Another From The North Of Ireland (and a hell of a lot more information and self-build chat.)

Guest Alphonsox

There are indeed some "strange" things in the way the RHI scheme works.  It is supposed the be based on how much heat you need. For instance, Jeremy's house is so well insulated I think he worked out it would be due for an RHI payment of less than £100 per year.  But I did some work  for a house that had just had a biomass boiler installed. The owner made two statements that just did not seem to fit with each other. The first was "the surveyor said this is the best insulated house he has ever surveyed" and the second was "the RHI payments will be about £200 per month"

For homes your payments are based on what your as built sap says your heat demand will be. Think it is something like 4.6p per kW of heat up to a maximum of £2500. 

For business is based on how much you burn. Doesn't matter how much heat you  actually need so we now have some of the warmest chicken houses in the world. So you can see how some people took advantage of this loop hole leaving all the homeowners who wanted to avail of the scheme who had already chosen to go down the rhi route up the creek minus the paddle. 

Don't forget the rhi scheme here covered all Renewables so heat pumps where included although the vast majority of the fraud was from business who went down the biomass route.

@ProDave

Do you remember the ASHP from across the interweb that I installed in the lake district,?

Dual pumps, HW tank and buffer, 

Proper British designed and built pumps in Lytham, 

Installed price was circa £8.5K iirc

Complemented a PV system, that was installed and costed separately.

Stephen Nolan's show this morning was all about how much of a cock up this has been. Biggest mess in the history of NI and each of them civil servants will get a new job and their platinum plated pension pot will still be waiting on them.

And the chickens well be very warm for the next twenty years and each chicken farmer a millionaire.

Guest Alphonsox

Just watched the spotlight show on Iplayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08402bs/spotlight-06122016).

What an unbelievable mess - "the more you burn, the more you earn" - paying people to heat empty sheds 24/7 year round, civil servants who didn't understand the system they had created and didn't care how much it all cost leading to CO2 emissions going up as a result as a result of a supposedly green scheme.

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all,

We are nearing the external rendering of our new build and our builder has shown us some homes they have competed using K-rend.

We feel the k-rend white is more of a cream colour, which is not what we want.

We want smooth render but crisp white, has anyone any suggestions?

Guest Alphonsox

Both Sliders and ourselves used Kilsaran 1 coat in white with a sponged finish. It looks good but it's not been entirely successful with some loose patches after 1 year. 

If it's any help, I used the Baumit.com thin render system. Their website id not very helpful, but the base coat render was MC55W mixed from powder, with their Silokon Top top coat ready miced in a tub. That comes in a range of colours and textures.

20 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

Both Sliders and ourselves used Kilsaran 1 coat in white with a sponged finish. It looks good but it's not been entirely successful with some loose patches after 1 year. 

Was this an application issue? I have considered this as an option for myself, though I have some time yet before choosing.

Guest Alphonsox

Just a quick heads up.....

The  SelfBuild & Improve Your Home Show is taking place in the Titanic on the 17th-19th February 2017.

Free tickets are currently available from the website.

http://selfbuild.ie/belfast-selfbuild-show/

If you haven't been before it could be worth a trip. IMHO this is probably the best show I've been to in the UK - a lot better than the NEC events if you are actualy building as opposed to buying rugs or lamp shades.

On 12/29/2016 at 21:06, Alphonsox said:

@Alphonsox @slidersx200

Hey, can you give me any details about your application?  Did you use only the 1 coat, or did you scud and scratch first?

Did Michael have the same issues?

Cheers

Damian

Edited by DeeJunFan
tag

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone every had to get an extension to their mortgage offer.  We have been held back with the consent to discharge which has left us short on time to get the first mortgage draw.

We have put every penny of savings and loaned from family to get the house 50% completed and my worry is that once the offer period is up we might have to re-apply.

I see some mortgage companies across the water have a 15nr working day policy once the offer is up and will give this allowance if the draw down can be completed within this period.

WeeGaz, I was in the exact same boat. We had three months to take the first draw down but Ulster bank allowed me some grace as I was just over the three month deadline. I do think they will give you a small bit of grace. I had huge problems with my solicitor and he near screwed us over. Horrid people