Getting Tiles onto a Roof

Random question, how are they normally carted up to the roof?

Reason I ask - I have no loading bay on the scaff, no forks etc so it seems to me that a day of humping and dumping is in store for the roofers. I was chatting about this to one of the lads and although not often, sometime they just have to 'strongarm' them up there.

The head guy is now dripping to me about having to work out another way of getting them up there - he wasnt there the day I was discussing this with the lads, they seemed fine with it so what's his problem?

This is the sort of thing that winds me up, I can't wait till all contractors are gone and I can just crack on under my own steam indoors.

He was dripping about asking the Jewsons manager if the driver dropping my block off on monday can move them for him ?

If it weren't for the fact I have other stuff to do at the minute I'd have bloody done it myself.

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would hire a tile bumper 

what is in your agreement with the roofer

maybe he should hire a tile bumper

if I was paying him by the day I would hire it

if you have a fixed price he should hire it. 

Fixed price, no mention of bumpa. I agree that a bumpa would be the easier option, be around £150 incl delivery/collection.  

He was chirping on about how they normally stack pallets two high next to the scaff then chain gang them up. I cant see that happening without breaking the bundles down as they are 90kg a bundle. So if they break the packs open to chain them up, what difference does 8m walk make from where they are stacked to the scaff. Will see what monday brings!

I made a hoist using a ladder and winch, was a god-send. As I could load the scaffolding then set up on the roof pitch and send up 60 tiles (plain clay) at a time and use what I could, then send back down the mega twisted ones and re-load again. Tiles were reclaimed , well over a hundred years old and every one was a different shape needing selective placement.

Anyway the hoist i put together was similar to this;

https://youtu.be/u3qNB8GDOzY

30 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Do you have a tele handler local. 

Tried this option - all I got was 'busy on farm' - not been about enough to get pally with people yet ?‍♂️

Just winds me up when people come at me with problems rather than solutions/options. This is his bread and butter, it's not his first time at the rodeo so I expect options rather than teeth sucking - all that does is get my back up!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

I made a hoist using a ladder and winch, was a god-send. As I could load the scaffolding then set up on the roof pitch and send up 60 tiles (plain clay) at a time and use what I could, then send back down the mega twisted ones and re-load again. Tiles were reclaimed , well over a hundred years old and every one was a different shape needing selective placement.

Anyway the hoist i put together was similar to this;

https://youtu.be/u3qNB8GDOzY

That's interesting, however I suspect the cost of hiring a bumpa would potentially outweigh the time/money spent on this even though it does look like a good effort.

I didn’t bother with loading bays either 

I hire a bumper lift from speedy 

£120 for the including a replacement as one of the pulleys snapped on the first one

Simply clamp to the top handrail 

11 hours ago, LA3222 said:

If it weren't for the fact I have other stuff to do at the minute I'd have bloody done it myself.

Her Indoors lifted most of ours.

There's something about self-building that flips my Just-Bloody-Do-It switch . And yours @LA3222...

Not everyone on site has one. Funny that innit?

I did the @AnonymousBosch "just do it" method.  I carried them up the ladder a few at a time.  I think I calculated I climbed 3 Munro's up that ladder in the process.

I didn't do them all in one go, that would have been too monotonous.  I would carry a batch up onto the scaffold, then lay them on the roof. Then repeat a LOT of times.

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Her Indoors lifted most of ours.

There's something about self-building that flips my Just-Bloody-Do-It switch . And yours @LA3222...

Not everyone on site has one. Funny that innit?

We had 1200 on either garage 

Which we hand balled up 

But for the sake of £120 Didn’t fancy taking 4000 slates upto the main house 

Marvellous bit of kit 

I got my wife to lift them up when we extended a previous house (bungalow). She was up and down the ladder and I stacked them. Her mum showed up whilst doing this and was not happy, the reason, she was 6 months pregnant at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the Romanian guys that were doing our insulation offered. Three men, four hours,  2600  (7t) heavy clay tiles in bundles of 6 up two lifts of scaff. No idea how they did it...

Heck loading them onto the roof off the scaff was hard enough work.

Really down to how you feel your relationship is with him, I bet your roof is costing you £12-15 grand at least so £150 extra to you is peanuts. 

It could be a good Will thing on your behalf so he thinks your a good lad so goes the extra mile to do a good job, or he thinks your a tosser who should have a forklift and cannot wait to get off your job

i think there is a saying

would you rather be right or happy. 

Or if you think he has priced it well just walk straight up to him and say you expected him to have one, the other companies that quoted the job all said they would bring one, shrug your shoulders and walk away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/05/2020 at 09:43, Russell griffiths said:

It could be a good Will thing on your behalf so he thinks your a good lad so goes the extra mile to do a good job, or he thinks your a tosser who should have a forklift and cannot wait to get off your job

i think there is a saying

would you rather be right or happy. 

@Russell griffiths makes sense. If it were me I'd hire one to get it done quicker for less hassle.

Looking forward to seeing pics @LA3222 of the progress.

In the end they just hoiked them up. The boss left three lads to do it, with a fair bit of mincing about they did it in less than a day - not sure what all the drama was with his whinging?‍♂️

On another note, it's amazing how many tiles went into the skip...c'est la vie!