Insurance for vehicles on private land

Currently you aren't forced to buy third party insurance for vehicles used on private land but that may change soon according to..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/21/golf-buggies-dodgems-could-require-motor-insurance-new-eu-law/

Pretty sure most self build policies would cover you if you ran over your brick layer in your digger but it's possible new policies will be required.

Ride on mowers?

Powered wheel barrows?

Edited by Temp

Bizarrely I can see the logic but can't see how it would work..!

Would I need to register my [insert name here] ride on mower with DVLA first so it has a "number"..?

And dogems..?? Can you image the whiplash claims ..??!!

26 minutes ago, joe90 said:

All I can say is, roll on Brexit. I can however see the sense in insurance for say golf buggies where members should be protected. I don't suppose anyone in Europe knows about my JCB ?.

If the past is anything to go by, the DVLA might assume you have one and issue a preemptive ticket, at the wrong address, then blame you for not receiving it, then crush your car anyway. When SORN came in they issued then withdrew 1 million+ tickets over a 4 year period iirc, which was 20% plus.

Would trailers and caravans be a model of the different principle where they create a record and yadda yadda yadda.

IIRC trailers on the continent have their own separate existence and are identified by the bureaucracy. There was some concession required for Brits towing their non-individually-registered caravans to be able to tow within the EU.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Yes this is exactly the sort of stupid directive that I want an end to which is why I voted for brexit.  Especially if as the article hints, it puts and end to the SORN scheme. So are you going to have to continue paying road tax and insurance on an unused car on your own land? That is going to upset a lot of people, especially those in the process of restoring a classic car.

And as for ride on lawnmowers. Madness.  Fairground dodgems must already have some form of insurance as surely all fairground rides have. I wouldn't mind betting most golf clubs require insurance on a golf buggy already, just as to keep a boat in a harbour, the harbour requires it to be insured (though there is no legal requirement to insure a leisure boat on the sea)

right,

this is actually big news right now and is imminent believe it or not,

brought about by some guy on a building site being knocked off a ladder by a digger I think,

how do I know its a real possibility,?

all motorsport licence holders are being swept up in it,

it will basically outlaw any form of motorsport, NO insurance company will provide cover, the insurance companies body thingymagig has said so,

17 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Calm down fellas, it's the Telegraph with the sub editors favourite cover all "could" in the headline.

Maybe @Stones will shed some measured opinion...

Apologies for the delay, lightening storms have somewhat limited broadband access (or at east my willingness to leave the router connected).

It's certainly a useful 'how ridiculous the EU is' story, and from the governments point of view, lets them highlight how much better off we will be out than in.  

I've not read the court judgement, but can certainly see the aim of it - to ensure accident victims have recourse to a fund of last resort (part and parcel of ensuring that insurance is mandatory).  I'm not convinced that it is needed here in the UK, as most of the third party risks that such a change would cover, are more than likely already covered by general liability policies.  That may very well be different in the country where this case originated, be it different types of insurance policies or simply the fact that nobody bothers with any form of public liability insurance.   

If you read through the consultation document linked to by @Alphonsox that lays out all of the issues / problems from a UK perspective, and in fairness it would appear that the EU commission is trying to find a way of taking the judgement on board without incorporating too many of the downsides.  Whether that happens quickly or not...I'm sure if they really wanted to, the UK government could delay making any changes by dragging out the consultation and parliamentary process.

Does the current system work, in terms of road policing on public highways, broadly yes.  Of course there are uninsured drivers out there (and nothing gave me greater pleasure than seizing their vehicles).  Trailers, caravans etc, when towed on the road are of course covered by the insurance of the towing vehicle, so why insure them independently (third party risks)?

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

@Steptoe, is the insurance sector really going to ignore such a large market? I ask because I insure my Land Rover for off road driving - a tiny market.

I'm sure if changes are made, that the insurance market will develop policies for the lower risk categories, because it will be money for old rope.  High risk categories may however become uninsurable - depends what risks are being covered.  Motorsport is an interesting one, I suspect getting a policy to cover spectators (provided specific safety measures are in place) is straightforward enough, insuring those participating in the racing, not.

18 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

IIRC trailers on the continent have their own separate existence and are identified by the bureaucracy. There was some concession required for Brits towing their non-individually-registered caravans to be able to tow within the EU.

Ferdinand

Here in the UK, LGV trailers are tested by VOSA to ensure their roadworthiness.  Having dealt with the consequences of poorly built (homemade) trailers on the road, I would be all for any form of trailer, caravan, horsebox etc towed on the road being the subject of an annual MOT - different issue but one which would make a difference.  Given the limited mechanics involved, it needn't cost much and would take next to no time to do (could even be an optional add on to a vehicle MOT).  Different issue though.

A lot of this is caused by the definition of a motor vehicle. Remember the issue over those scooters with engines. Currently if you have a motor vehicle constructed and adapted for use on the road you need tax insurance etc. There were big issues over disability scooters crashing into cars and pedestrians.. Some tractors being motor vehicles (JCB fast track) and some not. 

Insurance is not restricted to public land but land to which the public have access, and roads are not restricted to public roads but a road which can be seen as a point of communication between two locations that public have access. ( this might not be word perfect as its a while since i studied traffic law)

A private car park such as supermarket needs insurance and all other things in place. We are near the ridge way and are plagued by off road bikes. all commit offences if not fully road legal.

I would not worry as police are far to busy chasing their own tails to worry about traffic law. Time for a private compant to take over and make millions from poor joe public.:S