Our plumbing saga.... Advice please.

canalsiderenovation

Look carefully, I bet there is a fine jet of water spraying from somewhere around the white nut and that just happens to be where it lands.  That brass bit will be full of water all the time and not affected by the blue tap.

It may be as simple as the white nut is not even tight?

It does seem to dismiss his statement that he tested it.

If it were me I would turn blue tap off again (90’), undo white nut (some water will escape so towel underneath), check filter is clean (little blue thing in your first photo from machine instructions). There is a rubber washer (may be part of the filter) make sure this has no damage to it. I like to put just a smear of Vaseline or cooking oil (very little) onto both sides of that rubber washer and tighten by hand (hard). Turn it back on and see if any leaks appear . Let us know.

• Like 1

if its not coming from the dishwasher pipe, as long as the leak is extremely slow, in the past i've left them, put something under it to catch anything, and limescale will seal anything up after a few days. If its coming from the dishwasher supply pipe though, definitely what @joe90 said, and obviously make sure there is actually a rubber seal in there too as there should be.

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

Does that hot water tap connector block thing not have a mounting bracket, I cannot believe it just hangs on the weight of the pipes. 

And the waste pipe is that not running up hill

why is the waste pipe pipe in the cupboard and not underneath it. 

All looks a bit crap to be honest. 

I was hoping someone else with the same tap would post a picture of how it should be done?

I did a bit of google searching as well

it looks as though the quooker connection thing is fairly heavy, so it is installed on a short stub of copper with pipe clips close by to keep it all tight and neat, your guy has first cut a T in to feed the dishwasher this has put the quooker connection further from the feed pipe so putting more pressure on the junction, hence his bodgy bit of pipe to prop it up. 

I would live with it over Christmas and get someone to yank it all out and plan it properly in the new year. 

The long and short of this IMO is that, albeit you can try lots of the helpful advice here and might get a fix. You're not going to have the confidence regardless that its all ok, or worse still you don't notice something that gets changed or adjusted during this process and it causes a leak and damages something during the night or similar. 

For your own  peace of mind, find a good plumber (not from any of these online places!). Get someone reliable from local word of mouth and see how you go. 

• Like 1

So an update. The plumber came after I messaged him asking about him testing it as it was off and explained when I turned it on it was dripping although I wasn't sure where from.

He tightened up the parts where the copper is, reset the dishwasher and success it's working.

Re the Quooker, I haven't tackled the crap  installation and am a bit unsure how to other than to say it's a crap installation because he is going to say it works! But to answer some questions. 

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

The more I look at that waste pipe the more it offends me. 

Do your kitchen units not have a void underneath them and a kick panel

waste should run along the floor, low and come up in the cupboard, not run through the cupboard taking up storage space. 

Yes our kitchen units have a plinth and when I took it off you could see pipes.

There is a lot of pipes from the Quooker and Cube 

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Tell me that dog rough, ragged hole was already there?

I actually can't remember. I don't recall it being there but can't say for sure as it was ex display but I can't see the showroom having it like that.

We have had a final invoice from the plumber of around £4500 which is the final invoice for the ASHP commissioning/final fitting and all plumbing. He has held off including a final £600 in light of a snagging list which I mentioned and will return the first week in January.

So far we have:

Quooker tap - the hose doesn't pull out and pressure is poor for filtered water. I think both is down to the fitting. Do we add this to our snagging? If he says this is the equipment then it's under warranty so we could get Quooker our but if they come out and find it's not the equipment and it's the crap installation (likely) they will charge £150 so I could give the plumber the choice but if Quooker then charge I'll bill the plumber.

Ensuite toilet - isn't taking away tissue and ahem, other bodily solids. Probably needs adjusting cistern/levels.

Ensuite damaged cabinet and wonky fitting - will insist the fitting is done again and get a quote from Magic Man to repair.

Shower flipper hasn't been fitted properly.

Couple of issues I just want to check with ASHP but more questions as oppose to snags.

Do you think it's wise to pay the bill as it is and then hold back the final £600 as he suggests until we are content.

3 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Quooker tap - the hose doesn't pull out and pressure is poor for filtered water. I think both is down to the fitting. Do we add this to our snagging? If he says this is the equipment then it's under warranty so we could get Quooker our but if they come out and find it's not the equipment and it's the crap installation (likely) they will charge £150 so I could give the plumber the choice but if Quooker then charge I'll bill the plumber.

It won't be a faulty item, it will be fitting.

I have not seen one of these in the flesh, but for the hose to pull out of the tap, an equal amount of hose must go up into the fitting under the sink.

Am i right saying that hose with a "bulb" on it is the hose in question?

Gently pull the house out of the tap, I am willing to bet if you look under the sink unit you will see that hose with a bulb rising up as you pull the tap hose down, and I am also willing to bet due to the shambolic install, there is not enough free hose, or it is jaming on something which is restricting its travel.

Once you see what is jaming on what, you can show him what needs to be changed.

You shouldn't be charged for snagging.

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No we aren't.

@ProDave yes I think the install is shambolic which I've said in not so many words before but he has seemed reluctant to rectify it where if I go done the lines of 'if you're confident it isn't an issue with your install but an problem with the equipment then I'll get Quooker our but if they say it's your installation and we have to pay them then I'll be deducting it off the £600 we owe you'.

@joe90 is correct our bill is £5100 but he has deducted £600 until the snagging is done.

Edited by canalsiderenovation

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It won't be a faulty item, it will be fitting.

I have not seen one of these in the flesh, but for the hose to pull out of the tap, an equal amount of hose must go up into the fitting under the sink.

Am i right saying that hose with a "bulb" on it is the hose in question?

Gently pull the house out of the tap, I am willing to bet if you look under the sink unit you will see that hose with a bulb rising up as you pull the tap hose down, and I am also willing to bet due to the shambolic install, there is not enough free hose, or it is jaming on something which is restricting its travel.

Once you see what is jaming on what, you can show him what needs to be changed.

I second this... you can see why it won’t reach from your earlier photos. The flexi pipe to the bulb is coming forward out of the unit before heading to the back of the cupboard and up to the tap... needs completely rerouting. 

2 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

I second this... you can see why it won’t reach from your earlier photos. The flexi pipe to the bulb is coming forward out of the unit before heading to the back of the cupboard and up to the tap... needs completely rerouting. 

I'll have look tomorrow and report back. I can then put this into my email to him. I guess if he is that confident in his work he will let me get Quooker out, if he isn't he will reinstall it.

As yet I've not paid the £4500 bill.

Not knowing anything about this kind of thing, there would be 3 key points that I can see that I don’t like... here is my high text graphic to show where I’m taking about

1. These flexis should be in copper. Just lazy. Or if they need to be flexis then fit ones the right length.

2. The white pipe I assume is to the drinking water? Why is the pipe not cut to length?

3. I guess this is the pipe to the tap. It needs planning and re-routing.

9B249533-9A11-4D4E-9B64-A13393207E89.jpeg

Edited by Gav_P
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Quooker tap - the hose doesn't pull out

Here is the tap installation video https://youtu.be/_SaOlYI8rJo

The black and silver hose from the bulb that @ProDave mentions need to be able to rise and fall without snagging. Both of the attached hoses don't looked routed without obstruction. The black one appears to be close to the copper pipework/regulator at the back of the cupboard and  the silver braided one would perhaps be better routed over the top of the other plumbing pipes so it can come up without getting caught under the other pipes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Good luck! He sounds like a complete plank! ??

He's not been out favourite tradesman to be honest and actually generally comes recommended. But then that's because it's so difficult to get decent plumbers here and he probably is the best of a bad bunch, which in essence is what our builder said to us recently, it doesn't actually mean he is any good!

The plus is that all our tradesmen do live within 5 miles of one another/us and in some respects this has worked well as they know each other and have worked well to coordinate and deal with things like solar, ASHP etc and if there are any issues I know where they all live and as we are a small area any issues will become known very quickly and reputation is valuable so I'm hoping once we have sorted any snags things will be fine.

I maintain through this build tradesman have had an attitude of 'they are two women what can we get away with' which I know is something which was mentioned on a thread by @LSB

Edited by canalsiderenovation