If you have anthracite grey ...

Mandana

... windows and doors, what colour did you, or will you paint the window boards? 

• The same RAL as the windows

• White

• Same colours as the walls (in our case, a soft white like ‘linen’)

Next question ... are you happy with your choice?!

Thanks both

We're still in two minds. There’s no ‘white white’ ~ all ‘slightly off whites’, and our last house had black cills to match the back windows, albeit the depth was less. 

Going to keep pondering ... along with the gazillion other things to think about!! ?

15 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Most have white frames internally. Grey too strong inside 

we're going the other way. we were going to have white internal timber and anthracite grey alu-clad external but after lots of thinking and looking at photos and watching lots of Building the Dream we've decided that we prefer the anthracite internally as well as externally. we love the dark windows frames internally.

but we've not decided on cill colour yet. so that's another on the list of things to decide!

Edited by Thorfun

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

we're going the other way. we were going to have white internal timber and anthracite grey alu-clad external but after lots of thinking and looking at photos and watching lots of Building the Dream we've decided that we prefer the anthracite internally as well as externally. we love the dark windows frames internally.

but we've not decided on cill colour yet. so that's another on the list of things to decide!

Like you, our windows are anthracite both sides. 

No one tell us we’d have two gazillion things to choose and decide on when we start this journey, do they?! ?

8097D75F-3793-4954-A3FE-F95E08CEC1D0.jpeg

17 hours ago, Mandana said:

... windows and doors, what colour did you, or will you paint the window boards? 

• The same RAL as the windows

• White

• Same colours as the walls (in our case, a soft white like ‘linen’)

Next question ... are you happy with your choice?!

Our windows are grey, RAL 7037, inside and outside with the window board and paintwork white and the outside sill matching the windows.

6 hours ago, Mandana said:

Like you, our windows are anthracite both sides. 

No one tell us we’d have two gazillion things to choose and decide on when we start this journey, do they?! ?

8097D75F-3793-4954-A3FE-F95E08CEC1D0.jpeg

looks great! I'm so jealous that you're so far ahead of us in our build, but I know we'll get there at some point!

On 14/02/2021 at 16:52, PeterStarck said:

201431473_Venetianblinds.thumb.JPG.014da4b5cc2bac3ba277f54c4d4a6da2.JPG

DSC_7536.thumb.jpg.7a50cb156fe4a750c883d3a88931b3a3.jpg

Beautiful house! 

We have gone for anthracite external and internal with a quartz sill in the kitchen to match the work top and all the rest of the house have white sills. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@ThorfunWe are wrestling with the same decision right now. Originally we were going anthracite outside and inside but we've had a bit of a wobble just as we're about to confirm the order details. Can I ask, do you really notice the inside colour or has it blended in? How easy has it been to match in other interior colours? What colour paint have you gone for on the walls and reveals? Excuse the cheek but could you DM a discrete picture or two?

2 hours ago, GraemeHM said:

@ThorfunWe are wrestling with the same decision right now. Originally we were going anthracite outside and inside but we've had a bit of a wobble just as we're about to confirm the order details. Can I ask, do you really notice the inside colour or has it blended in? How easy has it been to match in other interior colours? What colour paint have you gone for on the walls and reveals? Excuse the cheek but could you DM a discrete picture or two?

I would love to be able to answer your questions but we haven't even broken ground yet! sorry if I gave any other impression. maybe @Mandana can answer them?

our decision was made by watching a lot of Building the Dream/Grand Designs and also looking at photos online to compare white and anthracite internal and we decided that we just prefer anthracite. 

Will happily post pictures (no need for DM) when I have them and I have also started a blog on here where pictures will be going up as the build progresses so I can share our journey with other buildhubbers.

Edited by Thorfun

3 hours ago, GraemeHM said:

It blends in, in my view. @Bitpipe has lived in house for a while, can't remember exactly what colour - think it might have been 7021 both sides but it was grey. Works great for me but I don't live with it but he'd be a good source to answer.

Edited by craig

10 hours ago, craig said:

It blends in, in my view. @Bitpipe has lived in house for a while, can't remember exactly what colour - think it might have been 7021 both sides but it was grey. Works great for me but I don't live with it but he'd be a good source to answer.

Yes, we went for Basalt grey (7012) and it's a lovely blue/green grey. Inside we went for a 50% paint finish (a mushroom colour) so the underlying grain shows through - just basic spruce frames.

We got all cills and other metal work (guttering, soffits etc..) in the same RAL and even our external gates. 

The slate roof, black solar panels and grey GRP all sit well with it also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GraemeHM said:

Be bold or not

Don’t be scared to go bold. I had a customer go with pink, at every stage I was asking “are you sure”. It worked very well, to me it’s a bit dark but that's at site visits, after clients have moved in it really works.

We have anthracite outside, oak inside.

I love the oak where we have white paint, but we have very dark walls in some rooms and the oak is too light.

Friends of mine have just self-built and went for anthracite inside and out. I think it looks great, to the point where I'd consider something similar if I ever lost what's left of my mind and decided to build again.

14 hours ago, GraemeHM said:

Morning @GraemeHM 

We’ve gone for anthracite inside and out, and where we have window boards we will be painting them the same colour. 

Walls will Farrow & Ball’s Ammonite. 

Will take a picture for you later, but the walls are currently in the mist coat stage and the window boards are still in primer. 

Hope that helps!