For designers; it makes me really sad the terrible choices people make

CharlieKLP

53 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

I generally just like things to be beautiful or useful you know? 

If there’s a feature I want to make the most of it, and if there’s a layout that works with a nice use of spaces then I’m for it. In terms of what the house looks like, I like it to be all in the same style and balanced. 

I like this one. I obviously didn’t design it, but I think it’s fab and I understand it. Great spaces, clear ideas, nice shape and textures, good.

image.thumb.jpeg.445e55b6f187123a548b812ffe242637.jpeg

This is nice, but it has a pretty noticeable flaw in my opinion. Why is that drawn curtain visible from the outside? The glazing should have been made smaller, or a recess should have been designed in on the inside for most of the curtain to draw into. That just looks ugly from the outside and increases glazing cost and solar gain unnecessarily.

Otherwise very nice house!

24 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

This is nice, but it has a pretty noticeable flaw in my opinion. Why is that drawn curtain visible from the outside? The glazing should have been made smaller, or a recess should have been designed in on the inside for most of the curtain to draw into. That just looks ugly from the outside and increases glazing cost and solar gain unnecessarily.

That's interesting, and perhaps where a designer needs to listen to the client - who is the judge and the jury ultimately, whilst the designer is more like the Clerk of the Court advising from a knowledge- and experience-base.

Perhaps the client doesn't find a visible drawn curtain offensive, and would rather spend the remedial 5 or 10k on something else, such as a boathouse, Sage-glass, or a row of mature trees.

30 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree 😂

It may be vertical blinds that are shunted fully to one side of the track to show-off the bedroom for the photo. If so, they probably spend most if not all of their time pulled across but tilted to control light and privacy. Under these conditions an uninterrupted view (from a favoured angle) is available that wouldn't be with a narrower window opening. At least that's my feelings.

The only thing that looks a little weak to me is the rectangular window at the first floor level. It cries out for a bolder statement here. Maybe a bigger diamond shape matching the roofline?

7 minutes ago, Radian said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree 😂

It may be vertical blinds that are shunted fully to one side of the track to show-off the bedroom for the photo. If so, they probably spend most if not all of their time pulled across but tilted to control light and privacy. Under these conditions an uninterrupted view (from a favoured angle) is available that wouldn't be with a narrower window opening. At least that's my feelings.

I respectfully take on board this possibility, but I still think it is a very remote possibility. Look at the curtains zoomed in:

00FF6976-E6BE-48F2-AEEA-7B7139D37BDF.thumb.jpeg.edd26bfc49e6f9e639254ed443dfd85d.jpeg

These are definitely regular floor to ceiling curtains - very beautiful when viewed from the inside. Not so nice when viewed from the outside.

3 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

These are definitely regular floor to ceiling curtains - very beautiful when viewed from the inside. Not so nice when viewed from the outside.

Yep.  An after-market addition when the client realised that the 'architect's vision' seriously spoiled a game of 'Mr Wobbly Hides His Helmet'...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

I like this one. I obviously didn’t design it, but I think it’s fab and I understand it. Great spaces, clear ideas, nice shape and textures, good.

image.thumb.jpeg.445e55b6f187123a548b812ffe242637.jpeg

I just see a waste of spce between the non PV friendly roofs.

And flies from the pond, until it is balanced (ask me how I know about this problem).

• Like 1

It’s quite surprising to hear people changing something with is lovely into something that I think would not be. Just goes to show lol

I think the flies are a good point, but the glazing means they don’t have to go out to enjoy the water. The whole house is like a deck.

It’s an eco-house, so they have considered solar etc and met the criteria. 

I like the curtains. I think you can see the liner from the outside. They are nice in the bedroom. image.thumb.jpeg.8f4ce630b2c4a6384abde5a73cbcb1c4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

It’s quite surprising to hear people changing something with is lovely into something that I think would not be. Just goes to show lol

I think the flies are a good point, but the glazing means they don’t have to go out to enjoy the water. The whole house is like a deck.

It’s an eco-house, so they have considered solar etc and met the criteria. 

I like the curtains. I think you can see the liner from the outside. They are nice in the bedroom. image.thumb.jpeg.8f4ce630b2c4a6384abde5a73cbcb1c4.jpeg

Got to agree with you

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

What ever the (expletive deleted) that means.

Could claim that my shed is eco as it is timber, insulated and has south facing windows.

Not sure it would be that eco.

Trees cut down with a chainsaw - hydro carbon powered.  tree pulled out of wood with tractor -  hydro carbon powered, transported with lorry to processing plant - cut and dried -  hydro carbon powered etc etc - possibly clad with wood from the other side of the world.

Put together with a gas powered nail gun.  Not much eco about it - same as most buildings in reality

18 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

... and a home automation system for the lighting @SteamyTea

Made in China, with coal powered electricity and then shipped across the world, not very eco either really.  If it used 1W that nearly 9kWh per year that does not need to be consumed.

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

What ever the (expletive deleted) that means.

Could claim that my shed is eco as it is timber, insulated and has south facing windows.

It’s off grid and makes its own heat and power from renewables, water from a borehole and own sewage treatment. The building fabric also as eco as possible, I don’t know why people are being so cynical about it, they made a decent effort.

5 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

own heat and power from renewables

Probably from burning timber, which, apart from beign highly pollution, takes a lot of land area.

I don’t know why people are being so cynical about it

Mainly because there is no real definition of ECO. I saw a company that rented clasic cars claiming to be ECO as they did not have to buy new cars.

they made a decent effort

Maybe, and probably given bum information.  Who was the environmental consultant, and did they show their workings?, 

Edited by SteamyTea

11 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

Wood is a carbon neutral fuel. If it comes from a sustainable local source it’s fine.

Its only carbon neutral if the tree fell over, died or the part used to burn fell off the tree and would otherwise decompose where it fell.  A tree chopped down for firewood, isn't carbon neutral.  As the tree would continue to absorb CO2 all the time it lived.

When the tree is burnt it releases all the trapped CO2, but also releases lots of particulates and other pollutants.

1 minute ago, JohnMo said:

Its only carbon neutral if the tree fell over, died or the part used to burn fell off the tree and would otherwise decompose where it fell.  A tree chopped down for firewood, isn't carbon neutral.  As the tree would continue to absorb CO2 all the time it lived.

When the tree is burnt it releases all the trapped CO2, but also releases lots of particulates and other pollutants.

That’s not true, if you grow young trees then replace the tree it’s sustainable. It’s not even necessary to kill a tree, it’s just a part of forest maintenance.

but anyway, it’s classed as sustainable and compared to the rest of us using gas or electricity from the grid, it is.

22 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

That’s not true, if you grow young trees then replace the tree it’s sustainable.

Oh dear. How many young trees would you have to grow in order for them to absorb the same amount of CO2 as the tree you cut down and burnt.

Or to put it another way, how long would it take for one tree to absorb the CO2 released from one evenings burning?

Sustainable is a bit of a wooly term. You can argue that over a 40 year period if you burnt one tree then its replacement might absorb the same amount of CO2 as was originally burnt. That doesn't make it sustainable. 

47 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

That’s not true, if you grow young trees then replace the tree it’s sustainable. It’s not even necessary to kill a tree, it’s just a part of forest maintenance.

but anyway, it’s classed as sustainable and compared to the rest of us using gas or electricity from the grid, it is.

A young tree absorbs very little CO2, it's not until the they are in the middle growing phase that they absorb lots of CO2.  The issue is we cut a tree down at 20 to 40 years old and it's in the absorb lots of CO2 phase.  And replace it with a tree that sequester very little CO2 in comparison for 10 to 15 years.  

Planting a tree is good, chopping them down is not.  You can kid yourself on, its sustainable but, really it's not.

48 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Oh dear. How many young trees would you have to grow in order for them to absorb the same amount of CO2 as the tree you cut down and burnt.

If you planted a tree, then chopped it down later and planted another it’s pretty much 1:1, that’s how carbon capture works.