Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

23 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Use sika to bond the tiles on the reveal so you just end up with the thickness of the tile against the window. The sika can be fag paper thin and still hold like a chav with a winning scratch card. B| 

That's how I was always told to do the horizontal upper tiles of a window reveal as it sets quicker than adhesive ...

Hmm.....lining the soffit of the reveal.....

From the top it goes:

- dodgy rendered soffit, solid both ends but a bit hollow to tap in the centre. A bit convex truth be told.

- blue DPM (non scuffed up) glued on with No Nonsense contact adhesive. Cleaned wuth Multi Solve first.

- Soudal low expansion foam on the scuffed underside of the DPM again cleaned with Multi Solve

- 27mm insulated Gyproc slid in so it will have "smeared" the foam at the ends.

Front edge has a line of Sikaflex and will be screwed to the timber when everything's gone off. The side gaps have Sika too but not doing much as supported by the vertical panels. Back edge gap where the board meets the UPVC frame is foam filled. See what it looks like when the wedges come out!

20161117_172844

20161117_172906

Edited by Onoff

When I get to the opposite corner of the room I need to build a stud wall to create a cupboard for the linen basket etc. It'll give a wall alongside the wc. An ideal place for the loo roll holder but it got me thinking...

I don't like the ones where the loo rolls are stacked with their axis vertical. Need to come up with something on these lines:

loo_roll_mag

The idea is twofold, number one storage. We always seen to have a half opened pack of loo rolls sitting in the bottom of the cupboard. Number two, just seems like a fun but practical thing to do. Need to figure how to, whilst "sitting":

- remove the empty roll - thinking may be a cardboard tube sized hole on the left stud so the empties fall into another stack for removal later. 

- to "load" the next one thinking some sort of sliding rod arrangement with the "lever" under the roll in use. Needs to drop one roll whilst stopping the others above dropping and take into account the stacked weight.

I can see different size rolls being an issue.

Plasterboard either side of the 145mm timber stud. The (red) "cam" is held against the roll by opposing / attracting (tba) magnets (?) instead of a spring I'm thinking. Pull the cam towards you and the roll drops down. Maybe extend the cam at the top to abut the roll "in waiting" above and stop it interfering with the action initially. Let go of the cam and the roll above drops into place.

loo_roll_dispenser_001.JPG

Early days but it's something to go on.....

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yes but is it designed around Andrex Quilted (other brands are available) or Aldi single ply ...??

Quite seriously THAT is the design's Achille's Heel. Different sizes will likely not work in some way. Drawing this up based on 120dia x 105lg.

Still it's something to do! xD

1 hour ago, TerryE said:

Those of us who are old enough remember stuff like this:

68a6eab1e23c9c7c246486c09037b8d1.jpg

A great way to polish the s**t on your arse!

I remember that at school! 

It had germicide impregnated in it I think. No wonder none of us ever got ill making ship's funnels etc from the old bog rolls.

They've banned toilet rolls for craft use at my youngest's school.

25 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

FFS. I despaire! 

A lot of the kids (juniors) used to like kicking a football before school. That was banned as it "hyped them up" before they went into register. It was all some of them looked forward to. There's a few apple tree there.....so they then started playing footy with the windfalls. That got banned as well. Haloween.....banned.

4/19 passed the 11+.

34 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

FFS. I despaire! 

Dont ... there is one of the "educational supplies" companies that provides them as part of their range of craft products ...!

not as bad as a cake sale at a local school here where the PTA treasurer wanted the money washed before counting it "as the children has sticky hands....."

Now then...

With hindsight I might have done this different but I basically battened the room so it was square. The walls were concave, convex, you name it. Below is the typical detail. Battens sitting on periodic packs that vary from 5mm upward. Plastic packs in some cases, timber in others or a combination. I've tried to gun foam behind the battens wherever.

20161120_193702

The wall where the window is, is so out that with the 50mm Celotex pushed back to the wall the distance to the face of the batten varies - I've shown clouded the 12, 20, 20, 25mm dimns and it gets worse the further you go along the wall.

20161120_162721

Is it worth just pushing in tight EPS off cuts as shown by the one marked with the "?"

20161120_193634

Also should I tape over the battens before I put the VCL on?

20161120_162751

Cheers