Removing square twist nails

MJNewton

Grrr... As seems to happen all too often for me, I was a bit hasty with the placement of something and now want to move it. In this case it is a Simpson I-Joists hole support like the following:

78IHS195.jpg

As per this stock photo I have fitted it towards the end of an I-joist to allow me to safely cut a large hole in the webbing (for a 75mm semi-rigid duct to pass through). I now wish to move it a few inches along (haven't cut the hole yet) and hence need to remove the 30mm square twist nails which took some force to get in and I fear will take considerably more to get out!

My if-all-else-fails fallback assumption was to grind the heads off (with a Dremel or angle grinder if need be) and leave the shanks in place but I am wondering if I've got any hope of removal without resorting to this. Is this doable?

Edited by MJNewton

Hmm, have you tried prying the plates out little by little using a crowbar? Because it's an I Joist you can get in between the plate and the joist. Obviously go gently, but once a section lifts then you should be able to keep working round - also using an old chisel might help too. . Grinding it an option yes but last resort! 

I haven't tried anything yet beyond standing underneath it admiring the problem! I've intentionally delayed the job until the weekend to avoid adding another hasty mistake on top of the first! ;)

That's a good call about maybe prying the plate itself to help get them moving, even just to give me a bit more purchase on the heads with whatever tools I can lay may hands on.

Edited by MJNewton

I took loads out recently on joist hangers, I used a thin flat blade screwdriver and hammer between them and plate to get them moving, then a crowbar, just don't pull it all in one go, take several small bites so the nail can unwind as it comes rather than tear the wood.

you could make a piece of metal with a mouth in it --sharpen the edge so you can knock  it in around your nails  shaped like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Auto-Car-Upholstery-Remover-Tool-Fastener-Fixing-Clip-Screwdriver-Trim-Puller/223645333105?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D2a612688909c44e48848c2dc7c73dc5d%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D192987892451%26itm%3D223645333105%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

s-then once you loosened all use pinchers to pull out nails --the old fashoined type that have rounded jaws so as you lever down they pull out the nail 

first picture i could find --shaped like these hors shoe pinchers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FARRIERS-HORSE-HOOF-FILE-PINCER/dp/B00KXWLAZO

joiners always used to have them --

Edited by scottishjohn

Get an old wood chisel, 25mm wide put up against the head and hit with a hammer, pretend you are trying to actually chop the heads off but this won’t happen, what will happen is the nail will pull out a couple of mm so you can get a small crow bar or a pair of pinchers on to them, then yank out. Easy peasy. 

35 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

How many is there to do i read as 1?

There's actually two - the other being on the other side. It however is screwed in as, whilst not as good from a strength perspective,  there was no room to swing a hammer as it's the last joist in the run so sits around 10cm from the wall running parrallel to it. They went in with a right-angled screwdriver so  should come out the same way! 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll start with a bit of prying (autocorrect quite rightly suggested praying!) or a chisel, a forked mini wrecking bar, pincers and a claw hammer before either investing in another tool or chanting 'off with their heads!'. 

Edited by MJNewton

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

When you put it back check if you are supposed to put blocking in the web of that joist. 

The instructions/diagrams don't show it being done... Was it the holes that gave you that thought? If so, they are triangular and I think in Simpson-speak that means they're for something else rather than driving a nail through... 

Edited by MJNewton

That looks like a beast of a tool; will see how I get on with my 'normal' tools first.

Regarding mole grips I never seem to have much joy with them (limited grip). I wondered if maybe my grips are just of poor quality but I seem to recall they are the genuine article. Or could just be user error... ;)

It is reassuring to have heard so many suggestions, and not one person (yet!) say that they won't come out (or not without ripping half the surrounding timber out with them!).

Edited by MJNewton

51 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

That looks like a beast of a tool; will see how I get on with my 'normal' tools first.

My chippy mate gave them to me. Pretty amazing tbh. They'll pull out angular ring nails from 3/4" ply on joists. The knob on the end you can welt the inbuilt slide hammer to drive the pincer teeth round the nail head.

Edited by Onoff