nod

Don’t pay your trades up till they have finished

Recommended Posts

I had a call from a family friend They are having there bathroom fitted out Walls tiled just the floor to do 7m2 Tiler asked to be paid on Friday and Leave £150 in Knowing the Plumbing company will be back on Monday to fit out 

No show Saturday Rang me in desperation It’s taken me an hour and a half to get there Will be the same to get home Two hours to do the tiling and a couple of hours to wait to grout it 

Rang the plumbing company and they are happy to do the silicon 

Saves me another three hour trip 

 

Dont pay out out till the job is complete and you are totally happy 

C35922C8-D69C-4ED8-B8E4-F8CB87877365.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't it be floor tiles first, then wall tiles down onto floor tiles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about to tile a bathroom and plan to do the walls first. Mainly so I can cut the wall tiles on the floor and don't have to worry about dropping tools or adhesive. No idea if that's the order a pro would do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Shouldn't it be floor tiles first, then wall tiles down onto floor tiles?

No The guy has made a good job 

Always floor last 

Never first 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nod said:

No The guy has made a good job 

Always floor last 

Never first 

we must agree to differ on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even good old google will tell you floor last 

 

main reason being If anything moves it will be the floor and damage to the floor while doing the wall 

Think I’ve said before If I started a tiler and he tiled the floor first he would get chance to tile the walls 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nod said:

Even good old google will tell you floor last 

 

main reason being If anything moves it will be the floor and damage to the floor while doing the wall 

Think I’ve said before If I started a tiler and he tiled the floor first he would get chance to tile the walls 

 

I'm mainly thinking of multipanel walls or similar, where if you do wall first, then you create a channel that the bottom of the panels will sit in, soaking up water, if the sealing is ANYTHING less than perfect.

 

Floor first then walls allows 2 layers at sealant.

 

Principle is the same, though the effects of tiles is less than multipanel if sat in water.  BUT at one previous house we had tiles that wicked up water like that and left a stain half way up the tiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nod said:

No The guy has made a good job 

Always floor last 

Never first 

Fight !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Floors first. Cleanest lines possible. 
Plus, silicone corners is the anti-Christ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How large a job before staged payments are expected. I have agreed to pay my brickie team in 4 stages as the house goes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Floors first. Cleanest lines possible. 
Plus, silicone corners is the anti-Christ. 

DIY 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alternative sport to England nearly getting stuffed at cricket. Excellent.

 

 

Edited by Ferdinand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

How large a job before staged payments are expected. I have agreed to pay my brickie team in 4 stages as the house goes up.  Normally foundation Upto chamber You need to leave extra on for pikes Tgey often get left even on large sites You have to pay over the odds if you can find a Brickie that will take them on If it’s just a singe Brickie he may just want to draw a flat wage each week and a chunk on completion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Floors first. Then tile down to the floor with a 1mm gap. No dirty, bottom grout line etc.

 

20181015_193117

 

A old Welsh boy taught me that trick.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nod said:

I had a call from a family friend They are having there bathroom fitted out Walls tiled just the floor to do 7m2 Tiler asked to be paid on Friday and Leave £150 in Knowing the Plumbing company will be back on Monday to fit out 

No show Saturday Rang me in desperation It’s taken me an hour and a half to get there Will be the same to get home Two hours to do the tiling and a couple of hours to wait to grout it 

Rang the plumbing company and they are happy to do the silicon 

Saves me another three hour trip 

 

Dont pay out out till the job is complete and you are totally happy 

C35922C8-D69C-4ED8-B8E4-F8CB87877365.jpeg

 

It's more important to have a contract (in writing) before you start.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adrian Walker said:

 

It's more important to have a contract (in writing) before you start.  

 

Trouble is someone tiling one bathroom wouldn’t get involved in contracts and would want cash 

This guy has actually made a good job which is surprising as most of these jobbers are pretty rough and slowwwwww 

 

Ive six tilers working for me at the moment I pay them per complete job Then it’s usually 60 days before I get paid for materials and labour 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Floors first. Then tile down to the floor with a 1mm gap. No dirty, bottom grout line etc.

 

20181015_193117

 

A old Welsh boy taught me that trick

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Floor first baby. 😘

I rest my case 

E7B16803-2D2B-44D1-9E1D-60BB5AB118F4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Not wanting to take sides but if using one of these trays then they recommend you do the walls first to get the right position of the tile in relation to the linear drain, just saying!!

Edited by Pete
wrong link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add I was very careful to protect my finished floor with sheets of Correx temporary protection boards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I should add I was very careful to protect my finished floor with sheets of Correx temporary protection boards. 

Still not finished ffs !

Sorry @Onoff SWMBO and I went tile shopping today . F’me ! . “I’ll give you trade discount mate ‘ - still had to swap out items for cheaper ones . Why are nice tiles £50 sq m and shite ones £10 sq m 😭☺️

Edited by pocster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pete said:

Not wanting to take sides but if using one of these trays then they recommend you do the walls first to get the right position of the tile in relation to the linear drain, just saying!!

That’s what tape measures are for ?

You don’t plonk a house down and draw around it for the foundations ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now