Another From The North Of Ireland (and a hell of a lot more information and self-build chat.)

Guest Alphonsox

Let it dry out fully as it's just usually the mortar getting wet that shows through. Not much drying this time of the year as well so the actual blockwork will still have a lot of water still in it before you started to plaster it.

An old wives tale was that the mortar had too much cement mixed through it.

Just seen this on cemfloor facebook page. 

Begin

Great days work for Cemfloor. Installations in Newry and Saintfield. One was with out under floor heating in which the client can tile as early as 5 days using the right adhesive. The good news is that we have an 25 year guarantee with a tile adhesive company for Cemfloor! ?

End

• 2 weeks later...

For information to NI folks I am told that Ulster Bank are due to withdraw from the NI selfbuild market with pending applications to be with them in the next 3 weeks.

This is apparently down to them aligning closer to Natwest

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Everyone must have been out enjoying the good weather over the past few weeks.

Has anyone used or have any info on Satellite broadband?

We have less than 1mb speed and looking at alternatives.

Guest Alphonsox

I looked at it - It really depends what you are using it for, latency is a problem for gaming for instance.

We ended up using 4G for internet as we can get a reasonably good mobile signal. It's cheaper too.

24 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

I looked at it - It really depends what you are using it for, latency is a problem for gaming for instance.

We ended up using 4G for internet as we can get a reasonably good mobile signal. It's cheaper too.

Never thought of 4G, will look it up.

Do you have a dongle connected to router for home use?

Guest Alphonsox

I bought one of these :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Unlocked-Mobile-Router-Genuine/dp/B013P15G4K/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1494928394&sr=1-1&keywords=Huawei+B315

Broadband router, WIFI, 4 port switch, VOIP phone interface etc in a single box.

I got a 50GB data only sim from Vodaphone for £25/month (seems to have gone up to £30)

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

28 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Never thought of 4G, will look it up.

Do you have a dongle connected to router for home use?

Probably better with a router that will accept an onboard 4G sim.

Other options maybe worth looking at http://bluebox.network/ depends on availability by line of sight from their broadcast locations. Their customer service may not be the best you will ever experience, they dont like declaring their broadcast site locations.

The other option is http://airfibrenet.com/ similar to the above with different coverage and much better to engage with.

Both options above are not satellite but WiMax options.

• 1 month later...

Haven't been on in a while... Just seen the above two posts from VFR Dave and Alphonsox regarding broadband. I have sky broadband as I got it throught the sky package. the download speed is absolutely terrible and we actually don't need it. If I have emails or browsing to do at home I turn on hotspot on my phone (Vodafone). What have you ended up doing Wee Gaz as I am going to cancel the sky broadband.

On 16/05/2017 at 09:54, Weegaz said:

Everyone must have been out enjoying the good weather over the past few weeks.

Has anyone used or have any info on Satellite broadband?

We have less than 1mb speed and looking at alternatives.

We use satellite internet, Tooway from NotSpot (notspotbroadband.com)

Just moved up to 25 Gigs a month, "free" use between midnight to 6 am, £44 a month. The setup cost was paid via a government grant, many companies take that money and then add more for you to pay, but the equipment belongs to you. The satellite industry has given me access to the internet which the government has failed big time for a "first world" nation, but try buying the parts on the open market.

On 16/05/2017 at 10:01, Alphonsox said:

As Aiphonsox pointed out there are downsides to satellite internet.

Edited by asklair

9 hours ago, asklair said:

We use satellite internet, Tooway from NotSpot (notspotbroadband.com)

Just moved up to 25 Gigs a month, "free" use between midnight to 6 am, £44 a month. The setup cost was paid via a government grant, many companies take that money and then add more for you to pay, but the equipment belongs to you. The satellite industry has given me access to the internet which the government has failed big time for a "first world" nation, but try buying the parts on the open market.

As Aiphonsox pointed out there are downsides to satellite internet.

I went for the 4g router and the Vodafone sim, it works great. I just need to get it connected up to form our home network 

• Like 2

Guest Alphonsox

I managed to miss all the bungs for solar so haven't installed anything as yet. I was hoping the price might drop to reflect the lack of subsidy, but all that seems to have happened is the installers have all gone South. Maybe Arlene can attract them back with a share of the vote money.

3 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

I managed to miss all the bungs for solar so haven't installed anything as yet. I was hoping the price might drop to reflect the lack of subsidy, but all that seems to have happened is the installers have all gone South. Maybe Arlene can attract them back with a share of the vote money.

I got a quote recently and was disappointed they hadn't dropped much making it a really unattractive prospect currently.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone attempted there own kerb laying?

We are moved in and want to make a start on the gardens.  We have alot of soil that needs levelled out and land drainage that needs sorted first but I have been contemplating laying the kerbs to form the patio and driveway.  We have a small telescopic and cement mixer plus sand on-site, it would also keep me out of trouble for a few weekends. 

Thanks Declan,

I have been looking at 1000mm x 8" high x 5" wide - £13.00 + VAT (per metre) from a company in Newry.

Haven't yet priced around.  It will be a two man job, my brother will be helping......whether he likes it or not :)