Eat yer heart out @onoff: I can't put this off any longer

Our wetroom. I feel sick. And for months I have been doing other jobs instead - not that there's any shortage of them. But this particular one  fills me with dread. Here goes.

What have we got? This.....

The North wall

_191125_080330_011.thumb.png.98bdb8d0df156d2eeb7bed3080c4b239.png

The south wall

_191125_080345_677.thumb.png.1e8dbca63f4270382c8509d16647d87e.png

The east wall

_191125_080334_351.thumb.png.8ab7ba009dcaece0e2a4458e6b94d3a5.png

_191125_080339_628.thumb.png.fb34084677ddcc3e867666ec11ae1931.png

The west wall ( all bar a little bit)

_191125_080324_104.thumb.png.0312a9523e36df66d671cac3d291ecb4.png

and we'd like to use a Wedi Riofino base for the shower bit - like this 

WEDIriofinoBaseDepthCalc.jpg.faad9adde121053af9154347fa259846.jpg

I dont know how many times I have dipped my big toe into @Onoff's posts  - many many times. And while its been instructive, its also itemised what I can get wrong.

Geberit Sigma frame and AquaClean Tuma  already bought. And a small Geberit hand wash basin. SWMBO has the tiles detail.

Small area of electric underfloor heat ( a square meter or so)

On the east wall, we'd like Multipanel. Elsewhere tiles.

Lets start with a simple question: walls before floor or the other way round?

• Like 1

Floor first with the floor tanked to the walls then tiles.  Then the multipanel / tiles is sealed down onto the top of the tiles.

Direct links to my blog entries :

floor http://ardross.altervista.org/Wilowburn/bathroom-wet-room-floor/

walls and finishing http://ardross.altervista.org/Wilowburn/main-bathroom-complete/

Tank every surface in sight. Use the special tanking tape at corners and wherever theres a change from one material to another.

Then do the floor. Protect the floor. Then do the walls. CT1 any screw penetration and use st/st screws. 

Just imho. 

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can I jump in with a dummy question ?

Is it not better to plaster board the ceiling , get it skimmed , painted I.e finished - before any walls or floors ??

Come to think of it I did exactly that.

• Like 1

Hmmm, very interesting indeed. A Know-Nowt like me reads as follows

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Floor first with the floor tanked to the walls then tiles.  Then the multipanel / tiles is sealed down onto the top of the tiles.

[...]

and

32 minutes ago, nod said:

Always walls first Ian

[...]

and

28 minutes ago, pocster said:

[...]

plaster board the ceiling , get it skimmed , painted

[...]

and to cap it all off  here's yer man who says ...

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Tank every surface in sight. [...]  (first presumably)

Sho, shum shay, top down, others bottom up

I have come to know and trust all of the contributors to this thread.

Does this mean it doesn't matter? - Just Bloody Start Somewhere, Anywhere - and cope with the consequences?

• Haha 1

Ceiling first by all means.

I think the important thing is floor first then walls onto the top of the finished floor.

Walls first, then floor, would leave the potential of water at the edges getting under your floor tiles and a much harder joint to seal.

If using Multipanel or similar for part of the walls, then you have no choice as to order, the floor HAS to be laid before the wall board.  There's no way to seal Multipanel if the timber edge ends up below the finished floor, and sooner or later it will fail.

Tiling is sometimes better done the other way around, but either way works.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I think the important thing is floor first then walls onto the top of the finished floor.

Walls first, then floor, would leave the potential of water at the edges getting under your floor tiles and a much harder joint to seal.

Yes ! I got something right !! ????

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

[...]

then you have no choice as to order, the floor HAS to be laid before the wall board. 

[...]

Right then. 

11 minutes ago, Danny68 said:

What ever you do take your time and don't cut corners .

That's what I want to hear. I'll start next year then (after the divorce)?

• Haha 2

I did cut one corner...

20190309_205615

Don't underestimate how far water will spray if you're not having a screen. My wet room corner is 1.4 x 1.4. 2mx2m would have I think been just right. So glad I tanked the complete floor.

Edited by Onoff

30 minutes ago, pocster said:

Have a screen. [...]

Yes, read that. But, but but.

I'm living with mistakes made long ago. The configuration of both the foul wastes and the window (smack bang in the centre of the north wall) together mean that we cant have a screen.

But - to get through the Regs - we will need a screen of sorts. We will erect a temporary shower curtain, wait until sign off, and then take it down.

Which is why I am grateful for @Onoff's advice (and others) to tank the place to oblivion

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Yes, read that. But, but but.

I'm living with mistakes made long ago. The configuration of both the foul wastes and the window (smack bang in the centre of the north wall) together mean that we cant have a screen.

But - to get through the Regs - we will need a screen of sorts. We will erect a temporary shower curtain, wait until sign off, and then take it down.

Which is why I am grateful for @Onoff's advice (and others) to tank the place to oblivion

Oh yes ! Agree 100% - tank like there is no tomorrow. From your pics you seem to be in a similar point to myself with the bathroom . We can confide in each other as we move slowly and painfully forward ! ? . Stay strong brother ! . Man was put on the moon ? . Domestos kills all known germs dead and Jesus has a Netflix account . Therefore WE can do this ! ???

Edited by pocster

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I did cut one corner...

20190309_205615

Don't underestimate how far water will spray if you're not having a screen. My wet room corner is 1.4 x 1.4. 2mx2m would have I think been just right. So glad I tanked the complete floor.

Vertical grout lines above the sink aren’t equal distance from edge of sink .

FAIL - redo , now !

I love plumbing...not...

I'm currently working on an en-suite we never finished when we built the house.  The pipe in the floor is Osmaweld grey but nobody seems to sell the other bits I need in grey locally. I figured white bits would be fine as it's all under the tray/floor. Wrong. It seems Osmaweld white and grey are slightly different sizes. The short length of Grey 40mm pipe I have is a bit too loose in a white 50-40mm adaptor for comfort. And yes its all same make and all solvent weld. Another 30 mile round trip tomorrow I guess

I went into this knowing nothing other than I wanted a rainfall head as well as a handset riser. The mitred corner with the handset riser came later as did the decision to go no tray. The intent has always been to put a screen or pair of folding doors on the vertical mosaic strips that are strong points if it becomes an issue.

The Union Jack tiled area is 1.3 x 1.3m, the first bits of pink tape. The reality is the water splashes a bit another tile over so to about 1.7m - the second bit of pink tape. To be safe 2m x 2m would be a good area in my opinion.

So the seat of the wc gets a few splashes.

20200107_175558.thumb.jpg.70d05dd3f9a4eba0f7ab86a5ff1165e6.jpg

20200107_175705.thumb.jpg.06d14259cd55f220e50a7cd05064f978.jpg

After a shower we'll just kick the towel around the floor.

We like it and it's manageable, all the time that is we're able to bend after our shower and squeegee the floor that is!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nod said:

Always walls first Ian

You what I’m going to say next 

Expansion gap around the edge 5 mil left clear of grout 

Fill with silicon 

Not on my shift mate ?
Always floor first and then tile up and away. The only time I break that rule is if it’s mosaic in a specific area and I’ll then size the opening to take full sheets of mosaic. 

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

If you’ve tanked and sealed properly you don’t have to panic about that detail. ;) 

It is preferable but not life or death. I’ve done enough “grief free” wetrooms to know ?

A true Wetroom install should be OK to use WITHOUT EVER TILING IT, remember that and you’ll be fine. ?

• Like 1