Another From The North Of Ireland (and a hell of a lot more information and self-build chat.)

Guest Alphonsox

A further question - any recommendations on whether to buy scaffolding or rent it out?

I was just thinking of renting it out (a joiner we were getting a quote off told us he would charge around £25-30 a week plus a charge to erect it)

It's for a 2 storey house (2500sqft)

I’d just be a bit nervous about buying my own in case there ever was an accident and my insurance wouldn’t cover it.

Just checking to see if that is around the normal price? I will have to get other quotes.

Depends on the timescale of your build. I was in no rush so I bought enough for 6 bays. This was enough to scaffold a peak at a time but mine was a bungalow. 

If you intend to take a real go at it and build it, roof it, tile it and plaster it all quickly then hire at them rates would be fine. Realistically you would be looking at 2 months work from first floor height to finish all the above jobs. Could be done quicker if you are very organised and have all the trades lined up.

Depends on the charge to erect it as well.

9 hours ago, JamieM said:

Alright, would anyone have any suggestions/experience with flat roof installers/suppliers in NI.  Thinking of Fibreglass GRP but happy to take on any recommendations.

It’s for a ground floor sun room.

I know some people aren’t too keen of flat roofs due to the fact they can leak, but there is a window on the 1st floor behind it that we couldn’t have the window if it were a pitched roof.

thanks

These are the guys I used. M Henry & Son's 07962309667. Should be a fella Joe you'll be talking to. They done a small flat roof over my bay window.

Cheers Declan, 2 -3 months was the sort of timescales I was thinking. Will need to enquire how much it costs to erect. 

Cheers for the number Kev. I'll give them a shout early next week. 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2016 at 11:19, JamieM said:

Cheers Declan, 2 -3 months was the sort of timescales I was thinking. Will need to enquire how much it costs to erect. 

Cheers for the number Kev. I'll give them a shout early next week. 

the quotes i got for scaffolding ranged from 2K plus 100 per week to 3600 plus 160 per week.

I ended up scrounging enough of it to get it put up by a plasterer guy my father knows, he charged £70 per day and it took him 5 days in all (that included help transporting to site)  about 3 days to erect.

• Like 1

seems though now Murdocks want me to get the place re-measured and confirm that their measurements are correct!  I'm wondering is this some sort of way to avoid responsibility if they have made another mistake.

Surely it shouldn't be up to me to get the measurements right?

Nope you are asking them to measure up. If you do it wrong and it's a mistake it's on your head. 

Ats came out with the laser tape he had. Stood on a trestle at each corner and used the laser. 2 secs it took at each corner to get the width and length. Asked about the pitch and head heights up stairs and was gone in 10mins. 

How many times have they measured it up. Think they are taking the piss. Tell them to meet you on-site and measure it up or you will go elsewhere with your money.

NIE Connection Question

Does anyone have any idea how they measure distance from nearest point of connection?  If it's over 200 meters they require a full survey and that can take up to 3 months.

Is it nearest pole to my meter box?  Or site boundary?  Or could there be some point at a junction box along the road where I could get a connection?

I have attached a measurement from the NIE site and it looks like on a straight line from pole to meter box is 203 m.  Are they super strict?

NIEConnection.PNG

Any reason in particular you need as big a digger???

What's access like round the plot???

Hitachi make good diggers but that one is a fair age so would need looked over by a mechanic before I would part with any cash.

12 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

Anyone looked at or used the Lagan building solutions snowdon tile? A different company from lagan tile but on the same road!

I had a sample dropped out.

I know the Local Rep so he sent me a few photos etc of installations he did.

If you want to send me your email address i'll forward them on to you.

I didn't end up going with it as i got a great deal on natural slate which actually worked out slightly cheaper than the snowdons.  Although the fitting will be more expensive it think.

The rep (Chris) has sent me photos of installations and I also looked at a local development in hillsborough that has them installed in a variety of roof designs.  I havent explored the price as yet but like the look of them.  I do keep reminding myself that I will probably only ever look at my roof a handful of times when it is first installed.

Curious as to what others thoughts and experience of them are and how they might wear/weather.

Think they are all one and the same just a different branch to the lagan group. I had samples of nearly every tile lagan had a set them on the roof and me and the wife stood back and ruled them out one by one. 

Being concrete I didn't think the rough leading edge would weather well and end up with grey stripes over the roof. A roof I looked at only had them installed a few months so was no help to me. My own plain concrete tiles have faded a bit but as long as they keep the rain out I will be happy enough.

What did they look like at the Hillsborough site. 

I think that they are a clay tile if that makes any difference and full through coloured but thats probably a sales pitch.

The development in hillsborough looked very well I have to admit and the tiles on approx 12 houses all looked the same having been installed at variant times.  I am trying to establish how long the first house has been built.

1 minute ago, vfrdave said:

I think that they are a clay tile if that makes any difference and full through coloured but thats probably a sales pitch.

The development in hillsborough looked very well I have to admit and the tiles on approx 12 houses all looked the same having been installed at variant times.  I am trying to establish how long the first house has been built.

They are not full colour to the back.  I have a sample at the site.