Lack of transparency in solar PV quotes

H F

I know that most of you on this forum that have solar PV are very clued up on what should comprise a solar system in terms of kit and capacity.

Never having had solar before, and not knowing too much about the tech, when I’ve gone through my paperwork, solar installation quotes seem to lack transparency and specificity. Not a single quote I received stated the size of the inverter they’d install or the number of optimizers - just the brand is mentioned. They’re all vague, and they harp on about savings... 

Is this lack of detail common practice amongst solar PV installers?

Common practice for the industry sad to say.  Been a few years since I worked in it, but the sales tactics was typical for a double glazing company, which a lot of PV companies where.

They relied a lot on people's ignorance, which seems strange to me when they were, at the time, paying £12-£16k for a 4 kWp system.

I’m having a disagreement with my installer. If you look at the attached image, which is a snippet of the final invoice (I’ve scratched out the amount), would you agree that I have been charged for a Victron inverter?

6FF9F2B3-C355-4EF4-A1B9-D2E279889613.jpeg

Yup, can concur. Even when challenged on the price per panel there was always a good reason the cost barely wavered, even if the # panels wen't up and down by 20% or specs changed. Never could get it split by line item!

20 minutes ago, Visti said:

States it clear as day. How are they disputing that?!

They are denying it tooth and nail. 

Needless to say I never opted for the battery solution and it was never installed.

Edited by Home Farm

4 minutes ago, Visti said:

Yup, can concur. Even when challenged on the price per panel there was always a good reason the cost barely wavered, even if the # panels wen't up and down by 20% or specs changed. Never could get it split by line item!

Yeah, it’s astonishing.

This is the approved quotation for our job.

The “invoice” was a two line email saying we owe them £xxx. 

My sole point of reference for job deliverables is the approved quotation. 

The quote I'm currently working on isn't much more detailed, but at least does have the total power capacity and installed dimensions of the array listed on it. The inverter and optimisers are not specified though, I only know exact details about the inverter as I specifically asked about the model on an email chain (debating 3 phase vs dual inverters).

I assumed I'd get an itemized invoice before having to pay, but this has highlighted I really must do so.

It is curious what the charger was ever intended for. Did you ask them for battery storage? 

5 minutes ago, joth said:

It is curious what the charger was ever intended for. Did you ask them for battery storage? 

We received six quotes in the end for a variety of solutions. Two were battery options which we disregarded because they weren’t cost effective and we installed an air source heat pump.

When we dumped the batteries, we increased the size of the array and that was the final quote we received - this was the amount we approved. They clearly updated the quote, nulled the batteries (where it says “none”) and forgot to remove the Victron.

It is only now that we understand what we received that I identified the Victron and that we never received it and this component has clearly been charged for.

12 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

This is the approved quotation for our job. [ ...image deleted ...] 

[ ... ]

and

10 hours ago, Home Farm said:

[...] If you look at the attached image, which is a snippet of the final invoice [...]

The image can't be from both the quotation and the invoice: indeed

15 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

[...]

[...]

Can I suggest  you ask for an invoice itemised as per the quotation?

I faced an exactly similar challenge - repeated refusals to itemise the final invoice as per the quotation - matched by repeated refusals from us to pay until the final invoice was broken into the (formally agreed ) level of detail.

2 years later we are still waiting for a detailed invoice. 

On asking in person for the detailed invoice,  the company owner actually said:

"I don't see why I should"

You couldn't make it up.

11 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

I’ve requested an itemized invoice

What have you actually got there that you know of.

So what make and model of inverter, number of modules, total capacity of modules.

Can then try and work backwards to see if you got ripped off, which is, I think, what you really want to know.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

refusals from us to pay until the final invoice was broken into the (formally agreed ) level of detail.

They obviously don’t need the money!!!! Makes you wonder what they are trying to hide?

48 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

This is the approved quotation for our job.

My sole point of reference for job deliverables is the approved quotation. 

Then I would have rejected the invoice and asked for one done properly.

11 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Common practice for the industry sad to say.  Been a few years since I worked in it, but the sales tactics was typical for a double glazing company, which a lot of PV companies where.

They relied a lot on people's ignorance, which seems strange to me when they were, at the time, paying £12-£16k for a 4 kWp system.

We where quoted exactly those figures 

Sap predicted a saving of around £250 -300 per year 

Unless bought very cheap and self installed The figures don’t stack up 

Is this  amount above and beyond the quotation /sales contract you signed and returned to them ?

if so your good 

If the price is what you signed for --you just got to suck it up-

sounds like a simple contract law problem 

you should have copy of what you signed and  what the job entailed

Edited by scottishjohn

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

What have you actually got there that you know of.

So what make and model of inverter, number of modules, total capacity of modules.

Can then try and work backwards to see if you got ripped off, which is, I think, what you really want to know.

Essentially, all I want to know is whether we are being charged for the Victron inverter - they are swearing blind that we aren't but they are reusing to show any proof. 

We received 22 optimisers, 22 panels (280W) - total array = 6.16kW. We then got a 6 kW inverter - they originally fitted a 5kW. Then we needed scaffolding and the outsourced/contracted company took two days to install the panels.