Olly P

Glass gable ends. Looking for examples..

Recommended Posts

I'm looking for ideas for our master bedroom glass gable. We are now pretty much felted and batterned in so I need to get on with ordering the windows and doors. 

 

The glass apex is open from the floor to the steel ridge and I'm wanting to use aluminium frames. There is going to be a juliet balcony hopefully with sliding doors. 

 

I spoke to one glazing firm so far and they had concerns that I need to add a horizontal steel to split the glass up. This isn't a big deal as I've done all the steel fabrication myself onsite, but didnt want to go down that route. 

 

Who has done this and have you any pictures you could post to show me? 

 

Many thanks 

20200828_165512.jpg

20200828_165528.jpg

20200828_165552.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's very nice. Which house is yours? 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That's very nice. Which house is yours? 😂

 

Thanks.. I'll be living in the container if my wife has her way!  😅

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't particularly help with specifics.

 

Try about 20% of episodes of Grand Designs 😛 .

 

And the rear elevations of things in National Parks, where they have the potemkin heritage facade at the front. So country walking "round the houses" required.

 

Here is a piece from Build-it with examples and links to suppliers, which may be more useful.

https://www.self-build.co.uk/design-details-glazed-gables/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you're having a door in there you'll need a horizontal anyway, I guess it's just a case of keeping it as small as possible?

If it was me I'd go direct to manufacturers at this point and see what they can achieve in that opening, it looks pretty large!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is mine. Height is 4 .5 meters to ridge. Bi folds at the bottom. I didnt want a chunky steel splitting the top and bottom section horizontally and it would have  made the portal frame design redundant. The horizontal piece of steel used was as thin as possible and had a vertical piece of steel added in the centre to tie to the steel at the top and prevent sagging. This was clad in black aluminium by the window manufacturer to disguise it.

 

Glazing was from a place in Middlesborough, and was 10 k less then my next quote. Happy to share details if required.

Gable.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2020 at 09:59, simon45089 said:

Here is mine. Height is 4 .5 meters to ridge. Bi folds at the bottom. I didnt want a chunky steel splitting the top and bottom section horizontally and it would have  made the portal frame design redundant. The horizontal piece of steel used was as thin as possible and had a vertical piece of steel added in the centre to tie to the steel at the top and prevent sagging. This was clad in black aluminium by the window manufacturer to disguise it.

 

Glazing was from a place in Middlesborough, and was 10 k less then my next quote. Happy to share details if required.

Gable.JPG

 

That looks fantastic and very similar idea to what we have in mine although we are going for a 3 rail sliding door arrangement. I'm impressed by how you've managed to hide the horizontal and vertical steels so they are virtually invisible. What size section steel are they? And I assume RHS? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Olly. Yes it was RHS, from memory about 100mm I think. I am away from home at the moment but back Sunday so will double check then.

Simon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have gone upwards of 5 metres tall without intermediate supports before. It's just a case of what wind-load you have to deal with and how much you have to spend.

 

Upwards of 2.5-3m spans is where the cost starts to increase. Certainly if you have a door as part of your gable, you will be wise to have a steel at the head of the door - you can't rely on a fixed window to support the head of the door frame.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Good luck with the curtains and blinds!

Who uses curtains and blinds nowadays... except in bedrooms? ... unless you are in a built up area, but I’m guessing anyone who is adding this much glass has big views without many houses looking back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Who uses curtains and blinds nowadays... except in bedrooms? ... unless you are in a built up area, but I’m guessing anyone who is adding this much glass has big views without many houses looking back. 

 

It always surprised me when I'd stay in hotels in central London as no-one bothered to shut curtains in their homes despite being overlooked and surrounded by offices, hotels, other residential places etc. I could literally look out of my hotel room into someone's dining room and see what they were eating for their tea and no, not everyone bothers with curtains or if they do have them they certainly don't always use them 😳

 

Curtains and blinds aren't in our budget at the moment so we will be moving back in with newspaper on the bedroom window!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Curtains and blinds aren't in our budget at the moment so we will be moving back in with newspaper on the bedroom window!

Classic look, economical with environmentally friendly upcycling. ... but newspapers are getting scarce these days so better start collecting now if you’re planning on a vast glass gable too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Curtains and blinds aren't in our budget at the moment so we will be moving back in with newspaper on the bedroom window!

we found cardboard boxes are better as they're stiffer and can be more easily removed during the day. 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gav_P said:

Classic look, economical with environmentally friendly upcycling. ... but newspapers are getting scarce these days so better start collecting now if you’re planning on a vast glass gable too. 

 

I don't care on covering the sliders and glass gable. Priority due to scarceness of newspapers 😁

 

16 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

we found cardboard boxes are better as they're stiffer and can be more easily removed during the day. 🙃

 

Good point, I'll start stockpiling Amazon boxes. Order a mobile phone case and they will pack it in a box the size of a small child.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about rolls of weed fabric, which you can repurpose to use with your garden later?

 

Should get fewer tape marks on your windows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's wrong with good old Windolene to obscure windows like in the old days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/09/2020 at 18:38, simon45089 said:

Hi Olly. Yes it was RHS, from memory about 100mm I think. I am away from home at the moment but back Sunday so will double check then.

Simon.

Hi Simon 

 

Did you find out what size RHS steel you used? 

We are currently fitting the sliding doors upstairs and downstairs, frames are in, glazing on Monday. After that I need to install a horizontal steel 4.8m long at least 50 x50 SHS that will support the two triangular ali frames and glass above it. I will see about putting a horizontal in too to reduce the risk of sagging. 

 

IMG-20201119-WA0001.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the delay Olly. The horizontal beam is 60mmx 60mm. The vertical is the same. It was attached just to stop any minor bowing. The overall span is just under 5 metres.

All then clad in aluminium to match the glazing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want minimal beams you could try curtain wall suppliers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2020 at 20:39, simon45089 said:

Sorry for the delay Olly. The horizontal beam is 60mmx 60mm. The vertical is the same. It was attached just to stop any minor bowing. The overall span is just under 5 metres.

All then clad in aluminium to match the glazing.

Thanks Simon. 

 

I found some 70x70mm so I've put that in above the sliding doors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is your building control not wanting Structural calcs for all the steels before issuing a completion cert ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now