Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

So...

Running the 16mm Pex-Al-Pex around to where the rad is.

2016-12-10_10-47-12

I'm using a 16/15 elbow:

20161210_223126

So it'll end up like this, two stubs of 15mm copper poking through the plasterboard at 965mm centres ready for the rad.

20161210_222952

The thing is, the next step is to put the vcl on the wall and then the plasterboard so I WON'T be getting to these compression joints again! Assembling with a smear of Jet Blue Plus btw. Should I test them somehow or just take a chance?

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

Should I test them somehow or just take a chance?

Look, I get very little excitement in my life so the adrenaline rush from taking chances like this is welcome! ;)

You've answered your own question!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'm using a 16/15 elbow:

20161210_223126

So it'll end up like this, two stubs of 15mm copper poking through the plasterboard at 965mm centres ready for the rad.

If that is going to be visible do you not have any chromed copper lying about as it always looks a bit neater ....

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If that is going to be visible do you not have any chromed copper lying about as it always looks a bit neater ....

Good point, thanks for the reminder! Yes I have some. I'd put it to one side and forgotten about it tbh as at one time I was looking at push fit fittings which don't play nicely with chromed copper.

Tempted once the two lengths of Pex and chrome tails are in, to temporarily bridge the chrome tails to form a pseudo loop and use my (Welsh designed :) ) test rig to prove those elbows:

SAM_3340

• Like 3

I do so wish I'd planned for the pipes to the towel rad BEFORE I cast the floor slab! :(

I need to get the pipes to it under this wall (where the tape is) and run parallel to the UFH pipes that are in the grey foam insulation for protection until I dig up the adjacent floor.

20161211_211213

Got as far as a 125mm core cutter through the first 2" of the slab then a 127mm Starrett through the A142 mesh. 

20161211_211250

20161211_211604

Not sure whether to try and bend the Pex-Al-Pex or just get two elbows?

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Use elbows ;). That way you won't be grazing the pipe on the concrete whilst trying to wrangle it in. 

Ta. I wasn't looking forward to gingerly bending it back on itself then threading down the hole. It'd be one minimum bend radius followed by another.

Then, in two minds whether I need to insulate these pipes to the rad or not. On the one hand I can't see the point of heating the boxed in space under the bath...might be detrimental to the pump motor too. Or should I leave them uninsulated so the (big) bath doesn't lose heat so quick when full?

Where they go thru the slab I'll either thread them through some 20mm flexible conduit then make good the concrete or run thru some 15 mm pipe insulation and again make good.

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Heat from those pipes will be the square root of naff all - pump motor will get hotter from the bath above than that pipe ...

OK, I'll insulate then on the basis of cutting down losses to the rad. Cheers.

On the subject of insulation and keeping the bath warm I'm thinking to infill between these studs on the long side of the bath:

20161125_204951

Currently behind that vcl is 50mm of Celotex then the cavity wall. I've some 100mm off cuts that I'm looking to use up. Or would some 50mm EPS doubled up be better. Thinking that Celotex is a bit noxious smell wise in a warm environment.

Pleased with the "rigidity" of the tap adapters through the ply/stainless backing plates. All seems good and solid.

Now a couple of random plumbing questions:

1) Using chromed copper pipe is there any difference if using copper or brass olives? The brass ones that came with the 15/16mm elbow were a real tight fit. They went on, eased by a smidge of Jet Blue Plus but I wasn't sure they were going to!

2) Pushing the Pex-Al-Pex elbow onto the Pex was quite hard. I worried it was starting to lift the first O ring out of it's groove so I countersunk the end of the Pex a tad. Right or wrong? I also gave a little squirt of silicon spray to ease it in.

20161212_161743

20161212_161839

With hindsight I'm sure there was an easier way of feeding this rad but with no proper flow and return anywhere near...

20161212_181118

Anyway, getting the "economy" thickness insulation on the Pex-Al-Pex:

20161212_181225

16mm Pex-Al-Pex is a bloody tight fit in 15mm pipe clips and the retainers won't snap into place. All for 1mm! Who knew! Think I'll just snap them off.

2016-12-12_06-19-35

The more I try and "plumb" properly the more I respect those who do it for a living. God knows why there's the historic plumbers vs electricians issues (aside from scorched T&E ;)).

Like the old vampires vs werewolves thing I guess, they're both pretty bad ass! :) 

Edited by Onoff

Wouldnt it be better for any heat loss from the pipes to be lost under the bath so perhaps not covering the pipes with insulation?  I always pack the space under a bath with loose insulation - I think it helps keep the water warm for longer

CC

On 12/12/2016 at 21:45, CC45 said:

Wouldnt it be better for any heat loss from the pipes to be lost under the bath so perhaps not covering the pipes with insulation?  I always pack the space under a bath with loose insulation - I think it helps keep the water warm for longer

CC

I was thinking not to add any more heat under the bath for the sake of the pump motor. 

Slowly does it... :)

The slab broke out quite neatly so I'll be able to get two runs in though might have to chop the Polypipe tray a bit. 

A bit of scrap pipe in just to gauge things but looks like the elbows will fit fine.

20161213_222459

20161213_222509

20161213_222551

Then sleeve the pipes and make good!

Edited by Onoff

Bugger!

I've bought these 15mm x 3/4" to go on the taps:

ae235.jpg

But they're too big diameter wise to fit down the adapter bosses unless I trim off the lugs:

SAM_4301

Or do I cut my losses and get these (again Hepworth) ones?

ae235 (1).jpg

Half a dozen Pex-Al-Pex adapters came in the post today so I've run the towel rad feeds. Going to insulate them before I concrete.

20161215_192804

20161215_192640

Christ knows how tight you do these elbows up? Being built like Burt from The Big Bang Theory I have a habit of breaking things! :ph34r:

(It's Doom Bar btw).

Half a dozen Pex-Al-Pex adapters came in the post today so I've run the towel rad feeds. Going to insulate them before I concrete.

20161215_192804

20161215_192640

Christ knows how tight you do these elbows up? Being built like Burt from The Big Bang Theory I have a habit of breaking things! :ph34r:

(It's Doom Bar btw).

• Like 1