Cost of Electricity

41 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

What I have noticed is if any solar is going to the immersion (you know when it's working as the Solic lights up green) so for today for example as it's sunny, the meter on the immersion goes up

As @dpmiller says, maybe the meter is the wrong way around.

But your solar diversion could also be part responsible for your inconsistent usage.

If your tank is in a ready to heat state during the day, solar will probably go into it, if that same state is at night, then the HP will take over.

Can you set things up so that the HP will only heat the water when it is dark, easy this time of year, not so easy in summer, but your solar should do most of the work then.

21 minutes ago, Temp said:

Did you manage to get a thermometer to check your room stats are reading correctly? Enough of us have had issues with stats to make them essential.

Personally I like something like this because the thermocouple isn't encapsulated so it responds reasonably quickly to temperature changes. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TM-902C-Digital-K-Type-Thermometer-Sensor-Thermocouple-Probe-Detector/353269567728?hash=item524081d0f0:g:RCQAAOSwf1RefYrd

I didn't no. I will get one. How do I use it if we have LVT flooring?

14 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

As @dpmiller says, maybe the meter is the wrong way around.

But your solar diversion could also be part responsible for your inconsistent usage.

If your tank is in a ready to heat state during the day, solar will probably go into it, if that same state is at night, then the HP will take over.

Can you set things up so that the HP will only heat the water when it is dark, easy this time of year, not so easy in summer, but your solar should do most of the work then.

We have the ASHP to heat the water on a schedule. It only comes on for  a set period around tea time. We have found that having it on for a few hours around tea time/early evening means we have plenty of hot water to see us through. E.g. This was one morning after the hot water had been off almost 10 hours (after we had had showers the night before).

IMG_20210211_083510.thumb.jpg.69a2f143796016960b110ba05dee8b81.jpg

By lunchtime it had dropped a bit.

IMG_20210211_130202.thumb.jpg.583c9ddccc4cdf0091cb17e9dc923c6d.jpg

So, what I'm saying is we don't have the hot water consistently heated by the heat pump it's timed.

13 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

You sure someone isn't making a sneaky brew without asking if you want one too? ?

Is the burst of 3kW a regular occurence? If so its time to start turning some circuits off and narrowing it down.

The Current Cost monitor is now at 880-900w and pretty steady. We have the Quooker tap and it didn't really make much difference when my other half made me a drink.

Just now, canalsiderenovation said:

The Current Cost monitor is now at 880-900w and pretty steady. We have the Quooker tap and it didn't really make much difference when my other half made me a drink.

Hang on, the quooker will intermittently heat the water in its tank, have you ruled this out of the equation?

2 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Wouldn't this be included in our 'other' electricity units, e.g. the 60 units this past week that weren't on the Heat Pump?

Of course, sorry you did say you had a seperate meter for the HP.

Does the HP report any energy usage, just in case the meter is wrong for any reason? Or does the uptake on the HP meter match that on the main meter?

10 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Of course, sorry you did say you had a seperate meter for the HP.

Does the HP report any energy usage, just in case the meter is wrong for any reason? Or does the uptake on the HP meter match that on the main meter?

Sort of (there is a setting but the installation company said this wasn't entirely accurate). It does give me a daily figure but this is obviously based on a 24 hour period each day, where as I check the HP meter and the main meter reading each day at the same time (rather than from midnight to midnight which is what the Samsung gives as the usage each day) and am able to take off the HP meter reading to give our 'other' use. I did look on the Samsung settings and from last Friday (that would be from midnight last Friday to the time now) it is showing on the Heat Pump itself as 435 units where I did it from last Friday lunchtime to this Friday lunchtime and got 390 units.

4 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Sort of (there is a setting but the installation company said this wasn't entirely accurate). It does give me a daily figure but this is obviously based on a 24 hour period each day, where as I check the HP meter and the main meter reading each day at the same time (rather than from midnight to midnight which is what the Samsung gives as the usage each day) and am able to take off the HP meter reading to give our 'other' use. I did look on the Samsung settings and from last Friday (that would be from midnight last Friday to the time now) it is showing on the Heat Pump itself as 435 units where I did it from last Friday lunchtime to this Friday lunchtime and got 390 units.

So sounds like your meters are accurate. 60kWh over a week for other items sounds reasonable. I'm certainly no expert on heat pumps, but that does seem like a lot of energy for a week!

Have you spoken to the installer about this, do they agree its not right? Maybe give samsung a ring direct? Never know could be some firmware upgrade to fix a problem.

1 minute ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Have you spoken to the installer about this, do they agree its not right? Maybe give samsung a ring direct? Never know could be some firmware upgrade to fix a problem.

Yep they were quite dismissive. With the help of @Ultima357 who has the same heat pump I've been through all the settings etc and am now pretty confident it's settings are right. Before we had these really poor temperatures it seemed to be performing pretty well. I am just hoping when we have our EWI this is going to make a lot of difference but it's good to keep monitoring it especially during these sorts of temperatures. By contrast the week from 30/01 to 05/02 we used only 257 of units for the heat pump in a week.

It's the heat pump. The cost current shot up to 3.23 turned off the HP at the fuse and it dropped to 420w.

When the reading on the cost current was 580w I turned off the HP and the meter dropped to 450w so when the HP calls for heat that seems to account for the increase. I will over the course of the week be able to see what happens when we use larger appliances.

This probably isn't your unit, though might be. Looking at the figures the COP drops off a cliff at sub zero temperatures, how much depends on your flow temperature:

RC090 RC160
Power Supply Phase Single Single
Volts 220 - 240 220 - 240
Hertz 50 50
Nominal Condition Air 7°C Flow 30/35°C Heating Output (kW) 9 16
Electrical Input (kW) 2.09 3.81
COP 4.3 4.2
Performance Air 7°C Flow 40/45°C Heating Output (kW) 8.4 15.1
Electrical Input (kW) 2.51 4.58
COP 3.35 3.3
Performance Air -7°C Flow 30/35°C Heating Output (kW) 7.54 12.28
Electrical Input (kW) 3.35 5.64
COP 2.25 2.18
Performance Air -7°C Flow 40/45°C Heating Output (kW) 7.59 12.01
Electrical Input (kW) 3.86 6.08
COP 1.97 1.98
Water Slide Heat Exchanger Brazed Plate Heat Exchanger
Required Water Press (bar) 2.8 2.8
Nominal Water Flow Rate (l/min) 20 30
Minimum Water Volume (l) 20 20
Pressure Drop at Heat Ex (kPa) 10 15
Pipe Connection 1" Male 1" Male

5 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

It's the heat pump. The cost current shot up to 3.23 turned off the HP at the fuse and it dropped to 420w.

When the reading on the cost current was 580w I turned off the HP and the meter dropped to 450w so when the HP calls for heat that seems to account for the increase. I will over the course of the week be able to see what happens when we use larger appliances.

130w just for it sitting doing nothing seems an awful lot?!

Is your solar PV connected up yet?