What to look for in a roof tile?

Adsibob

I'm retiling the roof of a 1930s  semi. I don't really know where to start in terms of what I'm looking for in a roofing tile. My only limitations are:

- a flat rectangular tile

- made of concrete (although I could deviate from this if there is a good reason to)

- grey in colour

Some of the roof will be visible up close as we have a porch over our front door that will have a matching roof which starts at about only 8' from the ground, so it needs to look good.

I need them delivered in early to mid March; I thought I had some time to play with but was slightly alarmed to see some tiles have 50-60 day lead times!

Any tips gratefully received.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Pictures of the roof?

If there aer not many broken tiles have you thought of re using?

See picture below. I did consider re-using but:

• the porch roof currently looks quite different to the pictured roof roof, and it seems virtually impossible to find tiles for the porch that would match the roof
  • we are doing quite a lot of of work to the roof (inserting 3 large loft lights on the front side and full width dormer on the back), so I thought it would be a good opportunity to replace the tiles as we're not planning on going to the expense of scaffolding etc in the future
  • over the last couple of years two tiles have fallen off and we've had to fix a leak as well, so not sure how I would go about assuring myself that the others won't fall off too or that there won't be more leaks in the future.

roof picture 1.png

+1   Means you probably need to stick with same type, size etc

Take one of the existing tiles to builders merchants. My local Travis Perkins aren't cheap (unless you have an account and get discount) but were helpful.  Recommended a tile that matched, got me samples, spotted a mistake in the quantity of half length tiles I had ordered etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 14:20, Dave Jones said:

Marley eternit interlocking look  good, resonable price.

So I ordered various Marley samples. They arrived pretty quickly and I found one that could work. I go to order it and the Marley rep tells me their lead time is 14 weeks!!!

That is just crazy. These are tiles which presumably take a day or two to manufacture. Are they manufacturing them in Australia and importing them by a raft boat????

13 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

So I ordered various Marley samples. They arrived pretty quickly and I found one that could work. I go to order it and the Marley rep tells me their lead time is 14 weeks!!!

That is just crazy. These are tiles which presumably take a day or two to manufacture. Are they manufacturing them in Australia and importing them by a raft boat????

Most tiles are like this just now, it's down to manufacturing shutting down during the first lockdown.

Get in touch with your roofing materials supplier and ask what is in stock.  It looks like those are plain tiles but I am no expert.  It would be quicker to tile using a larger format interlocking tile.  I assume you are going to re-felt and batten.  Actually the roof in the photo doesn't look too bad.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Actually the roof in the photo doesn't look too bad.

Yes, despite the odd leak I’m now wondering whether I should avoid retiling the roof. Found out today I need to underpin 4m worth of wall, so we are officially now over budget (blew my contingency on the sliding door and windows)! Need to cut back on something, but is skipping the roof a false economy given builder is already doing the loft conversion?

Edited by Adsibob

17 minutes ago, keith65 said:

If you are putting in a dormer and 3 roof lights you should have more than enough to cover your porch and relay the roof even with broken tiles when stripping.

True, but at what cost in the future.

Obviously these guys have a vested interest in selling new tiles, but even so, some of this must be true:

https://www.wienerberger.co.uk/tips-and-advice/roofing/what-are-the-risks-of-using-reclaimed-roof-tiles.html

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would update this thread with the latest. We now know exactly what we want in an ideal world: plain clay tile (265mm x 165mm) in anthracite grey. This will tessellate with my attached neighbour's rough as that is the size of his clay tiles, and it is also the colour we want. However, we are not living in an ideal world. Lead times for this tile, regardless of manufacturer, is 16 weeks plus. If I wait for that, my builder will probably kill me. I've looked at concrete alternatives, but as we are having a tiled roof over our porch we will see the tiles up close everytime we walk into the house through the front door and concrete tiles up close just don't look as nice. I don't like their roughness, especially on the edges. I also understand that the colour on concrete tiles can eventually fade and they absorb more water.

Looking at my contract I realise I had agreed with the builder that he would lay interlocking tiles, so I imagine if I now ask him to buy and lay plain tiles he will charge me more as the whole point of interlocking is that they will make life easier for him.

My question is, if I get a Redland Fontanelle Interlocking Plain Clay tile, which is both more readily available and will match the spec agreed with the builder, will he be able to tessellate it with the plain tiles of my neighbour? Here is a diagram of the Redland Fontanelle:

image.png.e2f2212cb03b83a29491de22172f2aff.png

I'm assuming the answer to my question is a big NO, but wondering if there is a way for this to join up with my neighbour's 265mm x 165mm plain tiles fairly seamlessly so I can avoid the issue identified by @joe90 as well as keeping it more seamless for aesthetic reasons.

If there isn't, then I might revisit the idea of reusing existing tiles that was suggested by @keith65, even though I hate their colour, they must be at least 40 years old.

I think I have answered my own question: the thing to look for in a roof tile is short lead times! Crazy situation in the UK right now. Everyone seems out of stock.

If anybody knows of a supplier than can supply a clay interlocking roof tile in Sandtoft's Antique Grey or Slate Engobe (or another manufacturer's equivalent colour) in less than 12 weeks, please let me know. I never anticipated it would take 12-20 weeks, which is what all suppliers are telling me, to get roof tiles.

5 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

there is massive shortage doesnt really matter which retailer you  try they all buy from the same supplier.

I think you are right @Dave Jones. Though it may be possible to find shorter lead times if rather than the usual big names, I go small. To that end, can anyone think of small, preferably but not necessarily British, manufacturers that might not be on the radar of most roofers and builders. 

Alternatively, would it be crazy to import 140 sq metres of clay tiles from somewhere like asia? Surely the answer is: yes that would be crazy!

Edited by Adsibob