Meter Readings Panic and Electricity Costs

canalsiderenovation

33 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Re your inconsistent immersion usage.  Has the legonella cycle come on during the weekend (just turn it off).  Have you used more or less DHW without really realising it.

No we had that error a few weeks ago that it hasn't been done so to my knowledge it isn't working.

And no yesterday there was no long showers hair washing or baths in complete contrast to the weekend which is what makes it even more strange.

I need to see if the legionnaire cycle has come on when I can interpret the manual on where the setting is for this and I did see a thread about not many people using this as you suggest @joe90@Joe

33 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

No.  I am just careful. I use minimum lighting, no TV, sensible use of washing machine, never use the tumble dryer, cheap laptop that only uses 8W when on.

And it is kWh.

Ah I see. I do think our general usage is low then with that in mind.

Edited by canalsiderenovation

1 hour ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Averaging out our usage over 4 days just for the heat pump/immersion seems to come in at 32.5 kWh which is still more than others but recognise we don't have our EWI. Do you have a ASHP @Thedreamer as your usage seems to be far lower.

It has been a lot warmer in the last few days so that will have made a difference, but I reckon it is close to what I would expect.

1 hour ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Confused because I haven't actually changed anything since yesterday so I don't know why the immersion has used more in one 24 hour period than a 72 hour period over the weekend when we had baths etc. Any ideas anyone @AliG?

Thanks for having faith I would have an answer ?. I think it is probably be a legionella cycle as @SteamyTea suggests. Unless there is some kind of boost programmed in so that if you use hot water and the ASHP will take a while to warm it back up or it falls below a certain temp then the immersion kicks in?

41 minutes ago, AliG said:

Thanks for having faith I would have an answer ?. I think it is probably be a legionella cycle as @SteamyTea suggests. Unless there is some kind of boost programmed in so that if you use hot water and the ASHP will take a while to warm it back up or it falls below a certain temp then the immersion kicks in?

I've no idea @AliG I was going to check the legionella cycle but there is nothing I can see in the manual that makes reference to this at all unless it's disguised as something else amongst all the waffle.

Something funny is going on with the immersion.

5kWh is enough to heat 100L of water from 6C to 50C.If the ASHP is heating the water this seems like a very high usage for the immersion.

However, if the immersion is coming on every day to heat the tank from 50-60C then this would use 3kWh a day assuming a 250L tank.

Could the tank thermostat be set at 60C whereas the ASHP output is set at 50C?

Edited by AliG

20 minutes ago, AliG said:

Could the tank thermostat be set at 60C whereas the ASHP output is set at 50C?

Erm how do I check this? It does seem odd we used 6kWh in 3 days over the weekend and then 8kWh between yesterday afternoon and this afternoon.

Our tank is around 380 litre as I recall, the large Gledhill.

In perfect timing just went to look at ASHP and there is the error code below. Manual indicates 919 Error the set temperature for disinfection operation is not reached, or, after reaching, the temperature fails to continue for the requested time.

I guess this answers the question re the legionella cycle then so the problem must like elsewhere.

Edit - I have however found the disenfectent setting and it was set to Tuesday at 60 degrees for 10 mins. I've now programmed this to 'do not use' so it may have come on at some point earlier and tried to come on again.

IMG_20210119_194734.thumb.jpg.259bd98b754061f2638c8e87e01dbefb.jpg

Do you need the water to be 55deg?

like many others I set mine to the high 40’s 

I dislike paying to heat water then adding excessive cold water to mix to a desired temp.

maybe ask the manufacturer a question about the Legionella, invade it’s another parameter hidden away in engineer mode 

1 minute ago, TonyT said:

Do you need the water to be 55deg?

like many others I set mine to the high 40’s 

I dislike paying to heat water then adding excessive cold water to mix to a desired temp.

maybe ask the manufacturer a question about the Legionella, invade it’s another parameter hidden away in engineer mode 

No - I'll adjust the temperature to say 48 degrees.

I found the legionella setting it was down as disenfectent and I've now set it to do not use.

Your hot water setting on the ASHP is 48C from an earlier post.

Is there something that looks like a thermostat on the side of the hot water tank. It is a little grey box with a circle you can turn to change the temperature on ours.

If this is set much higher than 48C I wonder if the immersion kicks in to finish off heating up the wate, either that or as you posted it keeps trying to heat to 60C and not getting there 

image.png.f3485e463303993237e8380072c4b45a.png

Edited by AliG

13 minutes ago, AliG said:

Your hot water setting on the ASHP is 48C from an earlier post.

Is there something that looks like a thermostat on the side of the hot water tank. It is a little grey box with a circle you can turn to change the temperature on ours.

If this is set much higher than 48C I wonder if the immersion kicks in to finish off heating up the wate, either that or as you posted it keeps trying to heat to 60C and not getting there 

image.png.f3485e463303993237e8380072c4b45a.png

That pic is the main screen.

That is what is on the main screen, which I've just checked again and this is what is on the main screen.

IMG_20210119_204300.thumb.jpg.e38ec0b620d3786cbd35da124c0bf577.jpg

There is then the additional option under advanced settings under the *302 menu to change the heat pump DHW max temp which was set at 55 degrees which I've also reduced now to 46 to match the home screen. Seems there was some conflict there.

4 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Do you have a ASHP @Thedreamer as your usage seems to be far lower.

Yes, it's a lot smaller than the external ones but it only does the hot water for a 260 litre tank.

Because our floor is insulated suspended timber floor, I didn't feel underflooring heating was necessary. 

46C is probably a bit cold. You’ll lose a couple of degrees by the time it gets to the taps.

The thing to understand though is what is driving the immersion. That’s your unexpected energy use at this point not the ASHP I would say.

The immersion will be set into the side of the tank with a wire coming out of it. It might be wired into the ASHP due to the legionella cycle. Simply switching that off may sorry things out.

Again don’t change too many things at once as it will be difficult to tell what the problem was.

On 15/01/2021 at 17:41, canalsiderenovation said:

I'm going to try 19 and see how we get on. 22 degrees was nice for us but I would have had it warmer so I'm not sure how we are going to find 19 degrees.

I’ve been considering an ASHP (I have 3 recent quotes) but having read your thread and numerous other similar threads on a heat pump forum I’m a bit put off by the potential for large running costs and the relative complexity. 

With your temperature at 19 degrees that’s probably the difference between feeling completely comfortable in a tee shirt vs needing to wear something a bit thicker when sitting around. IMO one of the best inventions known to (wo)man is the heated throw. Totally luxurious when it’s a bit chilly indoors in the months when the heating isn’t on, and also great in winter when you want a bit more warmth. Unfortunately my rescue dog who until 2 months ago hadn’t even been in a house has taken a great liking to mine and has claimed it as his own ??

46C is probably a bit cold. You’ll lose a couple of degrees by the time it gets to the taps.

The thing to understand though is what is driving the immersion. That’s your unexpected energy use at this point not the ASHP I would say.

The immersion will be set into the side of the tank with a wire coming out of it. It might be wired into the ASHP due to the legionella cycle. Simply switching that off may sorry things out.

Again don’t change too many things at once as it will be difficult to tell what the problem was.

Hmm, ok I'll perhaps up it to 48 then.

I can't see any wire, just this (excuse the dust)IMG_20210119_203721.thumb.jpg.274810e917abe36daa461f11710548dd.jpg

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I remember when I set up my ASHP I found it wanted to only heat the DHW part way with the ASHP then turn on the immersion heater.  It took quite a lot of settings to disable that and heat it just with the ASHP.

We will have the solar pv immersion solic200 and running on Thursday so I presume I'll need to look into appropriate settings for this then too.