Passive House, storms and power cuts

15 minutes ago, bgmill said:

As it's for emergency backup I'm less concerned about running costs plus not having to worry about storing a decent supply of petrol does appeal to me.

Also, modern petrol can go off unless you put in an additive.

• 11 months later...

Have I found the answer to my problems in a power cut?

2D804087-F2A2-479A-A575-DD21FB7D300F.thumb.jpeg.de67d14edaf3184720e6e27b6ecbc215.jpeg

This little rascal is the EcoFlow River 2 Portable Power Station.  I can plug it in to the mains and then plug the MVHR into it. In the event of a power cut it will instantly take over (in 30ms according to the blurb) and run the MVHR. 

If I’ve got the maths correct and more importantly I’ve understood the electrickery bits properly it’ll run the MVHR on setting 2 for over 11 hours (standing by for being slated on both the above points…) It’s capacity is 256Wh and the rated power of the Brink on setting 2 (200m3/hr) is 23W. 

On top of all that, when I go wild camping (I don’t) I can take it with me to power the ghetto blaster for ages!

Does anyone have any experience of the portable power stations? Is my planning sound?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Russdl said:

2D804087-F2A2-479A-A575-DD21FB7D300F.thumb.jpeg.de67d14edaf3184720e6e27b6ecbc215.jpeg

This little rascal is the EcoFlow River 2 Portable Power Station.  I can plug it in to the mains and then plug the MVHR into it. In the event of a power cut it will instantly take over (in 30ms according to the blurb) and run the MVHR. 

If I’ve got the maths correct and more importantly I’ve understood the electrickery bits properly it’ll run the MVHR on setting 2 for over 11 hours (standing by for being slated on both the above points…) It’s capacity is 256Wh and the rated power of the Brink on setting 2 (200m3/hr) is 23W. 

On top of all that, when I go wild camping (I don’t) I can take it with me to power the ghetto blaster for ages!

Does anyone have any experience of the portable power stations? Is my planning sound?

Yes my electric car. Technically meets the definition of a portable power station. I powered a 1600W concrete breaker from it on and off for 9 hours for several days. We also have a portable induction hob we use for camping. We had some builders at the farm in the summer and there was a power cut. I ran an extension cord for them to let them power their concrete mixer and charge their batteries. So yes your battery pack will work fine. The main thing is to keep it charged and to actually use it occasionally. Power cuts are infrequent after all. 

• Like 2

We're not super-rural here but we've already had at least six power cuts this year. None of them long, but it's not exactly inspiring confidence.

Fortunately, I already have the battery and EPS-touting inverter; just need to add some wiring to make it useful throughout the house.

@Kelvin  Thanks for that, the plan is that it will be plugged in 24/7 so fully charged all the time and only discharging to the MVHR in a power cut (or when I take it away for a day trip up some mountain somewhere). 

It would appear from the blurb that its was primarily designed for off grid use but also functions as power station, UPS, call it what you will. 

I think I’ll go for it. 

10 hours ago, Russdl said:

It’s capacity is 256Wh and the rated power of the Brink on setting 2 (200m3/hr) is 23W. 

9 hours ago, Russdl said:

have I got the sums about right

256 [Wh] / 23 [W]

The watts cancel out leaving the hours.

256 / 23 = 11 [h]

Yes

How much is it?

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Russdl said:

For ~£300 it will give you comfort during power cuts and I’m sure you will find other uses for it during the year and yes the numbers work. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Russdl said:

£269 the cheapest I’ve seen so far, so an expensive solution to a rare problem but it’s not a one trick pony which is what tempts me. 

If it was just for the MVHR, I would be tempted to buy a cheap inverter that runs of a leisure battery, which is on a trickle charger.

But that is probably £200 quid in reality.