Extension- Last Stuff.

20 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hi Thedreamer.

Yes I do.. & tbh that's interesting Ive not considered this (actually curtains aren't the least bit interesting, but I think I get your gist!). In fact, as it's yet to have big balcony which will add some privacy (IE 1.2m H of wood railing) I've deliberately kept curtains closed up until midday.

Hadn't mulled on this (but: before curtains put up, I was getting excessive condensation on the outside tho/ huge ammounts too).

Designwise the extention end, doors etc, is too close to the two lanes really.. but the views & the light such a knockout on both counts, I went with it (my design). It means my bedroom can be seen into tho you see.

Damn good point- thanks for that. zH

I don't know if you watched the video I posted on the thread previously, about twenty minutes in, the curtains issue seem to help this guy with condensation issues.

How to Stop Damp Mould & Condensation - a COMPLETE Guide - YouTube

12 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Yes I do.. & tbh that's interesting Ive not considered this (actually curtains aren't the least bit interesting, but I think I get your gist!).

Strange that, I asked you the same question last week.

Edit, Sorry I didn't ask that question explicitly, just asked about putting moisture trap behind closed curtains.

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

I don't know if you watched the video I posted on the thread previously, about twenty minutes in, the curtains issue seem to help this guy with condensation issues.

How to Stop Damp Mould & Condensation - a COMPLETE Guide - YouTube

Hi thanks for that link. As he says straight up.. it's a complicated subject. Next he says regarding causes, the 4 main culprits: cooking, shower/ baths, washing, breathing. 

But all apart from breathing are n/a in this new room because: Im rarely having shower/ baths (like 1.5 a week.. its too cold currently in my bathroom), kitchen & bathroom far away from this room anyway. I cook for one sparingly (like using one pan only, ever). I never dry washing inside, only outside. I dont have a tumbledryer/ wasteful things IMO. And as Im one not a family of 4, I think its fair to say I produce minimal moisture breathing too.

So I am introducing minimal moisture into this room, I think that can be said. So.. wtf is causing this much then, in here.

unfortunately, even such a good vid hasn't shed any light on the cause of this excessive condensation, in this particular room here. Onwards from explaining the ins & outs of these main causes, he just goes on to dehumidifiers and solutions. So Im still none the wiser.

If it was a single glazed, old stone room, a bit of damp evident at floor level, kitchen next door, 3 fatsos using this room... this level of condensation & black mould would fit. So I wouldnt need to ask why so much condensation in here. It'd be bloomin obvious.

But I do not have such a room or fatties. I have just built, the opposite of this old room example, with double glazing, insulation etc etc (& as the chaps says good insulation is a pg1 thing to have to minimise condensation.. seems the complete opposite to me). But it is acting like the very worst old room with shite single glazed windows, & 5 fatsos now in it eating steamy noodles. And whatsmore its the worst room in the house even, by a huge margin too. 

8 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Strange that, I asked you the same question last week.

Edit, Sorry I didn't ask that question explicitly, just asked about putting moisture trap behind closed curtains.

Hi Peter, it might be an idea. 

But look Im only, just, solely, nothing else just for now.... trying to figure why this room is acting like it has a hot sauna next door, the door open, & sauna'd hot fattie fatsos keep coming in for some reason (maybe they think I have food in here. I dont have food in here). Why considering it should be the least condensation laden room (if the normal causes are happening) in the house.. after so much effort & modern materials used, which should help so says posh clip chap... is it being by far the worst for it?

Edited by zoothorn

32 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

But all apart from breathing are n/a in this new room because: Im rarely having shower/ baths (like 1.5 a week.. its too cold currently in my bathroom), kitchen & bathroom far away from this room anyway. I cook for one sparingly (like using one pan only, ever). I never dry washing inside, only outside. I dont have a tumbledryer/ wasteful things IMO. And as Im one not a family of 4, I think its fair to say I produce minimal moisture breathing too.

So I am introducing minimal moisture into this room, I think that can be said. So.. wtf is causing this much then, in here.

https://www.isse.org.uk/articles/dampness

1.6kg of water in 7 hrs through breathing.

Edited by Gav_P

6 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Yes, between 2 and 3 litres a day, imagine that as a puddle in your living room.

It would dry up faster if it was warmed up nicely and allowed to ventilate out the house.

Oh, hang on, Page 1

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, zoothorn said:

But look Im only, just, solely, nothing else just for now.... trying to figure why this room is acting like it has a hot sauna next door, the door open, & sauna'd hot fattie fatsos keep coming in for some reason (maybe they think I have food in here. I dont have food in here). Why considering it should be the least condensation laden room (if the normal causes are happening) in the house.. after so much effort & modern materials used, which should help so says posh clip chap... is it being by far the worst for it?

The only way to know for sure is to know what the humidity is at any particular time in both rooms. If the humidity is the same but there is more condensation in one room than the other then where the condensation is forming is due to a cold spot and that is the reason. The only way to know the levels of humidity is to measure it in both rooms at the same time with a couple of these, which I think I may have linked to before.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Digital-LCD-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Humidity-Indoor-Temperature-Meter-UK/192691525710

6 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

The only way to know the levels of humidity is to measure it in both rooms at the same time with a couple of these, which I think I may have linked to before.

These are great, I live in an old damp house, at the bottom of a damp glen a few hundred meters from a very damp sea..... and use these all the time to understand where I need to ventilate and heat and most importantly at what time of year I need to do this, without these I would be just guessing....... 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TonyT said:

Water leaks under the floor may be a source of additional moisture 

Hi TonyT. I can see this is a feasable suggestion.. appreciated: but I dont have any pipes under the floor in this 1 st floor room,  none under floor below either.

14 hours ago, Gav_P said:

https://www.isse.org.uk/articles/dampness

So might it be the case then, that because - i have- in fact built this room well, ie sealed like a foil bag ( as was suggested the idea when i did my foil taping every nook and cranny Onoff & Co were advising).... that this might be cause?

In which case, Im back to the bizarre situation of on the one hand advised to be sealing the room up super well against cold air ingress, but then the very opposite being advised of you need ventilation. So why seal it up like a bag in 1 st place??

Even so, if this was the sole cause then Logic says i should see this same effect in each room i sleep in. But i see the very opposite, i see this room massively different to any other ive slept in including my adjacent bedroom for last 4 years. So this doesn't seem likely then if true to be all of the cause, but only part of it.

On 09/02/2021 at 22:15, Onoff said:

Boil a kettle and watch the steam, it goes UP aka warm, moist air rises. 

I would seriously wipe this thread from the face of the Earth. Wiping it from memory might be harder. 

So you're suggesting my (minimal use, 1 person) kettle/ kitchen huff is some of the cause.. ok so it goes out through kitchen door, through my main room, up stairs, bypasses 1st bedroom & landing window where it could have collected, through big 2nd bedroom, on right through my new thick door always closed to keep warmth in, on through big new extention room & collects 35metres away, at my french doors? Seriously? 

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

I have a well insulated extension, and no issues like yours I’m 50metres from a river.

Exactly. Which suggests to me some other factor is at play here: if you said you're 50m away from the ystwyth, 8m over rolling hills westwards from sea high up in a mini valley 'bowl' fir forest trap ( & assuming no dehumidifiers & mvhr in it going full pelt).. Id say how the  flyin feck?!

Im not sure of the point of saying this tho, but I am sure it's likely not to agree with me.. to humour me maybe?

thx zh

@PeterStarck understand your test idea, but wouldn't it need two identical room characteristics to be of use tho.. & someone sleeping in each, same rad size too-?

Peter could you comment on this..

sun pm yesterday added 3.5* heat to this room (thermostat room 18*, so if it usually gets to 1* less in problem top room as a rule.. so at 20.5* the sun added 3.5* blasting in). So good success in this figure, lovely warmth best ever..  but unpleasantly clammy.

Now in my main old ground floor room, stove on, get similar room temp, known bit of rising damp ((( not cause of top room moisture because its all of 3 rooms away plus a floor below & damp minor anyway/ liveable with fine ))) old characteristics etc.. pleasantly dry.

Its this weird "reverse disparity" Im trying to get cause of: you'd just expect in new timber frame, dry, sunniest ever room.. pleasant dry heat. You might expect in my 1830 stone room, much darker, next to kitchen, with its bit of known damp in.. unpleasantly clammy heat.

But I'm getting the -complete- polar opposite. Thx zh

Edited by zoothorn

47 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

understand your test idea, but wouldn't it need two identical room characteristics to be of use tho.. & someone sleeping in each, same rad size too-?

No just the opposite. You are trying to find out the overall cause. It could be caused by length of time of occupation, airtightness or many other things but without knowing the level of humidity in each room and how they are being used and are constructed it's just finger in the air guessing.

54 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Peter could you comment on this..

sun pm yesterday added 3.5* heat to this room (thermostat room 18*, so if it usually gets to 1* less in problem top room as a rule.. so at 20.5* the sun added 3.5* blasting in). So good success in this figure, lovely warmth best ever..  but unpleasantly clammy.

Now in my main old ground floor room, stove on, get similar room temp, known bit of rising damp ((( not cause of top room moisture because its all of 3 rooms away plus a floor below & damp minor anyway/ liveable with fine ))) old characteristics etc.. pleasantly dry.

Without knowing the measured level of humidity it's very difficult to say. The human body is very bad at determining temperature and humidity. Putting your hand in hot water or cold water can feel the same. Sitting in front of a stove will feel different to sitting in another room at the same temperature. Some people find it uncomfortable with low humidity and others with high humidity. You need to measure what you find comfortable in terms of temperature and humidity. If you find that you are more comfortable with lower humidity then you will need to install some form of ventilation in the rooms that need it, but without knowing the levels you've got nothing to work with.

• Like 1