Appliance Shortage

Pm1987

Has anyone else noticed a severe lack of appliance in stock at the moment ? 

Im currently after some Bosch ovens which I ordered and got a reply a few days ago stating 7 - 10 weeks delivery. Called a few other retailer and was told the same thing.

Ordered a dishwasher which was due last week, they emailed to say sorry delivery moved to mid Oct, then got another email saying sorry moved to start of Nov. Cancelled order and found someone else who had it in stock.

Is this country wide or unfortunately the appliances I'm picking ?

We had no trouble getting a replacement washing machine within a few working days from starting, though in the end the one we got was close enough rather than the top choice because of what was in stock with our preferred vendor.

I expect that looming Brexit logistics may be messing with warehouse space etc already, and indeed I hope our wobbling dishwasher doesn't conk out until well past 1st Jan so that some supply chain kinks have been sorted out.  I am still tempted to buy early to avoid that risk...

Rgds

Damon

22 minutes ago, DamonHD said:

I expect that looming Brexit logistics may be messing with warehouse space

Shall just wait till New Year then,, will have the whole world of choice, and tariff free too.  I have now decided to embrace the winning side.  Keeping friendly with my Brexiteer neighbour as he has guns, one never knows.

• Haha 1

Yes, I'm finding nearly all the appliances I shortlisted for consideration are showing stock issues - and these are all fairly run-of-the-mill models and so likely normally manufactured in bulk and readily available. I'm sure the prices have gone up since I was first looking (pre/early lockdown) too.

Yes most manufacturers are showing shortages but Bosch/Neff/Siemens are the worst hit. All blaming covid but I suspect there is more to it than that. Appliance manufacturers whose  products use fewer Asian products are far less affected than those source from Asia.

Brexit will likely make it worse.

52 minutes ago, Temp said:

They even delivered on a Sunday.

I was unwilling to pay the extra for that, and no slots free on a Monday, may day off.

Hopefully they will turn up on Wednesday before I go to work, but I think they use Hermes.

Friday 21 August 2020 by Neil Tollfree

Amazon offers option to pre-report lost parcel if delivery assigned to Hermes

Amazon will now offer customers the chance to pre-report a lost parcel if the delivery has been assigned to Hermes.

“If your delivery is assigned to Hermes, then it is pretty much certain that package will end up left up a tree, under a motorway flyover, or on Ebay,” explained Amazon representative Simon Williams.

“So, from Monday, as soon as a delivery is assigned to Hermes, customers will have the option to immediately report the parcel as missing and request a replacement or refund.

“There will be no need to wait for the inevitable ‘We’ve left your parcel in a bin in an industrial park six miles away’ card to come through your letterbox, everyone will just assume that, because it’s Hermes, that’s going to happen anyway.”

Amazon customer Mark Hammond approved of the plan.

“Really good idea. Will save a lot of time,” he said.

“Only the other day, I got a card through my letterbox from Hermes saying that as no-one was in, they’d left my parcel on my doorstep in a parallel dimension.

“So, then I had to spend the rest of the week reading up on trans-dimensional physics and creating a portal to the parallel dimension and when I finally went through the portal, I found they’d left the parcel in a pile of dog-shit and then piled more dog-shit on top of it.

“I wouldn’t have minded, but I was in all day.”

Hermes responded to Amazon’s move saying ‘f**k off, we’re Hermes, we don’t give a shit. C**ts.”

• Haha 1

Our Hermes delivery guy is outstanding. Goes above and beyond.

I've read their basic is about £14K and they're treated like sh!t. 

Keep meaning to buy him a crate but a monetary "drink" I'm guessing would be better received. 

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've read their basic is about £14K

Really, more than most working people in Penzance, Camborne and Redruth probably earn.

Cornwal Wages.jpg

See how the colours don't match when housing costs are taken into account.

Cornwall Housing Costs.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd refresh this thread, as more than a year on and I think the situation might be even worse.

When I was starting to order my kitchen appliances at the end of September 2021, I had to juggle a lot of options and make a few compromises to be able to secure all my appliances in time for our installation scheduled in December. The suppliers have promised I will get everything I ordered by then, with one exception: an AEG induction hob. No matter what supplier I asked, AEG induction hobs are out of stock with no firm dates for re-stocking from AEG. My alternative was to spend £600 more and get a Siemens or go with a smaller hob. Neither seemed appealing so I thought I'd take a chance an order the AEG. It's been almost a month since I ordered it and still no news from the supplier on dates. I'm starting to wonder if I will have to delay the installation of my worktops...

Anyone else finding issues getting AEG appliances? How did you solve it?

9 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Just thought I'd refresh this thread, as more than a year on and I think the situation might be even worse.

When I was starting to order my kitchen appliances at the end of September 2021, I had to juggle a lot of options and make a few compromises to be able to secure all my appliances in time for our installation scheduled in December. The suppliers have promised I will get everything I ordered by then, with one exception: an AEG induction hob. No matter what supplier I asked, AEG induction hobs are out of stock with no firm dates for re-stocking from AEG. My alternative was to spend £600 more and get a Siemens or go with a smaller hob. Neither seemed appealing so I thought I'd take a chance an order the AEG. It's been almost a month since I ordered it and still no news from the supplier on dates. I'm starting to wonder if I will have to delay the installation of my worktops...

Anyone else finding issues getting AEG appliances? How did you solve it?

I feel your frustration @Adsibob. I only just received a Siemens hob after a 14 week wait and upon unwrapping it, it appears to have some cosmetic damage to it. Damage is probably an overstatement, but I think this has been installed before and then returned. Normally I would complain but given I can't wait any longer I will just accept it and hope I don't have any issues.

Maybe @ryder72 can give you some tips, I think he works in kitchen design and supply.

Ordered our kitchen, back in June, it was installed about six weeks ago, the AEG fridge freezer hadn't arrived and no reported delivery date, however was offered an Electrolux, same fridge freezer, different badge with next day delivery.

Our cooker hood was scratched and have an 8 week lead time for a new one.

I think we were lucky as I was shopping for appliances in Sep '20 and decided to settle on a hob, oven, dishwasher and fridge/freezer primarily due to some good offers being on but I did note at the time that remaining stock numbers were getting rather low. Subsequent delays with the rest of the kitchen (mainly the worktop) meant that we only got them delivered a couple of months back and they'd been sitting in Marks Electrical's warehouse for all that time, and when I spoke to them about delivery they did say I'd been lucky and they'd been having all sorts of trouble getting stuff in. They also said some manufacturers had completely stopped manufacturing some of their product line and were instead just focusing on a subset of models. 

Incidentally, we did go for an AEG induction hob and have been thoroughly pleased with it - particularly the intuitive and responsive controls - and would definitely recommend them. Got an AEG oven too and whilst that too is good, it's got a few 'quirks' that I wish it didn't such as the timer counting in tens of seconds rather than minutes so setting a quick 15 minute countdown isn't quite as quick as we'd like and were previously used to! First world problems of course... 

Edited by MJNewton

2 hours ago, MJNewton said:

I think we were lucky as I was shopping for appliances in Sep '20 and decided to settle on a hob, oven, dishwasher and fridge/freezer primarily due to some good offers being on but I did note at the time that remaining stock numbers were getting rather low. Subsequent delays with the rest of the kitchen (mainly the worktop) meant that we only got them delivered a couple of months back and they'd been sitting in Marks Electrical's warehouse for all that time, and when I spoke to them about delivery they did say I'd been lucky and they'd been having all sorts of trouble getting stuff in. They also said some manufacturers had completely stopped manufacturing some of their product line and were instead just focusing on a subset of models. 

Incidentally, we did go for an AEG induction hob and have been thoroughly pleased with it - particularly the intuitive and responsive controls - and would definitely recommend them. Got an AEG oven too and whilst that too is good, it's got a few 'quirks' that I wish it didn't such as the timer counting in tens of seconds rather than minutes so setting a quick 15 minute countdown isn't quite as quick as we'd like and were previously used to! First world problems of course... 

I too have ordered my AEG hob from Marks Electrical. Each week for the past 4 weeks I get an email from them like this:

"This status update refers to the following item: AEG IKE95471FB

The above item is not currently in stock with us, and we have not yet received an expected dispatch date from the manufacturer.

We will continue to chase the manufacturer for this item and will email you as soon as we have an estimated timescale for its arrival at our warehouse.

As soon as the item is at our warehouse we will contact you to arrange a delivery date.

Best regards,

Customer Services
Marks Electrical"

To be far to them, when I placed my order I enquired about lead teams and they were honest enough to tell me they had no idea. I only went ahead on the basis that if I wanted to cancel my order I could cancel it at any time before delivery, whenever that might be. Not really sure what to do now though, as one month later I really thought I would have a confirmed delivery date at least. If I don't have a guarantee of eventually receiving that item, I can't really template for my worktops, so I can't finish my kitchen, particularly because this is an extra wide hob, so not that many alternatives will fit in the cut out exactly.

We recently bought an AEG 600mm induction hob from Currys with one week delivery. We have ordered an AEG oven, combi oven and fridge freezer from our local Euronics store. The ovens are 3 to 4 weeks delivery and the fridge freezer 18 weeks delivery.

We do not require our appliances until around next April or May but have ordered them now for a number of reasons.

Firstly the cost of shipping has gone up by around 4 to 10 times per item. Pre-pandemic you could get a fridge freezer to the UK for about £20 a unit. That is now £160 a unit. Costs per item will be going up massively to absorb this. This is purely down to container prices from the far east. 

Secondly the suppliers do not have stock of what we require - Neff oven and separate microwave/grill are the ones we are waiting for. The AEG induction hob (60cm) is waiting for us when the oven arrives and will be shipped then.

Luckily we can store them safely until required.

Edited by Happy Valley

2 hours ago, Happy Valley said:

We do not require our appliances until around next April or May but have ordered them now for a number of reasons.

Firstly the cost of shipping has gone up by around 4 to 10 times per item. Pre-pandemic you could get a fridge freezer to the UK for about £20 a unit. That is now £160 a unit. Costs per item will be going up massively to absorb this. This is purely down to container prices from the far east. 

Secondly the suppliers do not have stock of what we require - Neff oven and separate microwave/grill are the ones we are waiting for. The AEG induction hob (60cm) is waiting for us when the oven arrives and will be shipped then.

Luckily we can store them safely until required.

That does sound wise, but how do you deal with not being able to test the item fully works until months after it's been delivered  and reducing your warranty period? Or will the supplier hold it for you for free?

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

That does sound wise, but how do you deal with not being able to test the item fully works until months after it's been delivered  and reducing your warranty period? Or will the supplier hold it for you for free?

The warranty period is the only downside to our decision. It is a risk that we are willing to accept. 

I thought, for domestic buyers, the 1 year warranty, was a thing of the past. Goods now have to last a reasonable time.

Or is that something we have lost since we hated the EU's meddling in our domestic affairs.

We will all be better off with shoddy goods and services.

Edited by SteamyTea

30 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

The warranty period is the only downside to our decision. It is a risk that we are willing to accept. 

With Marks Electrical storing my items I must admit to being worried about them being thrown around the warehouse, and whilst of course there'd be no issue about liability of those damaged goods there is the issue that they might not have the stock to replace it if it arrived damaged and so could only refund your money in such a situation.