Fitting concealed shower valves and taps - tips?

It may be the brass of the fitting is flawed. Double check exactly where it's weeping from before considering a leak sealing product. 

I've split brass items before, ( a good few times TBH ), by over PTFE'ing them and over tightening. Check this isn't the case. 

My favourite is Rocol Gas Seal of all things. Works excellently at lubricating the threads / filling the valleys and is almost completely non-setting. 

The jet blue / boss white stuff isn't bad TBH, but I don't find it smears as well unless you've put quite a bit on. Always dismount compression stuff after final assembly to remove any excess product from the interval bore of the pipe / fitting or just be VERY sparing when applying.....a little goes a long way ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

My favourite is Rocol Gas Seal of all things. Works excellently at lubricating the threads / filling the valleys and is almost completely non-setting. 

The jet blue / boss white stuff isn't bad TBH, but I don't find it smears as well unless you've put quite a bit on. Always dismount compression stuff after final assembly to remove any excess product from the interval bore of the pipe / fitting or just be VERY sparing when applying.....a little goes a long way ;) 

Only reason I didn't go for the Rocol is I didn't think it was for use on potable supplies?

17 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

@dpmiller, @JSHarris, @jamiehamy, @Peter M, @Onoff,  @Bitpipe, @Crofter, @Temp, @Barney12  and all of you:

you speak in tongues. 

Piccies, gimme piccies of what you's all gabblin' about; please!

Here you go. This is a basin spout. When screwed into the elbow it contacts the wall tiles before becoming fully tight and ends up pointing in the 4 O'clock position rather than the required 6 O'clock.  So you have to undo it almost a full turn to get it vertical. That leaves a gap between the spout and the wall. We ended up using a Dremel to remove a little of the tile to allow us to tighten it up a bit more. 

IMG_3669.JPG.aafde6eaeff51c1fc38b733a42af87f5.JPG

This type of outside tap can also be a problem....

sferaco-robinet-de-puisage.jpg

If you just screw the tap into the elbow chances are it will be pointing sideways when it's tight. You have to apply lots of tape and hope it's reasonably tight once you get to the vertical position. Now imagine that problem when the elbow is hidden in a wall and the tiles are on. Not only must the fitting end up vertical but also the right depth relative to the face of the tiles.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

Just now, joe90 said:

regarding the outside tap i always fit the tap to the through the wall fitting first. then you fix the back plate after so you can always make sure its vertical.

Yes, that works for a rear-entry outside tap fitting, but doesn't for the ones with the pipe coming in at the bottom.  We have two like that, both with MDPE pipe coming up from underneath, and it's one application where the liquid PTFE is a godsend, as you can just apply the stuff, screw the tap on until it's near-enough tight, but straight, then leave it for a while for the sealant to cure. 

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

regarding the outside tap i always fit the tap to the through the wall fitting first. then you fix the back plate after so you can always make sure its vertical.

Nah! The "Welsh" method is what you want!

Fit the outside tap brass back plate so the 3 holes are nice and symmetrical. Then twenty something turns of PTFE tape on the thread and screw in the tap. You'll know when to stop and it'll be nice and level! (9bar on this btw).

2017-06-24_03-53-58

(Copyright @Nickfromwales )

:)