and was 0.53p/litre last year I think.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I think you are out, should be 0.3p 

Mine is the most expensive in the land and was 0.53p/litre last year I think.

We checked our water bill and we pay 0.17p/l, so approximately 29p for a 10 minute shower at 17l/min or 15p at 9l/min. 

21 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

We checked our water bill

Just checked mine.

Water was £1.9219

Waste was £3.1317 X 0.95 so £2.9751

So £4.9m³

Then add the daily charge of £0.1497.

I used 12 m³ over 93 days.

So 129lt/day.

With my government rebate of £50 a year, and the Water Share credit  of £13.

Plus the £30 Stop the Drop of £30, my last bill was £33.63.

So £0.0028/litre.

Really not that bad when I look at it.

Does seem perverse that to save water, SW Water makes it cheaper. But at least central government are coughing up a bit to help.

Off to have a deep soak in the bath now.

IMG_20230520_083745289_HDR.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea

30 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

We checked our water bill and we pay 0.17p/l, so approximately 29p for a 10 minute shower at 17l/min or 15p at 9l/min. 

You better put a timer on that shower - you know ; to save money 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, pocster said:

I do my best thinking in the shower so I'll probably end up saving money by solving problems whilst showering.

it's man maths, init.

On 18/05/2023 at 19:22, Thorfun said:

• Select button for spray options

Prob best to ask them by email, if this is pattern & flow rate, or just pattern at a set flow rate.

You can make a fast shower go slow, it's called "not turning the knob all of the way to max" ;).

Pretty simple stuff, eh :) 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yup. Those electrical items won't just pay for themselves!!

Just pull the trigger and have a nice shower, you tight arse, as you can't take it with you.

• Haha 2

On 19/05/2023 at 11:15, Thorfun said:

thanks. it's hard to know what a 9l/min shower head is like as i've not had one before! the wife is doing the research on the bathrooms as i've got my hands full researching a load of other subjects.

It's good. My Mrs doesn't normally have it turned all the way up .

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

You can make a fast shower go slow, it's called "not turning the knob all of the way to max" ;).

Pretty simple stuff, eh :) 

Try telling teenage boys that. They only know how to turn it all the way and don't realise you can actually have it at another setting 🙄

• Like 1