Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

Well that'll teach me to try and show off!

I decided to cut out for the shower hose back plate. a CAD drawing later and some ply pinned on for the ROUTER:

20180420_184652

Gave me a neat little triangular hollow some 32mm deep.

20180420_191827

With a bit of rearranging of the ply a slot was cut. First faux pas at the end (my fault entirely).

20180420_194913

Other than that it fits a treat. 

The 15mm copper will solder in, go along the slot, thru a 45deg turn then offset by 45mm into the valve. The slot with the rest of the ply will be covered by Aqua Panel anyway:

20180420_194956

BUT...I took the Hudson Reed chromed shower outlet into the garden...and it rolled off the ply and onto the concrete. The most visible bit is scuffed. It'll annoy the Hell out of me and her!

20180420_184710

20180420_184721

Anyone know where I can get a new one on it's own?

Tbh I feel a complete:

20180420_194634

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

You really have missed you vocation in life

if NASA ever need another shuttle fixing type guy I would nominate you. 

I would have hacked it out with a blunt chisel and a club hammer ?⚒

Ta. Just edited. Tbh I invariably ALWAYS get it spot on second time around! Not much good if you're the first crew of astronauts! :)

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

You really have missed you vocation in life

if NASA ever need another shuttle fixing type guy I would nominate you. 

I would have hacked it out with a blunt chisel and a club hammer ?⚒

Would a jigsaw not have been middle ground ? :D 

12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hmmm....I used a 32mm wood bit and a multitool. Was pressure tested and I was still in the pub by 6 ;) 

I mulled spade & Forstner bits but decided on the easy route in the end... :ph34r:

This is why most of my drinking is at home...I'd never make the pub for closing!

Even THAT went west tonight. Had to suffer WARM Cobra! 

16 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Thats what happens when you drink warm beer ;)  

Certainly don't try and get a DW625e router back in the box when you've had a couple. It's hard enough sober!

I couldn't do this plumbing lark for a living:

20180421_120831

Bloody nerve wracking if it doesn't fit...but it did! :) 140mm offset. Yes, first go and minor trimming:

2018-04-21_01-18-05

20180421_123520

20180421_123630

20180421_130237

The hardest one done at least.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

(I did manage to sneak in a crafty Cobra...)

Oh for a clean slate! :)

At the mo this is what I'm going to have to tap into for the shower. Left to right:

x2 pipes ending in flexis from the shower pump the other end of the house. Feeds the bar mixer in the upstairs ensuite. Not sure what's hot / what's cold tbh. All are hidden within the dormer ceiling:

2018-04-21_02-52-51

Still, made some progress:

20180421_180610

But I need really, and I've been putting it off, to move this grey, diagonal soil pipe that runs across the top of the new bathroom ceiling.

(Copper left to right is hot to shower, rainfall head, cold to shower).

20180421_180838

Moving that soil wil make plumbing and electric runs so much easier and even help positioning the rainfall head as well as giving better all round access. Can I lay a swept soil bend on it's side? Figure better than an ordinary 112.5deg elbow.

@Nickfromwales, how many turns of PTFE shoul I apply to these 1/2" fittings into the valve? Cheers,

I assume also it's OK to leave the 15mm copper overlength sticking up in the loft and solder my elbows on later? Or will I risk crap dropping down into the valve?

But before all that I've a corner to insulate/foam up as well as making sure there's noggins in the right place to pick up the Aqua Panels. What a lovely day for cutting PIR on the patio! :)

2018-04-22_12-24-58

Though it might not look like it I got more done than I thought I would in between washing cars and a beer!

Fully nogged to take the Aqua Panels at 900mm high:

20180422_192439

Added timber full length next to the window to take a screen if we find it needs one.

Glued, screwed and foamed in the board for the valve:

20180422_192453

20180422_192506

The shallow pocket is bugging me though. Dimns in red are from the original wall to face of new timber studwork. Can't decide whether to scabble off some of the block where it's 90/92mm to the right of the laser line to get it down to about 120mm minimum? You can just see in the photo above how the breeze block projects into the space. It wouldn't take long with the SDS chisel would it?

20180422_192519

Maybe I'll start the PIR tomorrow...

Edited by Onoff

The pace on this project is now approaching frenetic!

Dont skimp on the ptfe - I was a bit mean 1st time (fitted 3 in our self build) and the fitting was all the way  in and still leaked.  I always put a lot at  the end of the thread so it makes a shoulder there.

Skimming starts upstairs this week - getting worried you may even  overtake my slow paced build! 

16 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

"All hail the ale!" 

20 turns and a smear of goop, not a blob. No goop on the female thread ;)  

Ta. So 20 turns and goop on top of the PTFE? That's the 1/2" male into the valve.

On the 15mm compression just a smear of goop around the seat in the brass before the olive sits or seat the olive first then goop after round the outside of that?

I must admit getting a dab of Jet Blue Plus on any compression thread seems to make them nut up much smoother and prevent any weeps. No squealing of brass on brass either! (It was you gave me that tip when I did my MDPE to brass stop cock on the water main though I think you favour another product).

(Me, pedantic? :) )