Cost of Electricity

Now we have our heat pump commissioned (our solar is being connected first week in Jan with the Solic200 to divert excess to the hot water).

I just now to figure out what we should do with our electricity tarrif. As we are both pretty much in all the time now with work abandoning offices in favour of home working and our temps all set at a cosy 22 degrees I need to look at making sure we are paying as less as we can for our electricity. We are with the same company we were a year ago and are currently paying 14.594 p/kWh and 13.780p a day standing charge which after some comparisons seems to be really competitive and quotes I've had seem to bring up savings of less than £50 a year and with a company with poor service.

Our ASHP spec gives figures of 19693.0 kWh per year space heating and water heating 2998.0 kWh per year.

Rachel

Edited by canalsiderenovation

As you are in all day, and assuming that you need power then, try comparing the very lowest tariff you can find with a standard E7 one.

The day rate for E7 can be quite painful, but for a lot of the year you will be reducing that with the PV, and when the PV is at its worst, you may find that the heavy heating load can be satisfied with just night time usage.

It is all a juggling game and without high quality data it is impossible to suggest anything more than generalisation.

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Are you sure that heating estimate is right?  That's over 10 times my heating usage.  Lets hope the real world figures come out lower.

That's what the EPC guy came up with who came a week ago but he was a bit useless (I guess that's what you get for paying £45 for an EPC) and not the heat pump design spec which I said in my first post. Strangely I've just checked the design for the heat pump and the spec and gives different figures.

IMG_20201219_150316.thumb.jpg.da5e3fc47010b342ad8c0a81f0521b6e.jpg

14 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

As you are in all day, and assuming that you need power then, try comparing the very lowest tariff you can find with a standard E7 one.

The day rate for E7 can be quite painful, but for a lot of the year you will be reducing that with the PV, and when the PV is at its worst, you may find that the heavy heating load can be satisfied with just night time usage.

It is all a juggling game and without high quality data it is impossible to suggest anything more than generalisation.

A quick look and Symbio has an Economy 7 option which is 12.980 p/kWh for both E7 and normal rate versus our current 14.594p/kWh but has a large standing charge of 21.100 versus our current 13.780.

39 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

arent you too warm at 22C? I struggle with anything above 19.1C in my bungalow, end up getting too warm.

Comfort is a very personal thing and Wendy would not be at all happy at 19C. The minimum we have our heating at is 23C. Some people are happy to wear outdoor clothes, such as jumpers, inside in the winter but we prefer to wear T shirts in doors. As I said, for most comfort set the thermostat to what you find most comfortable.

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Comfort is a very personal thing and Wendy would not be at all happy at 19C. The minimum we have our heating at is 23C. Some people are happy to wear outdoor clothes, such as jumpers, inside in the winter but we prefer to wear T shirts in doors. As I said, for most comfort set the thermostat to what you find most comfortable.

Being able to wear a T shirts and shorts in the middle of winter in my house is a goal that keeps me going! lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

arent you too warm at 22C? I struggle with anything above 19.1C in my bungalow, end up getting too warm.

No! We are in the process of moving back in now although have a long snagging list.

I'm still trying to get my head around all 11 of these controls which are all at 22 degrees but what I can't understand is some floors are completely cold even though the thermostat says 22 degrees but perhaps it is sensing the overall temperature.....

16084135464763523006847813654945.jpg

I assume that 22 degree reading is the "set point"  If so all the rooms that have reached that temperature will have switched off and the floors cooled down.  The rooms that have not yet reached 22 degrees will still be warming up and the floor will feel warm.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I assume that 22 degree reading is the "set point"  If so all the rooms that have reached that temperature will have switched off and the floors cooled down.  The rooms that have not yet reached 22 degrees will still be warming up and the floor will feel warm.

Well one room is saying 22 degrees but it's bloody cold when I go in there (small bathroom). It's set to 'air sensor using built in sensor' and we have an manual mode where it's set to 22 degrees for all rooms.

I should say initially we had the auto setting where each day had 6 programmes with times but since that picture was taken I have take it off the auto and manually set every one to 22 degrees.

3 hours ago, Vijay said:

Being able to wear a T shirts and shorts in the middle of winter in my house is a goal that keeps me going! lol

And running about in bare feet, saves a fortune on slippers which offsets the time you may be extravagent with the heating. 

15 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Well one room is saying 22 degrees but it's bloody cold when I go in there (small bathroom). It's set to 'air sensor using built in sensor' and we have an manual mode where it's set to 22 degrees for all rooms.

Give it a bit more time yet.

Then go around with a handheld thermometer and see what the actual temperature is in each room.  That will start to tell you if you have issues.  Let us know what you find.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Give it a bit more time yet.

Then go around with a handheld thermometer and see what the actual temperature is in each room.  That will start to tell you if you have issues.  Let us know what you find.

Hmm handheld thermometer.... Haven't got one I'm sure our neighbours have though will ask tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

And running about in bare feet, saves a fortune on slippers which offsets the time you may be extravagent with the heating. 

Our hall is toasty, probably as our manifold is in there and it's the main point but some rooms are noticeably different in temperature. What I don't get is the kitchen says 22 degrees and the floor is warm, the small bathroom says 22 degrees and it's really cold, no warmth in floors at all.

What I am trying to establish is which rooms are meeting their temperature and the floor heating has turned off.  Which have still to reach their temperature and the heating is on.

Then there are the other possibilities.  The room has not met it's temperature but the floor is cold.  The room is above it's set temperature and the floor is still warm.

You would not be the first to have the wrong thermostat connected to the wrong room.

go get that handheld thermometer.......

So those are Emmeti CS17 stats ... if they are calling for heat then a little flame appears top right on the screen. 

There is a way to get them to show the room temperature - that’s the set temperature currently. 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So those are Emmeti CS17 stats ... if they are calling for heat then a little flame appears top right on the screen. 

There is a way to get them to show the room temperature - that’s the set temperature currently. 

Yep they are I have their page instruction guide here and have programmed them all manual rather than the auto setting. The room temperature is showing as 22 degrees and if I whack it up then the flame appears I'm just not convinced all rooms are at 22 degrees when some floors are warm and some are completely cold and the rooms feel cold. Need a thermometer 

6 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Need a thermometer 

I have a few of these which I use around the house, not sure how accurate but cheap. I find them good as UFH is a completely different animal to radiators so it’s difficult to “feel” heat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Electronic-External-Thermometer-Body-Room-Food-Cooking-Display-Aquarium

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I have a few of these which I use around the house, not sure how accurate but cheap. I find them good as UFH is a completely different animal to radiators so it’s difficult to “feel” heat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Electronic-External-Thermometer-Body-Room-Food-Cooking-Display-Aquarium

Thank you I'll get one if the neighbour hasn't got one.

28 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What I am trying to establish is which rooms are meeting their temperature and the floor heating has turned off.  Which have still to reach their temperature and the heating is on.

Then there are the other possibilities.  The room has not met it's temperature but the floor is cold.  The room is above it's set temperature and the floor is still warm.

You would not be the first to have the wrong thermostat connected to the wrong room.

go get that handheld thermometer.......

For the small bathroom that feels cold I've noticed if I do raise the temperature the flame comes on so that's working. I'll get that thermometer. It's just getting used to this different system I guess I just though with every room being set to 22 degrees it would feel the same!

10 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Well one room is saying 22 degrees but it's bloody cold when I go in there (small bathroom).

Our house is heated by the towel rails in the bathrooms so the bathrooms are a bit warmer, 24C, than the rest of the house. You might feel more comfortable increasing the bathroom temperature by a degree or two.