Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

You've lost me ? 

Across the mitred corner in the picture above is 400mm - the tiles are 400x250. BUT...as is there's ugly rips either side. If I bring the lhs mosaic in toward the corner by making it a tad wider then it'll be two full tiles to the mitre. 

Similar on the rhs by the window. Where the 3-way valve is shown I can make that up to a full width tile as necessary. Widen the mosaic strip a bit by the window and again it'll give me two full tiles from mosaic to mitre. Everything will look symmetrical. Going to take some working out but I'll take my time...:ph34r:

One bug is I think the edge of the UFH will be under the mitre.

Updated model to follow!

On 31/12/2017 at 19:25, Onoff said:

Couldn't resist mocking up a shower (& flush plate) but tbh I think it's the best place for it (the shower) on the other wall:

Does this shower have a wander head as well as the fixed head - if not then that probably needs thinking through as well - lots of people like the idea of a wander head to jet wash those otherwise inaccessible corners, sorry.

10 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Does this shower have a wander head as well as the fixed head - if not then that probably needs thinking through as well - lots of people like the idea of a wander head to jet wash those otherwise inaccessible corners, sorry.

You mean you don't do handstands in the shower?! :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Yep, it'll be a fixed overhead rainfall head if I can decide the size then a slider bar on the wall with hose / wander head which I've already ordered  (as pic) along with the diverter valve.

A3041.jpg.dcb754abf9c764a568fb8b7a994d2659.jpg

The valve will divert between the two. So either or but not both.

It does all seem remarkably complicated.

What about one of those things which which give you both types of head at £80, as recommended by @Nickfromwales ?

That is, thermostatic mixer showers. I bought 2 and they seem fine.

What is mitre-ing the corner in aid of? Is it a sort of self-torture thing like building Blackpool Tower from matchsticks because you can, or is someone in the house octagonal on plan?

Bemused.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

21 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

What is mitre-ing the corner in aid of? Is it a sort of self-torture thing like building Blackpool Tower from matchsticks because you can, or is someone in the house octagonal on plan?

Mitreing the corner reduces a geometric thermal bridge?

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

It does all seem remarkably complicated.

What about one of those things which which give you both types of head at £80, as recommended by @Nickfromwales ?

That is, thermostatic mixer showers. I bought 2 and they seem fine.

Bemused.

F

I have followed @Nickfromwales advice and bought one of these:

M-2017-2-22--11-43-50-289.jpg

Complicated is good, keeps the brain ticking over! As for the mitred corner, it was Nick who posted one he's done and it looks cool...plus the wife is keen. A big dose too of could I as opposed to should I! :)

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Mitreing the corner reduces a geometric thermal bridge?

That corner is bloody cold as it's where the 4" soil comes in through the wall. Can't see that packing it with a bit more insulation can hurt!

16 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That corner is bloody cold as it's where the 4" soil comes in through the wall. Can't see that packing it with a bit more insulation can hurt!

It's changing the geometry that helps.  At the centre of a wall there is only one 2D heat loss path - outwards.  At the point of a corner there are two heat loss paths, one out through either wall.  The result is that corners can have a greater heat loss because of their geometry, hence the term geometric thermal bridge. 

It's one reason, along with decreased local airflow, why black mould more often grows in internal corners, as they are often colder and hence tend to attract more condensation.

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

IMG_0011.thumb.JPG.45f16499f697cdce3ee6c47825936411.JPG

Ooh! hark at Mr "I can do this with one arm behind my back in a cast!

I blame YOU for everything! 

;)

Did you make a model first? :ph34r:

Pretty much what I'm aiming at. You now have me thinking whether it would be better to have the pocket off to one side and the slider rail on the mitre like you have. Much card to be guillotined before I decide!

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

;)

Pretty much what I'm aiming at. You now have me thinking whether it would be better to have the pocket off to one side and the slider rail on the mitre like you have. Much card to be guillotined before I decide!

Get the swing doors like that correct, and you can go into it like Clint Eastwood into a saloon bar...

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

;)

I would not have a shelf in direct waterfall / constantly splashed over TBH. That's a water trap and you'd struggle to stop water getting under the tile. If I was doing that for an insistent customer ( :ph34r: ) I'd put a solid sill ( cill ? how DO you spell that ? ) like granite / Corian sobit can be sealed back to the vertical faces and it could be angled slightly 'downhill' so the water didn't sit there. 

"Recipe" 

"Disaster" 

?

58 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I would not have a shelf in direct waterfall / constantly splashed over TBH. That's a water trap and you'd struggle to stop water getting under the tile. If I was doing that for an insistent customer ( :ph34r: ) I'd put a solid sill ( cill ? how DO you spell that ? ) like granite / Corian sobit can be sealed back to the vertical faces and it could be angled slightly 'downhill' so the water didn't sit there. 

"Recipe" 

"Disaster" 

?

I don't know if the missus will go for it but I have, salvaged from our first house a +1" thick marble kitchen slab. That might work for sentimental reasons  if I were to get a triangular piece water jet cut out of it?

When those doors in your picture opened up did they "join" together as in a magnetic strip etc to form an enclosure?

Yup. 'Twas a narrow room so the idea was a completely fold away shower so they could cut a straight line to the peepee machine and have a bit of room when using the sink. 

I desgned it from scratch and it worked out great, other than when Novellini gave me the wrong sized shower glasses and tried to blame me. I nearly knocked the Rep out when he came to site 3 weeks later with an unusable shower. What a condescending prick he was. I actually said that I'd like him to get out of the bathroom so when he hit something on the way down it wouldn't be expensive. 

Tossa. ?

• Haha 1

I'm betting those Novellini doors weren't cheap? Going to try without first. If it's impractical then I'll attach glass wings or doors up the mosaic line as I've studs there.

This is the current manisfestation! 1 tile width for the mitre then 2 either side. Just need to widen (move?) the mosaic strip:

20180104_225019

(I know my grout lines are off, I'd had a beer, was knackered and still high from watching the new Jumanji! :) )

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

This is the current manisfestation! 1 tile width for the mitre then 2 either side. Just need to widen (move?) the mosaic strip:

IMHO it looks odd. I think it would look better if the shower were mounted on the mitred corner as in Nick's picture. Could just be that I like everything symmetrical though.

18 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

IMHO it looks odd. I think it would look better if the shower were mounted on the mitred corner as in Nick's picture. Could just be that I like everything symmetrical though.

But Nick's single shelf to the left and drain alignment messes up the symmetry imo!

I'll have another think...mount the slider rail on the mitre and have a pocket either side. Only issue there is limited depth for the pocket on the right.