Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

A bit involved but should work:

led_004

(Ignore red circles).

Close......

Now how about getting the underhang extended down the thickness of the tile so the strip doesn't leave the leading edge of the cut exposed ? 

Shame, so close to me not criticising it :D

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Close......

Now how about getting the underhang extended down the thickness of the tile so the strip doesn't leave the leading edge of the cut exposed ? 

Shame, so close to me not criticising it :D

You mean in effect drop the pink bit lower?

So...the 4-pin black plug cut off the LED light strip and put to one side. The IR sensor cut off of the white driver module and fitted inside the actual light strip itself using cores 1,2 & 3 of the 7-core extension. These 3 cores pass thru the pre-drilled hole in the end cap. Also coming out of the same hole (it's tight ;) ) are the 4 wires that originally went to the 4-pin plug. These are soldered to cores 4,5,6 and the cpc. Heat shrink is the original colours - blk/red/grn & blu. 

2017-01-04_10-51-51

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

So this maybe? I can bring 12mm ply down the front then infill with a 26x13.5 (aka 12mm) strip and some 6mm thick:

led_006

Tbh that 16.5mm tile strip.....not sure.....if done well I guess.....

Will mean sticking that back bit of tile up to the marine ply with something "thin" i.e. other than tile adhesive.

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

image.jpg

?

Like it, should give more colour "wash" down the reveal whilst being better hidden.

Think my hole's in the wrong place though.....

To the CAD pc!

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

i don't mean to pick holes but what are you going to fix the tile trims to?

also we have very similar hand writing except if i had written it there would be the odd lower case letter just to confuse people xD usually in the middle of a word....

Pick holes? You're supposed to be making a brick! :)

• Like 1

Ref @Nickfromwales idea; the red dashed hole is where I've my flexible conduit exit and it's immovable tbh. I wanted it to line up with the light strip really:

led_007

I need to make a decision asap ref what tile trims to get. White, plastic quadrant is a given as that's what SWMBO wants. But with an 8mm tile do I go for 8 or 10 I just don't know.....I've shown the 10mm one.

Edited by Onoff

2 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

what are you going to fix the tile trims to?

The trims get sikaflex'd to the tile and mitre bonded together. To stop them 'flapping', the reverse gets bonded to the rear of the alu LED profile. ;)

Bomb-chuffin'-proof. 

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Think my hole's in the wrong place though.....

Go to doctor. ??

Oh, and go for a 10mm tile trim as you'll need some void for whatever adhesive you use. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Go to doctor. ??

Oh, and go for a 10mm tile trim as you'll need some void for whatever adhesive you use. 

Doing it "your way" which tbh I'd prefer then the LED extrusion would be offset to the conduit by about 22mm. Going to have to go for this:

led_008

Thinking that instead of 16.5mm wide tile I could mitre bond a bit of 16mm mini trunking between the two tile trims.

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok, explain why the conduit is 'immovable' ? 

Id chew my right arm off to get rid of that 16mm rip. 

20mm flexible conduit coming thru a 20mm hole in a 95x45 upright of the stud wall:

20170105_214006

I could angle a 20mm Starrett I guess to connect the two hole positions.....

This 10mm Genesis pvc trim has a little lip. Can't see two trims abutting neatly because of this?

2017-01-05_10-37-00

Can't see how they'll butt neatly:

led_009.JPG

Edited by Onoff

50 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

run a bead of gripfill along and finger squeeze until it 'looks' right  ?

Dunno, I'll wait till the trim arrives. Ordered 10 lengths just over £30 plus some external corners.

Tempted to just glue a length of MT2 under there and be done with it! :) Half mulling whether I could run a length of 20mm round pvc through the table saw and use half as a 10mm radius capping with no joint! Sod's Law it'd be a different white!

Just watch the adhesive on the led strips as it's pretty useless on some when it gets warm. Pound shop do 4 bottles of cyano and that's what I use to stick them onto the trims as otherwise they start to come off.