S-Box (and other pop up socket options)

I've been Googling options for pop up sockets for the kitchen. The ones I've seen at the sheds all seem to be the rising column type and frankly feel somewhat flimsy, plasticy and crappy. 

I came across this http://www.the-sbox.com/ which seems to look good. No idea on quality though. 

Has as anyone used any solutions they would recommend? 

Nornal wall all sockets are not an option as it's for a planned island in the middle of the room! 

If you are looking for power on a kitchen island, if at all possible my recommendation would be to install sockets recessed into the side panels of the island rather than these contraptions. None of they are really that sound.

Edited by ryder72
spelling
  • Like 1

Just now, ryder72 said:

If you are looking for power on a kitchen island an if at all possible my recommendation would be to install sockets on the side of the island rather than contraptions. None of they are really that sound.

I have this with an IKEA island. It has a 25mm double plastic back box fitted into the end of the island and a slim face plate. Works really well and was dead easy to do with a length of conduit  from the point the wires come in to the island. 

I've also built one with a recessed box at the rear of a cupboard where sockets for stuff like fridges and dishwashers can be plugged in - much neater than just having them inside the cabinets and keeps them together. 

43 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I've been Googling options for pop up sockets for the kitchen. The ones I've seen at the sheds all seem to be the rising column type and frankly feel somewhat flimsy, plasticy and crappy. 

I came across this http://www.the-sbox.com/ which seems to look good. No idea on quality though. 

Has as anyone used any solutions they would recommend? 

Nornal wall all sockets are not an option as it's for a planned island in the middle of the room! 

Ok this is my opinion. You don't want one or need one. 

Why are normal sockets not an option, I have seen them placed on the ends of the island, I have also seen them inside a fake drawer front, so I would suggest having a bit more of a think before you buy a pop up,

my mate has a pop up and unless you are a super neat freak you will find it is always up and never gets pushed down

Horses for courses.

Sometimes I wonder whether cutting a hole in such a big bit of quartz was sensible but I'm very happy with the Sensio Kengo. The USB and Bluetooth speaker features are used daily, slightly less so the 3 pin sockets but when they are there's no fiddling around under the island overhang to plug something in with the kids getting tangled in cables when sat nor something sticking out the sides to catch yourself on.

the only thing I'd remark is that it can collect food detrius if you actually use your island for, like, cooking and eating. So keep it clean.

28 minutes ago, daiking said:

Horses for courses.

Sometimes I wonder whether cutting a hole in such a big bit of quartz was sensible but I'm very happy with the Sensio Kengo. The USB and Bluetooth speaker features are used daily, slightly less so the 3 pin sockets but when they are there's no fiddling around under the island overhang to plug something in with the kids getting tangled in cables when sat nor something sticking out the sides to catch yourself on.

the only thing I'd remark is that it can collect food detrius if you actually use your island for, like, cooking and eating. So keep it clean.

Same here.  Our basic sockets and USB power Sensio pop up is very solid-feeling, and has the advantage that you can put it down with things plugged in and the leads just come out of the little spring loaded flap, making it far neater than sockets on the side of the island with trailing leads that would inevitable end up being caught on something as someone walked by.

57 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Same here.  Our basic sockets and USB power Sensio pop up is very solid-feeling, and has the advantage that you can put it down with things plugged in and the leads just come out of the little spring loaded flap, making it far neater than sockets on the side of the island with trailing leads that would inevitable end up being caught on something as someone walked by.

This one? Linky

Edited by Barney12

I have the sensio socket as well and I think it's great. My socket is in the middle of the island so all power leads are impossible to snag on which with young kids who run about like lunatics is a major advantage.

Edited by Declan52

Yes, that's the one.  It just plugs into a 13A socket normally, or you could cut the plug off and wire it to a fused switched spur.  I fitted a single gang 13A socket inside our island carcase, accessible via a cut-out in the back of the drawer housing (it must be accessible under the regs).  This means I can just remove the top two drawers that are under the induction hob and both get at the socket and also get at the threaded ring that holds the pop-up socket in place, if I ever need to.

Edited by JSHarris

I wanted to avoid pop-ups - felt it was too complicated, requires space underneath and is another moving part that might go wrong. Ended up with this - excuse the mess, this is post a late Saturday lunch. Looks very subtle IMO and this is in an open plan kitchen / lounge / diner.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, volcane said:

I did similar on the last house and plan the same for the new place only I fitted the socket face upside down to allow the cables an easier run to the surface of the island.

That makes a tiny bit more sense.

For those thinking of putting sockets on the outside of an island, though, I'll just relate my experience in my workshop.  I fitted 6 outlets just under the top of my bench, set back slightly so the plugs don't stick out, and to protect them a bit from any swarf etc falling on them (there's a lathe and a milling machine on top of this bench).

I've lost count of the number of times I've accidentally snagged a cable and pulled a power tool off the bench.  I know that I've broken a Dremel, bent a few drill bits and smashed a grinder disc doing this. 

I'm a reasonably careful adult.  Just think of the consequences of trailing leads leading to things like kettles, coffee makers etc on top of the island if a small child was to tug on the cable, or even a dog or cat using the trailing lead as a plaything.......................

Edited by JSHarris

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I'm a reasonably careful adult.  Just think of the consequences of trailing leads leading to things like kettles, coffee makers etc on top of the island if a small child was to tug on the cable, or even a dog or cat using the trailing lead as a plaything.......................

Exactly why the idea wont work in our house. There is no way a trailing lead plugged into the side of an island is Cocker Spaniel proof!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barney12 said:

Exactly why the idea wont work in our house. There is no way a trailing lead plugged into the side of an island is Cocker Spaniel proof!

My personal view is that, even if it's fine for the residents (and pets etc) of the house right now, how safe would it be in the future? 

In our case, the power outlets will most probably be used to charge my other's half iPad (hence the reason for getting the one with USB outlets) so she can look at it whilst cooking, or for powering the little hand-held whizzer food mixer thing.  Both probably low risk in terms of safety hazard if they were pulled off the work surface (although a small child and the food mixer thing would be a damned dangerous combination).

The consequences of catching an iPad charging lead from a side-mounted socket and smashing it on the stone floor would be expensive and that was my main reason for fitting the pop-up.  It so happens that it makes a very good iPad prop as well, making it easier to see the screen when cooking.

Interesting on iPads.

I shelled out for one of those open and lean iPad cases, which seem a little pricey but I have found worthwhile.

eg not a good example but demonstrates ... I usually pay about £25

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JETech-Gold-Slim-Fit-Version-Protection/dp/B00F90P9R0

They also help the iPad bounce.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

The case on hers is one of those that form a stand, I've a feeling it's the genuine Apple one though, that cost an arm and a leg.  I didn't buy it - I use a cheap Sony Xperia Z tablet, bought "refurbished" from Morgan's, with a case from ebay, and loaded with a de-Googled completely open source version of Android, but then:

a) I'm a cheapskate

b) I like devices that can communicate with pretty much any device or network, accept µSD card storage, µUSB OTG sticks, don't use proprietary connectors and don't infringe on my privacy...........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

The case on hers is one of those that form a stand, I've a feeling it's the genuine Apple one though, that cost an arm and a leg.  I didn't buy it - I use a cheap Sony Xperia Z tablet, bought "refurbished" from Morgan's, with a case from ebay, and loaded with a de-Googled completely open source version of Android, but then:

a) I'm a cheapskate

b) I like devices that can communicate with pretty much any device or network, accept µSD card storage, µUSB OTG sticks, don't use proprietary connectors and don't infringe on my privacy...........

Mmm,

If you have the app store on it then it's not degoogled,

But I know what you mean,

You can't really completely degoogle most of the mainstream android devices, unless you 'hard root' , not soft root them.

Unless you go off field and get some of the, out there , Asian offerings,

Blackphone being one,

Blackview being another, 

Or get a Nexus and run pure *nix on it, 

To be honest, if I hadn't had the experience I've had with pulling tools off my bench by snagging the leads, the safety thing would never have entered my head.  The odd thing is, people who've seen my workbench setup invariably remark on what a good idea it is to have the sockets on the front, so the leads don't trail over the bench from the wall behind.  Every time I have to say that it was the worst idea I've ever had and that as soon as we move the sockets are coming off!

Edited by JSHarris

When building my workbench in my new workshop I had to decide on front or rear sockets and decided on rear sockets so that after using a drill or whatever I could push it to the back of the bench still plugged in without the lead trailing over the bench. I did however install a socket in the kickplate of the bench next to the floor in case I wanted tools in the centre of the workshop, I.e. Sawbench as leads over the bench then over the floor are just a trip hazard.

I have a small (compared to you guys) workshop/cave,

12'x8'

And have 15 d/skts in it :o

5 and 2 sfs behind workbench, 3 in front, 4 down one side, 3 on other side,

Plus a 16A commando, and a d/skt and 16a commando outside, 

I agree with the safety points of side sockets - in our case these are meant to be "temporary" supplies whilst cooking - e.g. for plugging in the hand mixer whilst using it, then unplug and put away. The more permanent gadgets (radio, chargers etc) are kept away from the island.

I also use a couple of the cupboard drawers as homes for some of the appliances - blender, toaster, juicer and the sort. Have wired 13A sockets inside the cupboard and we just pull the drawer out, use the appliance, then shut the drawer. No need to plug and unplug, no trailing leads and the mess is hidden away.