Explitive Deleted

make sure you notify the council (As Jap knot weed is a notifibiable weed) just so they can log it against your property, and make sure it comes up on any future searches and de-values your property accordingly... Or, Kill the bar-steward, and tell nobody. Had some at my daughters tiny garden 10ft x 10ft total garden size. i spent 2 years spraying the crap out of it on a weekly basis. ( Over the top, and a waste of weed killer). Then dug it out, took 12" of soil out, and stuck 6"of concrete over 6" of rubble, over a geotex membrane.......I've never seen it again.

• Like 1

Cornwall had a large program to eradicate JKW a decade or so back. It was largely successful and I have not seen any for a good few years now. So this was a complete surprise. 15 years ago I started spraying it when it appeared in the car parking area. Couple of years of monthly spraying and it went away. Shall go out and check the area tomorrow when everyone has gone to work.

If it really devalued property, why have homes in Cornwall always been relatively expensive.

9 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Do you think some evil genius is going around coating crossbow bolts with JKW spores and then loosing them off at the planters of people they find tiresome. 9_9

Don't know, I can't get into others tiny minds.

However…..from the above piece….

Since only female plants occur in Britain they are unable to reproduce sexually, but are available for pollination by any related species in the area.  This they do very well, and most seed collected from F. japonica in Britain is the result of pollination by the related Russian Vine (Fallopia baldschuanica), to give Fallopia x conollyana. In locations where Japanese Knotweed grows close to male plants of Giant Knotweed or the hybrid F. x bohemica, enormous amounts of seed can be produced some years. 

?

22 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Luckily it has taken root in a large planter, so when it dies down a bit, I can remove it, along with the bamboo.

Let it dry out and then burn the lot, bamboo and all, not worth the risk trying to separate them.

22 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

make sure you notify the council (As Jap knot weed is a notifibiable weed) just so they can log it against your property, and make sure it comes up on any future searches and de-values your property accordingly.

Nooooo. Just burn the planter, knot weed and all.